Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a special 'talent'?

(117 Posts)
ixion Wed 16-Jun-21 15:27:16

Reading through so many threads, I see fine knitters, seamstresses, artists, potters, crafters, cake decorators...
Then I thought- 'how would I answer this?'. Sadly decided I was a Jack Of All Trades bur passable in only a few.

Do you have a special talent?
Forget the modesty and share!

Aveline Thu 17-Jun-21 18:49:25

I'm really good at watching TV

dorabelle100 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:47:55

my daughter used to say that my talent was i made other people realise what talents they had.........

LizM567 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:37:53

I can sing Moscow Nights in Russian. No-one ever believes me until I rev up!

JulieNoted Thu 17-Jun-21 18:34:19

Well I'm pretty damned good at sewing, and make probably 80% of my granddaughter's wardrobe. My daughter absolutely loves that her little girl's clothes are unique and she will never find herself at a party wearing the same dress as someone else wink. I make the odd thing for my daughter as well, but never seem to make anything for myself.

I also make bags, soft toys, pencil cases, make up bags, things like that, but I absolutely hate making curtains, and avoid them like the plague grin

Musicgirl Thu 17-Jun-21 18:20:33

As might be imagined by my username, I am a musician. I play and teach piano, violin and viola. I can also play the church organ well enough for services and can sing to the standard where I am useful in choirs as l sing the harmony rather than the tune. I have a truly blessed as l have been able to have a lifelong career in my talent and passion. Reading this back, it looks rather boastful but believe me, there are many things l am not talented at - anything sports related is the first to spring to mind!

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:10:14

coconut after 6 years and 2 prosecco’s I can still stand on my own 2 feet, sadly no one is amused……..

TwiceAsNice Thu 17-Jun-21 18:04:48

I can knit
Write poetry
And I make brilliant sausage rolls, cheese straws, and Victoria sandwiches ( the cookery verified by my children)

grannyrebel7 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:00:52

Sunday lunch and I'm good with dogs. Have written lots of funny poems for my colleagues and one for my son's wedding. That's about it.

Coconut Thu 17-Jun-21 17:56:24

After 69 years and 2 Prosecco ‘s I can still stand on my head ? much to my grandchildren’s amusement ?

Party4 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:52:10

My younger sister has all the talent in our family my efforts were never good or neat enough,each to their own.We work well together though, I come up with the ideas, project costingsand resourcing and she makes it work.Unfortunatley my contribution goes unrecognised as she presents the finished goods.I tell my DGCs everyone is good at something but some take longer than others to find it.I can whistle loudly through my fingers not very ladylike but the kids are impressed does that count.

Elvis58 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:23:48

Cooking l enjoy it, and if l do say so myself am extremely good at it.

Lilyflower Thu 17-Jun-21 16:55:44

I can write a sentence and make the reader laugh. Not this one or the one before, obviously.

tictacnana Thu 17-Jun-21 16:12:02

Drawing and painting and pastry that doesn’t cause indigestion. My GC think that I can do ANYTHING which is a lovely thought but not true .

Grandmabatty Thu 17-Jun-21 15:41:52

Rufus I should proof read more carefully! I did mean procrastinate.

leeds22 Thu 17-Jun-21 15:39:32

Another jack/Jill of all trades here. Can’t dance, write poetry, sing or knit. Used to be able to make own clothes and curtains but not any more. Passable cook; I like baking but it tends to ‘taste better than it looks’. Can change a plug, check the oil and water in the car.

Rufus2 Thu 17-Jun-21 15:33:09

My special talent is prevarication
Grandmabatty and procrastination by the look of it, or are you actually avoiding telling the truth! grin
OoRoo

Cabbie21 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:57:11

Another procrastinator here. I ought to be catching up with various bits of filing of bank statements etc.

No practical skills apart from singing.
I am good at filling in forms.

GreenGran78 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:55:40

What a modest lot you are! Very few admissions of genuine talents, though, which is sad.
I wonder how many of us have undiscovered talents? Things that we would have excelled at, if only life had put the opportunities in our path. I remember reading an article about a famous skater who had gone for a day out at the seaside with his parents. The weather turned nasty, so they went into a skating rink to pass the time. The rest, as they say, is history. If the day had been sunny would he ever have tried skating and discover that he had a wonderful talent for it?
Food for thought!
I have tried quite a few things over the years. I taught judo before retiring to start a family, and have sung in choirs for many years. Most of my ‘talents’, though, are only fair-to-middling.

Grandmabatty Thu 17-Jun-21 14:50:36

My special talent is prevarication. I can put things off indefinitely. I meant to post on here yesterday but ...

icanhandthemback Thu 17-Jun-21 14:25:11

I am the jack of all trades but my special talent is my clumsiness and lack of spacial awareness. Wherever I go in a shop or crowded space, my husband can always find me. He just follows the trail of destruction and the sound of crashing objects.

sharon103 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:24:40

I'm a Jack of all trades except when it comes to water or electricity.
I'm a good agony aunt and listener. I solve everyone's problems except my own.
When I was young and slim I used to be able to bite my toe nails.

Nanananana1 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:17:53

Kate1949 you are not alone! Especially about having a talent for self-pity....I could challenge you on that one

Usually I am thought of as fairly jolly and positive but when an illness came along, a big operation and years of treatment my self pity knew no bounds! I apologised to my doctors for not 'being grateful' just angry!

A friend recently said that self pity was a great release for all the anger, disappointment, misery and pain....so now I see it as part of the healing process!

Go on, treat yourself and have a good moan, feel sorry for yourself and maybe you will feel better and discover some more talents maybe?

HillyN Thu 17-Jun-21 14:03:42

I can speak aygy paygy (spelling?). It baffles the grandchildren. My friends at school and I used to chat in it but no-one I know now can understand it, so it's a wasted skill!

Purplepoppies Thu 17-Jun-21 13:45:31

Forgot to mention my Yorkshire puddings... humongous they are ?

Purplepoppies Thu 17-Jun-21 13:44:18

I bake, quite well I'm told ?
For a while my youngest dgd always said 'cake' as soon as she walked through the door (only 2 so she was forgiven) !
I can turn my hand to most dishes in the kitchen too.
But my party piece is wiggling my ears ?
I recently discovered an aunt can do it too!