Gransnet forums

Chat

Shoplifting

(129 Posts)
annsixty Mon 14-Jun-21 12:06:25

On Saturday my GD and I had the first proper outing for a very long time.
We went to a local small town/ large village.
Had coffee and a toastie outside a small cafe and looked in a few shops.
We went into a very small Boots and while in there witnessed the most blatant/ audacious shoplifting episode.
A young man in shorts and tee shirt apparently followed us in and went straight to a corner display and just dropped bottle after bottle of aftershave into a plastic bag and walked out.
He could not be seen by the only staff member on the floor who was behind a large plastic screened counter, she was far from a young woman.
She seemed to be very unhappy with myself , my GD and another woman who had all seen the incident and didn’t react.
It happened so quickly it was hard to comprehend just what was happening and we were shocked and surprised.
I am almost 84 and can’t move well at all and most certainly couldn’t and wouldn’t intervene.
My GD felt the same, 5feet nothing she would not have stood a chance against a young fit man.
What would you have done?

Tizliz Thu 17-Jun-21 10:37:18

Sometime ago I was shopping in Boots with a colleague and watched horrified as she took the price sticker off something cheap and put it on the expensive item she wanted - must have been late ‘70’s. Though I didn’t challenge her she was stupid as I worked in personnel and she didn’t get the promotion she was applying for.

Antonia Wed 16-Jun-21 17:27:49

I saw a TV programme about a very run down town in the north east. No jobs, Universal credit late - the men survived by stealing what they could and selling it on eBay.
I suppose they could use food banks, but what about rent and other bills? If there is literally no money coming in, it's hard to be too judgemental about stealing.

oodles Wed 16-Jun-21 16:12:46

@LilyH, I once saw someone using a roll on deodorant and puting it back on the shelf with the top on, think I'd rather she had stolen it, at least with a spray all you have is a can with 2 armpitsworth of deodorant gone, not risking picking up something that had rolled around someone random's armpits shock

Dinahlee Wed 16-Jun-21 13:16:16

I think you did the right thing! God forbid it you had intervened and got hurt! Your granddaughter would have been horrified …shops usually know who these people are and it’s there job to protect the shop stock not a lovely customer who was enjoying a day with your lovely granddaughter x

timetogo2016 Wed 16-Jun-21 13:14:13

Nothing new there then annsixty,i see shoplifters on a regular basis,i tell the security and very little is done.
One elderly man was blatantly putting grocery in his rucksack,i told him that he is being watched and he shrugged.
You did the right thing by not putting yourself at risk.

Fernbergien Wed 16-Jun-21 11:21:13

Saw an offer a mans shaver at Boots. Decided to get for husband. Looked on line. Plenty in stock but the first two local Boots I went to had none. In both cases they had all been stolen!! It was third time lucky.

Callistemon Tue 15-Jun-21 23:03:22

I know it's a typo but that did make me laugh, Nannina, imagining someone trying to lift an aircraft carrier or cruise liner
?

Nannina Tue 15-Jun-21 23:00:33

I witnessed a ship lifter and reported it to the store security who challenged him as he was leaving the store. He pushed passed security who told me he was not able to follow and apprehend him offsite

pinkjj27 Tue 15-Jun-21 21:50:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Harris27 Tue 15-Jun-21 20:40:21

I would nit have done anymore than you. I’m only 61 but I wouldn’t risk personal safety.

Elvis58 Tue 15-Jun-21 20:13:11

Every thing stolen,us the honest shopper pays for.Its a sad fact of life that these shop lifters face no consequences so are brazen about their thefts.I would not intervene but would report it to the store its all you can do.

Frogsinmygarden Tue 15-Jun-21 20:09:52

I would and have ‘shopped’ thieves in shops etc. Funnily enough one of those times was in Boots too! It was around Christmas time and two adults walked in (I’ll call a spade a spade- they were ‘travellers’ and please don’t ask me how I know). The woman proceeded to point out cosmetic and toiletries gift boxes and the male obligingly dropped them into his bag. They were blatantly doing it in front of me! I informed a uniformed member of staff and they were so slow to act both of the thieves escaped!

