Gransnet forums

Chat

Shoplifting

(129 Posts)
annsixty Mon 14-Jun-21 12:06:25

On Saturday my GD and I had the first proper outing for a very long time.
We went to a local small town/ large village.
Had coffee and a toastie outside a small cafe and looked in a few shops.
We went into a very small Boots and while in there witnessed the most blatant/ audacious shoplifting episode.
A young man in shorts and tee shirt apparently followed us in and went straight to a corner display and just dropped bottle after bottle of aftershave into a plastic bag and walked out.
He could not be seen by the only staff member on the floor who was behind a large plastic screened counter, she was far from a young woman.
She seemed to be very unhappy with myself , my GD and another woman who had all seen the incident and didn’t react.
It happened so quickly it was hard to comprehend just what was happening and we were shocked and surprised.
I am almost 84 and can’t move well at all and most certainly couldn’t and wouldn’t intervene.
My GD felt the same, 5feet nothing she would not have stood a chance against a young fit man.
What would you have done?

trisher Mon 14-Jun-21 15:13:39

There was a TV programme about the small mining vilages in the NE where drug taking is a major problem. One of the ways of funding the habit is exactly the sort of shopifting you are describing. The shoplifter is often already known to the police. If he is picked up, he will already have sold the after-shave and bought more drugs. He won't care if he is caught, drugs are readily available in prisons. You did eactly the right thing.

Mogsmaw Mon 14-Jun-21 15:33:00

When I worked in retail the owner told us how she had tackled a shoplifter who stole a handbag, chasing her into the alley and getting the bag back.
When it was just me and the boy I told him if he went chasing after shoplifters he’d have me to answer to. I wasn’t going to endanger myself and I certainly didn’t expect him to put himself at risk.

Callistemon Mon 14-Jun-21 15:59:04

trisher

There was a TV programme about the small mining vilages in the NE where drug taking is a major problem. One of the ways of funding the habit is exactly the sort of shopifting you are describing. The shoplifter is often already known to the police. If he is picked up, he will already have sold the after-shave and bought more drugs. He won't care if he is caught, drugs are readily available in prisons. You did eactly the right thing.

Yes, that is commonplace, and it does go on everywhere.
Even in "lovely" small towns.

lemsip Mon 14-Jun-21 16:22:47

I was coming down the steps out of a large branch of Boots in a big town one christmas when there was a sudden commotion right behind me.... a young man had exitted close to me as cover carrying an armful of boxed gift sets, know bag just in his arms and the security guys grabbed him.....I was shocked...that's what they do, use an older person for cover.

Bodach Mon 14-Jun-21 16:53:31

M0nica

I would have spoken very loudly and told the young man to put the goods back. Other people would have turned to look at him, and you could, if you had your phone with youhave taken a photo of him or pretended to.

With a bit of luck, he would have dropped his loot and run

I'm with M0nica on this one - indeed, I have done exactly that more than once, saying VERY loudly, "Excuse me; are you planning to leave without paying for that/these?" On two of the occasions, the individuals (one male; one female) put the item(s) back; the other time, the male shoplifter ran out of the shop with the goods. I have also stepped in to stop someone stealing (of all things) an advertisement placard from a London Underground train - whilst everyone else sat mutely and watched. In the middle of Peterborough a few years ago, I ran into the road to drag someone off beating an old man to a pulp (literally: his face had the texture of a jelly), and one evening on a London bus (No 38) in Islington, myself and another passenger intervened to stop a drunken bully dragging his wife/partner on her back down the aisle by her hair. On both these occasions, absolutely no-one else raised a finger to assist - other than dialling 999 at my shouted request. Both times, the police turned up in time to arrest the offenders - who, for whatever reason, stayed around the scene.
Everyone has to make their own judgement about what they are going to do when faced with these types of things, but I believe strongly that "do nothing; it's not my concern" should not be the default answer.

welbeck Mon 14-Jun-21 17:00:49

we did not need that horrid description of the beaten man.
there is a difference in trying to help a person being attacked, within the limits of our ability, eg may be calling police.
but that does not extend to protecting the stock of a shop i happen to be in. that does not warrant any risk to a person's health and safety, including mine.
the idea of filming them may also bring forth violence.

