Gransnet forums

Chat

Buying a new or used car

(33 Posts)
polomint Wed 09-Jun-21 13:41:42

I don't know which thread to ask the question. As some of you may know, my husband is recovering from a broken hip and we need to buy a different car which suits. He can't go and visit lots of garages so I am trying to narrow down the cars which may suit both him and I to drive. At the moment we have 2 honda civic cars, his being more up to date than mine and we now want just one. Can any of you mention which type of car you have and how comfortable it is? I've always left buying a car up to him and we've had umpteen suggestions from the family, that I feel I'm slightly bamboozled by it all

kittylester Wed 09-Jun-21 14:24:18

I would have thought a car with a higher ride might be better for him - maybe easier to get in or out of, Civics are quite low, aren't they.

We are currently looking at new cars and have bought a What Car magazine. They are sorted in to categories with reviews. You may want a small or medium sized SUV. But really, I know nothing. grin

I hope he recovers quickly and well.

polomint Wed 09-Jun-21 14:39:10

Thanks kittylester that might be a good idea to buy the magazine

Cheesey Wed 09-Jun-21 14:44:26

We have previously changed a 10 year old Peugeot 3008 for a 1 year old Nissan Qashqai.
The Peugeot was very spacious and comfortable, and great fuel economy. The new model , although lovely to look at, is too expensive for us.
The price of the Qashqai, at one year old and with 2600 miles on the clock, was 35% less than new. Still has two years warranty. Again it is comfortable and roomy, and much easier to get in and out of than say a saloon. We are very pleased with it and will be sticking to small SUVs now I think.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Jun-21 14:57:33

We have just purchased a new Honda Crosstar which is classed as a small SUV.

We looked at loads from large SUV downwards. But there is just the two of us so In the end we decided on the Honda, and I absolutely love it!

It is a hybrid automatic - an absolute dream to drive and very easy of fuel consumption.

It isn’t the highest one, but is fine for DH with back problems.

tanith Wed 09-Jun-21 14:59:28

I bought a second hand Nissan Qashqai when I had my second hip-replacement, I’m very happy with it. It’s so much easier to get in and out of, it’s good on fuel consumption I love the reversing camera and built in sat-nav.. I’d recommend them.

Mildmanneredgran Wed 09-Jun-21 15:06:35

Qashqai vote here from me as well. Lovely and comfy, and I bought second-hand from the dealer.

kittylester Wed 09-Jun-21 15:12:18

Do you know that the glass roof in a Qashqai is strong enough to support a bear? grin

I had a Qashqai and didn't like it at all. I'm not sure why.

polomint Wed 09-Jun-21 15:13:16

Thank you all. Every little bit of information should help. Interested in other's opinions

Jaxjacky Wed 09-Jun-21 15:34:15

I bought a Skoda Karoq new last September, it’s a mid size SUV, so it’s reasonably high, it’s roomy (I’m 5’ 11) and has a good boot size, which is important to me. As for fuel consumption, long journeys etc I honestly can’t say as with Covid, we haven’t done any, I’ve not even done 10,000 miles yet. But, I’m very happy with it.

muse Wed 09-Jun-21 15:39:54

WhatCar website is very good. Covers every aspect.

I bought a 2017 Audi petrol automatic yesterday?. I’m tall, have a troublesome left hip and need a 5 door car (dog). Did a lot of research and didn’t want to go round lots of garages or travel far to look. When I’d decided on the Audi, I asked the nearest Audi dealer to let me know when one came in. Took 2nd one they had. I compared prices on Autotrader website.

My Audi is a med SUV. First automatic I’ve had. Means I don’t need use left leg at all now. Couldn’t drive for more than 1/2 hour before without being in agony. Drove for nearly an hour today and love it. No hip pain. Brilliant for getting in and out of. Audi do a variety of models. Depends on your budget.

When looking on WhatCar website about the Audi, it suggested two others makes.

They also have a video review. Same website.

