Gransnet forums

Chat

Iphones - anyone know the cheapest model that allows wifi calling

(51 Posts)
Shandy57 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:09:21

Hello everyone, I've just discovered that a) my Iphone is too old to allow wifi calling and b) giff gaff don't offer it.

I've just missed a chance of a lifetime call because the signal is so poor here.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 26-Jun-21 12:22:13

My DH has recently bought a reconditioned iphone8 it works with his other apple things so he is happy!! Last year I treated myself to an apple SE new, the cheapest new phone I could get from Apple.

Shandy57 Thu 24-Jun-21 16:46:10

ha ha thanks toscalily, I did have a mini panic attack when I thought I'd completely messed up - and found the Tesco customer care so 'uncaring'. Such a goose chase.

I couldn't find my research for a while, I've stopped being organised with my 'notebooks' and knew only one of the providers offer wifi calling on PAYG. I eventually found my notes and will see how I get along with '3'. I'll keep my old phone going for as long as possible, I didn't like the larger SE 2020.

toscalily Thu 24-Jun-21 14:30:10

Haircut, thought you would have been tearing it all out by now grin Hope you can soon breath a sigh of relief and say "finally"

Shandy57 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:05:15

Honestly, I give up. I changed the DPD phone collection on line yesterday to Friday - I've just had an email to say 'Ronnie' will be arriving here at 13.42 - 1442. I'm having my vaccination at 14.06 and my hair cut today, I'm not cancelling.

Grannynannywanny Wed 23-Jun-21 19:41:56

Glad to hear you’re getting it all sorted out Shandy57. I had a mobile contract with Tesco many years ago. I was glad to end it. I found their customer service left a lot to be desired.

Shandy57 Wed 23-Jun-21 18:51:44

And thanks for the DPD info, I'll check out where their nearest shop is. I asked the neighbour opposite to take delivery of the phone as I was at the vets with my dog, but don't want to ask her again as she has to do the school run.

Shandy57 Wed 23-Jun-21 18:50:00

Hello Grannynannywanny, thank you for all your help. I'm finally on wifi calling with '3' on my 2016 Iphone SE!

After peeling the pretty coloured plastic from a paperclip I a managed to get the sim tray to pop out, and replaced it with a £15 PAYG sim. Wifi call showed up straight away, how I'll fare when I'm in a 'white out' area I don't know, but I am most concerned with not being contactable/able to phone out from home.

Tesco's customer service has been appalling, even if they could have supplied what I wanted I wouldn't use them. I had a look at my Talk Talk bill and yesterday's call on my landline cost me £6.60, I'll definitely take up their call offer. When I rang today I was passed around but did finally manage to get my PAC code, I can try to port it in 24 hours. So glad I'm connected again.

All ready for my second vaccination now, off to find the paracetamol!

Grannynannywanny Wed 23-Jun-21 15:49:58

Shandy57 it might be possible for you to drop off the package at a DPD authorised collection point. If you google DPD drop off it will find you local shops who participate.

I discovered this recently and used it. I found that our small local shop 500 yards from my house is an agent. There were multiple shops to chose from within a couple of miles from my house.

You can have a DPD package delivered there to avoid waiting home and likewise you can deposit a package there to be uplifted. It was simple to organise online.

Shandy57 Wed 23-Jun-21 15:35:32

I've just had an email to say DPD are coming tomorrow instead - and I can't be here all day, I've got my second vaccination. Have had to change the collection day to Friday. Give me strength!

Shandy57 Wed 23-Jun-21 10:29:38

Well, changing provider isn't for the weak hearted is it. I cancelled the new phone and contract last Friday, and since then, have phoned Tesco Mobile every day to try to get them to stop porting my number.

Having been told on my first call it wasn't possible to stop the porting, and to reset the new phone to factory settings, apparently they have been sending texts to it. It's in the box ready to return, securely taped up.

When I rang for the fourth time yesterday using my land line which costs the earth, during the 30 minute call the customer service agent said my cancellation hadn't been actioned. She assured me she had activated the cancellation and it will be collected 'some time' today. Luckily it's hot so my dog is happy to stay in the garden.

Giff Gaff cut me off yesterday, and I have to wait until 6 pm tonight to get my 'PAYG' PAC code to get my number back.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to find a new provider and have my number back soon. So frustrating especially as I'm waiting for results from my dog's tests at the vet.