AGAA4 Mon 14-Jun-21 17:04:51

My D was in a supermarket near where she worked. A man confronted a shoplifter and he pulled a knife out of his pocket. The police came promptly and nobody was hurt fortunately.

I don't think anyone should approach a shoplifter as they could have a weapon. Annoying that they may get away with theft but better than someone being hurt.

FarNorth Mon 14-Jun-21 17:11:45

I expect the assistant was annoyed with her employers but took it out on you.
It would be completely unreasonable to endanger yourself by trying to do anything.

Calendargirl Mon 14-Jun-21 17:57:42

M0nica

I would have spoken very loudly and told the young man to put the goods back. Other people would have turned to look at him, and you could, if you had your phone with youhave taken a photo of him or pretended to.

With a bit of luck, he would have dropped his loot and run

I don’t know you Monica, but judging by your posts on other matters, I can well imagine you doing this!

I’m sure you would have put the fear of God in him, and he would have left the goods behind and scarpered!

Yammy Mon 14-Jun-21 18:19:21

The most blatant I have ever seen was in a Debenhams store. It was sale time and all the shoes were on racks. I had my dd with me. A woman wobbled in with a shoe she had broken the heel off. She pretended to try shoes on then walked out of the shop in a pair that fit leaving her old broken pair behind. There were other shoppers there and at first, we all just looked at each other then as a group approached a member of staff and told her. She just said "Oh! it is always happening the racks are too near the door. "
Years later DD worked in a large prestigious London store and she said more clothes went out unpaid than anyone would imagine. All hidden under the women's own clothes. They came in thin with voluminous outer clothes and went out fat. They were challenged by store police if the police were positive of what had happened.
As has been said we the honest pay with higher prices.

Mercmonkey Tue 15-Jun-21 10:36:47

I would have done the same as you. The people who do that aren’t to bothered about pushing an old person down, or worse, to get away. It’s not worth getting hurt for.

Worthingpatchworker Tue 15-Jun-21 10:39:28

All you can do is be a good witness. Take a photo.....cautiously follow.....give as much information and detail to the shop and police as you can.
A good witness has more value than a ‘have a go’ injured or dead hero.

Mishy Tue 15-Jun-21 10:43:59

I did a spell working in Retail and it happens multiply times throughout the day even in Charity Shops, there is a system they all use, there are shops and displays they target, they just know when and where. I would not tackle them, you are not paid too and we are told not to manhandle anyone as you could be attacked/accused of assault etc. If the shops wanted to stop it, they could invest in more security measures. But the thieves do not care after all we are the ones who ultimately pay for the goods, not the lifter.

razzmatazz Tue 15-Jun-21 10:45:00

Sometimes large stores have beepers at the door when stolen goods have been pocketed. I would have thought Boots would have had this in place, if no security guard

essjay Tue 15-Jun-21 10:45:15

my friend and i were in a local iceland store, at the checkout, when at another empty checkout a woman walked through with her shopping bag trolley full of food. the staff just looked and said they were not paid enough to chase after them!

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 15-Jun-21 10:46:35

Years ago an aunt of mine worked in Boots. She saw someone shoplifting and tackled them as they left the shop. She was knocked to the ground and badly injured her hip, which was already a 'replacement'. She thought she was doing the right thing.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Jun-21 10:47:02

He'll probably take the aftershave around a the local pubs, sell it for a few quid to feed his habit.
A few years ago, thieves used to nick meat from the co-op and sell it to the customers in the pub across the road.
They eventually started doing it to order, I believe

jaylucy Tue 15-Jun-21 10:48:12

My son used to work in our local Co Op. He hadn't been working from there for long before a man came in, picked up several cans of beer and a couple of bottles of wine and walked out of the shop.
My then 17 year old son chased him out of the shop and when he caught up with him, the shoplifter threw the items at him and the bottles of wine shattered on the path.
When the police arrived, he was told off for chasing after the guy as he could have put himself in danger.
This was 20 years ago and before so many were carrying knives.
There was possibly a high chance that the man in your case was carrying a knife, needles , or something sharp that could have injured you.
There is also the case that unless the bottles were marked by something that could have identified them as coming from that particular branch, that it would not be possible to prove they had been stolen from there- without that proof, it would have gone no further even if the man had been caught!