Grandmama Tue 15-Jun-21 19:36:24

I have witnessed two occurrences, both about ten years ago. A male shopper at my local supermarket was in an aisle with a basket of goods. The shop was quiet. He put all the items in a carrier bag, left the basket on the floor and walked out. There were no staff around to alert immediately, when I found a member of staff it was too late to do anything.

The other incident was at a small community branch of a national supermarket. A man put several cans of alcohol in the inside pocket of his jacket. No staff were close for me to alert and quite honestly I was worried he'd hear me and wait for me outside the shop. After he'd left I told one of the counter staff, she didn't seem bothered, simply said 'It happens' - or something along those lines.

annsixty Tue 15-Jun-21 18:20:49

I also could have whipped out the whale bones in my corset and beaten him about the head with them.
Theses thoughts only occur after the event don’t they?
I was very slow.

Callistemon Tue 15-Jun-21 18:13:29

Yorki

Annesixty . You could've done something, surely .

I already told her what she should have done.

A flying rugby tackle.
Then she could have hit him with her handbag and pinned him to the ground with her hatpin.

Kali2 Tue 15-Jun-21 18:07:18

Remember shoplifiting is not just something which the 'under classes' do.

Remember Dame Isobel Barnet, very well off and condemned for shop-lifting- with reports that it had happened before. In the 80s, a very well educated friend in a very senior position was caught and condemned and had to move to the other side of the country. Many more examples available.

CBBL Tue 15-Jun-21 18:03:16

I would have probably been just as shocked, and would have reported it when I went to the counter.
Like other posters, I don't think anyone should challenge a shoplifter, unless they are confident that they could hold the person, and/or defend themselves against the person concerned.

Kimi64 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:47:13

You did as much as can be expected ,I wouldn't give it another thought .Im a shop worker and we would take the information and thank the customer that brought it to our attention .Job done .

Saggi Tue 15-Jun-21 15:39:36

Absolutely correct.... I worked in retail for over thirty years..... police don’t even bother coming out if you report it. Nothing WOULD be done !! When I was still working 5 years ago... the criteria was they wouldn’t come out for less than £200 worth stolen. I’m sure that’s not official ...but it was certainly the case!

Lilikemaho Tue 15-Jun-21 15:31:20

Being a bit pedantic pinkjj27

magshard20 Tue 15-Jun-21 15:13:27

The main problem these days is you have no idea if they are carrying knives, I would certainly NOT get involved, purely because of the uncertainty of weapons they could carry. My local Boots have no security on the door, and are targeted on a regular basis, think the staff got fed up of chasing them (and not being able to catch them). My nephew a few years back was outside this same Boots and caught a youngish man, after the staff had shouted, as he left the store, my nephew jumped on this man, sat on him until the police arrived and earned himself a photo in the local paper ( not sure I would have done that, because of recriminations) needless to say he moved away not long after the episode with the shoplifter. But I have heard that Boots will not pay for a security guard, so what do they expect?

pinkjj27 Tue 15-Jun-21 15:09:25

Lilikemaho

Totally agree with you babzi big company's can well afford it plus they have insurance ( pinkjj27 ) I am not a troll my mistake message was meant for Monica not you and I am entitled to my opinion people should mind there own business

I know it wasnt meant for me. I dont care who it was for. I think nasty messages that call people names are Everyones business and no sorry I wont mind mine.
I had a student who killed herself over a hurtful message like this on facebook.
Everyone has a right to an opinion but it should be expressed kindly. Calling someone a busybody is just hurtful and could affect someones mental health. End of.

Grannynannywanny Tue 15-Jun-21 15:04:52

Yorki Annesixty . You could've done something, surely

Yes, what was 84 year old Annesixty thinking of. Surely she must have been able to rugby tackle him to the ground and sit on him till the police arrived. Or at least whack him with a copper pipe she keeps handy like you Yorki ?

Lilikemaho Tue 15-Jun-21 14:59:47

Totally agree with you babzi big company's can well afford it plus they have insurance ( pinkjj27 ) I am not a troll my mistake message was meant for Monica not you and I am entitled to my opinion people should mind there own business

Yorki Tue 15-Jun-21 14:53:58

Annesixty . You could've done something, surely .