Teacheranne Wed 09-Jun-21 18:15:50

I’ve just bought, well ordered, a new Ford Puma, classed as a small suv. I did a lot of research of all small suvs as I have a Suzuki Splash currently which I love. I want a car with a raised roof and seat for better vision when driving as well as getting in and out but I also wanted the smallest automatic one on the market. My first choice was the Ford Ecosport, smallest length and width suv, but they no longer do it in an automatic so went up a size to the Puma. I just hope I made the right decision, I love being able to parallel park my Splash in places bigger cars won’t fit!

vampirequeen Wed 09-Jun-21 19:41:22

Have a look at the Citroen Berlingo, Fiat Doblo and VW Caddy. They're based on a van but make very nice cars.

J52 Wed 09-Jun-21 20:16:59

I have a VW T Cross, a small SUV, but very spacious internally.
I had to buy it new because they were a brand new model, but now they’re 2 years old there should be some second hand ones. They have excellent reviews and are full of safety features giving them NCap 5*. You won’t see many on the road yet, as Covid meant there was a long waiting time to get one.
The advantage Of buying new was that I could add the specific extras I wanted. I regularly do a round 600 mile trip and it’s very comfortable.

crazyH Wed 09-Jun-21 20:24:32

You will need a high seater car........a brand new car starts losing money as soon as you drive away from the forecourt- so my advice would be to buy a 2 or 3 year old car, from a dealership. Some cars come with 6 or 7 year warranties, like Kia. Good luck with your car-hunting .

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Jun-21 20:25:17

I have a Honda Jazz. I like the slightly higher driving position and I find it comfortable to get in and out of with a chronic back problem. It was in the dealership for a few days recently for a bodywork repair. They lent me a courtesy car, a Honda Civic. Lovely car to drive but I felt very low down and struggled to get in and out of it. I was happy to get back on the road with my Jazz.

JaneJudge Wed 09-Jun-21 20:27:53

I agree with everyone who says look for a higher car, so it's easier to get in and out of. I have a Nissan too but an x trail, so it is quite big. For the two of you a small suv would suit?

If you like Honda's the CRV is nice or smaller version the HRV smile

crazyH Wed 09-Jun-21 20:30:34

I agree with Grannynw about the Honda Jazz - I drove one for a few years and loved it till I fancied a change - sold it and bought a Kia, which is also good.

Georgesgran Wed 09-Jun-21 20:59:43

How about exploring PCP or whatever it’s called. Sort of ‘leased’ for 3 years then either returned or bought with a final payment? At least then you could change it for something else as your DH recovers, or if you didn’t like it. Most have a reasonable annual mileage which can be ignored if you intend to buy at the end. On the surface it looks expensive but most cars will lose 35% of their value in the first couple of years - so that needs to be factored in.

Greyduster Wed 09-Jun-21 21:24:15

I hated the Civic - it was so low it felt like a coffin to me! The HRV is nice to drive and nippy. Loved the Jazz - I’d have another in a heartbeat!

kittylester Wed 09-Jun-21 21:27:15

I've had 3 CRVs which I have loved. They only do a self charging hybrid now though. A lot more money for not much saving in fuel.

Blossoming Wed 09-Jun-21 21:32:27

I had a Qashqai, really liked it. Before that I had a Subaru Forrester which was also excellent. Have just ordered a Honda CR V EX petrol hybrid.

Blossoming Wed 09-Jun-21 21:35:49

Should have said I can’t get in and out of low cars!

Ashcombe Wed 09-Jun-21 21:58:03

I have one resurfaced and one replacement hip. I had a new Fiesta Zetec Ecoboost automatic six months before the full replacement surgery. The driver’s seat is adjustable in three ways, including height and I’ve always been comfortable even on long trips with no issues getting in and out.

It’s a great car to drive as it’s economic, responsive and corners well. Zero road tax for one year and then £30 p.a. There is a reason why Fiestas are so popular!

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 09:59:12

The toyota rav4 hybrid is pretty snazzy too