Pearlsaminger Tue 15-Jun-21 10:49:20

The aftershave will be sold on cheaply to buy drugs or alcohol. People do the same here with the big jars of coffee and meat, which is why it has alarm stickers on it now.

I was in Iceland one day with my daughter and saw a shoplifter filling his trouser pockets and coat with bottles of wine. I did challenge him stating that he was making all of our shopping bills go up because of his thieving.

He came right up to my face shouting ‘I’m testing it for them - they know I’m doing it!’

I actually laughed in his face when he said that, but it did make me angry. So I said in a very loud voice ‘Hey everyone, this guy is testing the alcohol for Iceland, so I’m guessing we can all take our shopping and test it too!’ Everyone turned to state at him and he sheepishly put the bottles back and walked out! Reported it to staff who shrugged their shoulders and said ‘nothing we can do!’

Another time, same store. A woman walked in, got a trolley, filled it to the brim… and walked out with it. No one challenged her so I didn’t bother either. I’m guessing she was hungry…

LovelyLady Tue 15-Jun-21 10:49:35

Perhaps the store will consider more advanced CCTV.

Tanjamaltija Tue 15-Jun-21 10:50:20

If it's someone I could tackle, I always say put it back, or I'll snitch - and mostly they do, or move away. If it's not, I try and draw the attention of the salesperson or cashier, but I am not always successful. I'm too tired and too old to want to get injured.

NemosMum Tue 15-Jun-21 10:52:21

Sorry you had this unpleasant experience! I'm also of the Monica school. I would have spoken in stentorian tones and have done so before. In my 20s, I was in the police force (okay, it was nearly 5 decades ago), but although I am no longer in my salad days, I have the confidence to do so. Words to the effect of "Oi, son, put that lot back, you're on camera!" and possibly shout to any staff, "There's a young lad stealing aftershave (description of lad)." However, I'm 14 years younger than you, and my police officer advice would be: "Do not put yourself at risk. Take careful note of the offender's appearance and events, then hand in your contact details to the store manager". Many shops have a contact chain, so will report an incident to other shops in the vicinity. He might well have been caught nearby in a store with security personnel. The staff member's attitude was very rude and unnecessary. She should have thanked you and rung the police immediately, passing on your description.

Janburry Tue 15-Jun-21 10:53:37

Unfortunately it is true when shop assistant tell you it's not worth it as nothing is done about it, l was a manager of a retail outlet and was told if the person is in the shop with the goods they haven't stolen them, once they leave the premises with the goods, yes they're stolen but your not insured if they get violent and l suspect many shoplifters know this. In the shop l can demand the items back but without a six foot burly security guard for back up l can only hope they comply, l think theft is factored into the cost of everyone else's goods.

Nannashirlz Tue 15-Jun-21 10:53:38

I’m a store manager and I’ve had many a customer info me of certain ppl in store. I wouldn’t ask anyone to tackle them. They could be carrying a weapon or something. I don’t anymore I just radio the police and let them check cctv and tactic them. I did catch them years ago until one beat me up. But that was before ppl carried knives in the 90s. But most ppl don’t want to get involved with anything nowadays.

sazz1 Tue 15-Jun-21 10:54:41

I wouldn't have said anything as it's not worth getting stabbed for a few bottles of aftershave.
My OH confronted a pickpocket whose hand he grabbed in his back pocket trying to get his wallet. She denied it so he shouted loudly what she had done. She still denied it and left the store so brazen. Another shopper came up to us after and said the woman had tried to grab her purse in a nearby shop.
When a pickpocket grabbed at OHs wallet on the Paris metro he broke his fingers but didn't do this to this woman as she was female. OH has a short fuse with thieves and is a big strong man.