Shandy57 Sun 20-Jun-21 16:49:50

Isn't it interesting toscalily, I would have liked to have gone with Vodaphone, they were the nicest provider when I had to cancel when my husband died. For me here Vodaphone doesn't have indoors for 3G, or 4G calling. Now I've done some research there are quite a lot of black spots which I'll avoid in the winter when dog walking. I did know there isn't a signal in the village pub!

toscalily Sun 20-Jun-21 15:42:26

As I posted earlier, we are in a black spot and had to have a booster box. When wifi calling became more generally available and both our phones supported this we bought PAYG cards from several providers to try out ourselves (all over the house & garden) because we had a similar experience of being told in the shop that this or that would work and it didn't (long story) we finally settled with vodafone and have had no trouble since then. I commiserate with you, very frustrating when you need to be able to contact and be contactable. We see neighbours, visitors, workmen etc., outside waving their phones about trying to get a signal it is so bad here.

Shandy57 Sun 20-Jun-21 15:01:53

Well, I didn't expect to be doing this research, but I've now done a comparison chart with the big 5, from 2G to 5G. It really varies between outdoors/indoors, where the masts are, and high buildings. The castle here is always blamed, fortunately I am placed between two so hopefully will be OK. And I didn't know that Vodaphone's cabling was underground!

Signal wise I have a choice between O2 and Sky, let's see what happens.

Shandy57 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:59:20

Morning - just! I've just asked three neighbours and they are on Sky mobile, which I'd never have considered. Added to my research list smile

Grannynannywanny Sun 20-Jun-21 09:15:58

Shandy57 could you maybe ask a neighbour or visiting family/friends which network they have and if they have a good signal in your area? That might help you reach a decision on which network is going to be the best one for you.

Shandy57 Sun 20-Jun-21 09:06:29

Thanks Grannynannywanny - unfortunately looks like the '3' mobile provider coverage in my area is only for '3' - I seem to be about ten miles outside the '4' area. I'm investigating Vodaphone this morning. I'm able to see the castle from my front window, people blame it for blocking the signal.

Grannynannywanny Sat 19-Jun-21 22:05:27

Glad to hear you are sorted out Shandy57. I hope it all works out well for you now ?

Shandy57 Sat 19-Jun-21 21:34:17

Hello Grannynannywanny, I've just bought the 3 sim from Tesco, they are the only people that support wifi calling on a PAYG sim. I don't want to sign up and then find the facility isn't available. Waiting until tomorrow to 'port' my number back, then I'll give it a go! If I am chosen for the tv show I do need to be contactable!

Grannynannywanny Sat 19-Jun-21 10:02:32

That’s good Shandy57. Unless you are particularly wanting a new phone then you might get away with a monthly sim only and no contract. That’ll give you a chance to try it out.

Shandy57 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:46:31

thanks Grannynannywanny it is an Iphone SE IOS 14.6 - I'm sure I bought it in 2016 after my husband died. I'll give the 02 sim a go. Amazingly three bars this morning!

Grannynannywanny Sat 19-Jun-21 09:17:24

Shandy57 is your old SE still working? Maybe it’s just a change of provider you need. I have a 2016 SE with an o2 sim and it works well with WiFi calling. If you’re phone is still functioning maybe you could try a 4 week sim for any of the networks that support WiFi calling.

Shandy57 Sat 19-Jun-21 08:53:17

Thanks Lin52, it's a minefield of phones and offers out there. I had a text from Tesco at 5 am to say they have started the porting process - I have to wait for it to happen, then get a PAC number to get it back again sad

I have found a list of mobile providers who offer wifi calling now, and there are other phones on offer. I found this new Iphone to be quite a bit larger than my old SE, I might venture into the phone shop in the town and see if we are allowed to touch them yet, doubt it.

Lin52 Sat 19-Jun-21 08:21:29

Look at other phones, apart from myself and DSIL, all my family have IPhones, extortionate prices and stuck with Apple, I’m using Huawei, and Google marries up with my other Gadgets, including the tv, brilliant phone, takes fantastic pictures, my next will be a Samsung, which I’ve had before, mainly due to Google problems with China.

Grannynannywanny Fri 18-Jun-21 21:22:40

Glad you’ve managed to get it sorted out Shandy57. I would have made the same mistake and assumed that as Tesco use O2 network they would have the same services.

I hope you find what you need.

Shandy57 Fri 18-Jun-21 21:07:52

Thanks Grannynannywanny, after about an hour of transferring my phone contents over and 'porting' my number I've managed to reset the new one to factory settings, it's going back on Wednesday, I've got to wait for DPD as it's a lithium battery.

I really thought I'd cracked it, I checked O2 did it, and the phone could use it, Tesco should offer the service as they are piggy backing on 02. Every little hasn't helped this time!