Gransnet forums

Chat

What is the name for a gathering of grandmas?

(113 Posts)
Janiepops Mon 07-Jun-21 17:30:17

So we have a ‘flock of birds’ a ‘ murder of crows’, a ‘ herd of cows,’ what is a gathering of grandmas? I found myself sitting with about 7 grandmas at the park after school, and thought we need a collective name, any suggestions? ???

mokryna Sun 20-Jun-21 13:11:21

A crown of grandmothers.

mamaa Sun 20-Jun-21 11:56:10

A 'gloat of grandmas'...

Granny23 Sun 20-Jun-21 10:35:19

When I meet up with several Grand Mothers it is usually a Gransnet Meet Up

Rufus2 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:54:55

as well as a grumble of granddads
Slow down a bit, Cunco! grin
Unless you're a Grandad too, I'm the only one around here and I certainly don't grumble
You might hear me howling at the moon occasionally, but that's only when I'm feeling lonely! sad
OoRoo.

Cunco Sun 13-Jun-21 09:55:18

Let's face it, these terms are all stereotypes. At times on GN, I think I have met a pride, a prowl and a hug of grans, as well as a grumble of granddads.

Kiwigramz Sat 12-Jun-21 12:20:31

How about Granologists?

Rufus2 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:12:21

there are some areas where a grand-dad might fear to tread
Cunco There are only two places where this Grandad fears to tread;
Cow pats and dog poo!
I think that makes a lot of sense! as well as a lot of mess! grin

Aunty Granddad's name works fine until you say it aloud
Mollygo I think I see your problem! smile
You're a Northerner where the short flat "a" prevails, whereas I lived for several years in the Home Counties where "Aunty" used to be pronounced "Arnty"; not "anti" wink
Cheers

Cunco Fri 11-Jun-21 22:37:27

I don't think GN is anti-grandad. I think most people do view it as mainly for grand mothers and there are some areas where a grand-dad might fear to tread but, generally, a grandad can get involved as long as he has something sensible to say. I would not be interested in GN if it was just grandads or an area like 'grandads shed'.

Having said that, I think 'a wisdom of grannies' is definitely over the top!

varian Fri 11-Jun-21 19:20:00

I like that Franco.

In many ways I feel a lot stupider than my younger self so it would be rather nice to be credited with even a smidgeon of wisdom.

Franco Fri 11-Jun-21 17:52:21

A wisdom of grannies.

Rufus2 Fri 11-Jun-21 12:28:15

Do you really thing GN is anti-granddads?
Mollygo NO! Of course not! Why would you even thing that? grin
Although you must have paused to notice at one time or another that several Grandads have fled recently! I wonder why? confused
OoRoo

nanna8 Fri 11-Jun-21 11:02:10

Bunch of old chooks

Mollygo Fri 11-Jun-21 10:37:28

Rufus2, your Aunty Granddads name works fine until you say it aloud. Do you really thing GN is anti-granddads?

Rufus2 Fri 11-Jun-21 10:22:07

Are we going to take a vote on it yet??
Lemongrove That's a very good idea!
A demonstration of English democracy at work grin
Put my tick alongside "Aunty-Grandads" because it acknowledges the presence of Grandads amongst us who are too small in number to form even a Mini-Gathering! sad
Thank you!

adaunas Thu 10-Jun-21 16:16:50

JackyB My knowledge of the word relates to ‘Gallimaufry to Coherence’, the subtitle of the latest ‘How to do it properly” book being suggested to teachers. So a gallimaufry of grandmas? Are we a confused jumble of older people?

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 16:07:59

Are we going to take a vote on it yet??

Rufus2 Thu 10-Jun-21 14:54:36

. Ah, the fear that stalks a granddad on Gransnet!
Aunty Grandads! grin

JackyB Thu 10-Jun-21 14:45:21

I had to look up gallimaufry (I thought it was the planet that Do or Who hails from):

a confused jumble or medley of things. "a glorious gallimaufry of childhood perceptions"

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 10-Jun-21 10:38:32

Yes, I like Granary as well. But my personal suggestion - a chatter of grans?

Cunco Wed 09-Jun-21 20:44:13

When I first walked into a U3A History group, I was faced with a phalanx of educated ladies of a certain age whom, secretly, I termed a coven of headmistresses. I wasn't an insult, just a reflection of my fear of what might happen if something was wrong in my talk. They were and are lovely so I need not have worried.

I am quite pleased that the notion of coven of grandmas has already been mentioned. Ah, the fear that stalks a granddad on Gransnet!

Moth62 Wed 09-Jun-21 20:20:01

I like ‘A comforting of grandmas’. Says it all really ?

Katie59 Wed 09-Jun-21 19:59:06

An Exhaltation

Because of all the good advice given

Dogsmakemesmile Wed 09-Jun-21 19:43:46

A love of grandmas

StephLP Wed 09-Jun-21 19:42:53

The Glam-mas!

Liz46 Wed 09-Jun-21 12:24:48

I like Granary too but shouldn't it be more like 'a granary of people who have given birth to people who have given birth'!