Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a special 'talent'?

(117 Posts)
ixion Wed 16-Jun-21 15:27:16

Reading through so many threads, I see fine knitters, seamstresses, artists, potters, crafters, cake decorators...
Then I thought- 'how would I answer this?'. Sadly decided I was a Jack Of All Trades bur passable in only a few.

Do you have a special talent?
Forget the modesty and share!

Cagsy Thu 17-Jun-21 11:52:47

I'm a reasonable cook and enjoy feeding people, not a baker though. I enjoy gardening and have got some compliments at developing ours over the last year or so, but no expert.
I am excellent at sleeping though and loathe getting up before around 10am

RubyGran Thu 17-Jun-21 11:59:05

Nannarose

I have 2 talents common to many middle-aged women:
in public places I am invisible
within the family I can solve any problem, any time, or at least make it feel a bit better

Mine too, Nannarose! I think our second is an extremely valuable one to have.

Kestrel Thu 17-Jun-21 12:06:39

I can wiggle my ears - separately or both together!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 17-Jun-21 12:09:59

I am a lacemaker and also do lots of other crafts, but my unsung talent is dealing with leftover wine... even if I have to open a fresh bottle to do so.....

BlueSky Thu 17-Jun-21 12:13:32

Learn languages quickly and enjoy cracking the codes of the various grammar rules!

Yorki Thu 17-Jun-21 12:28:04

I can stamp my feet really quickly, I'd make a good flamenco dancer, people would watch in amazement, but it was a totally useless thing to do, and didn't serve any purpose whatsoever. ?

Ilovedragonflies Thu 17-Jun-21 12:31:48

Mine is a work in progress - I'm learning how to bite my tongue when my daughter's home from uni as she is now the font of all knowledge and I, apparently, know nothing (and what I do know is wrong. Plus the things I find funny just aren't, okay...) Obviously, it's pure bliss here at present. wink

knspol Thu 17-Jun-21 12:36:03

Still trying to think of one!

Ilovedragonflies Thu 17-Jun-21 12:47:16

I just realised! My actual talent lies in peeing off my daughter by breathing or looking in her direction!! Yay me!

Mollygo Thu 17-Jun-21 13:03:42

Inishowen I still treasure the American style fridge, won from a slogan.
My favourite talent- Using Photoshop. I’m good at improving photos or documents.
Most useful? Knowing when offering my opinion would be a waste of time.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:11:08

I don’t know whether it can be classed as a talent! But when I was looking after my grandson one day when he was very small he was talking about mirror writing, the teacher was showing them words written backwards in mirror. So I said I’m going to have a go! And I wrote silly letter to him and found I could write as quick backwards and as neat as I could forwards which even surprised me! I since have asked few of the family and they can’t do it ??

Hopikins Thu 17-Jun-21 13:11:42

I just asked my husband if he thinks I have a special talent. After a moments thought" mmm, nagging me", he replied.
I call it "guiding him".

annifrance Thu 17-Jun-21 13:14:07

Arty crafty stuff and couture creations. Talking and listening to people with problems. I hope I help.

Wibblywobbly Thu 17-Jun-21 13:15:21

I am a good judge of character and an excellent mimic. I can get anyone’s accent, voice and mannerisms off to a tee.

Theoddbird Thu 17-Jun-21 13:20:29

I was told many years ago, by my evening class tutor, that I was a talented sculptor smile

soldiersailor Thu 17-Jun-21 13:20:39

Well, I'm not a bad painter - pastels and oils mostly, and I've sold quite a few.
Then I think I should add that many years ago I learned how to do water diving both with a Y shaped twig and a curly spring-like one such as from a weeping willow. All learned from a book.

Purplepoppies Thu 17-Jun-21 13:44:18

I bake, quite well I'm told ?
For a while my youngest dgd always said 'cake' as soon as she walked through the door (only 2 so she was forgiven) !
I can turn my hand to most dishes in the kitchen too.
But my party piece is wiggling my ears ?
I recently discovered an aunt can do it too!

Purplepoppies Thu 17-Jun-21 13:45:31

Forgot to mention my Yorkshire puddings... humongous they are ?

HillyN Thu 17-Jun-21 14:03:42

I can speak aygy paygy (spelling?). It baffles the grandchildren. My friends at school and I used to chat in it but no-one I know now can understand it, so it's a wasted skill!

Nanananana1 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:17:53

Kate1949 you are not alone! Especially about having a talent for self-pity....I could challenge you on that one

Usually I am thought of as fairly jolly and positive but when an illness came along, a big operation and years of treatment my self pity knew no bounds! I apologised to my doctors for not 'being grateful' just angry!

A friend recently said that self pity was a great release for all the anger, disappointment, misery and pain....so now I see it as part of the healing process!

Go on, treat yourself and have a good moan, feel sorry for yourself and maybe you will feel better and discover some more talents maybe?

sharon103 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:24:40

I'm a Jack of all trades except when it comes to water or electricity.
I'm a good agony aunt and listener. I solve everyone's problems except my own.
When I was young and slim I used to be able to bite my toe nails.

icanhandthemback Thu 17-Jun-21 14:25:11

I am the jack of all trades but my special talent is my clumsiness and lack of spacial awareness. Wherever I go in a shop or crowded space, my husband can always find me. He just follows the trail of destruction and the sound of crashing objects.

Grandmabatty Thu 17-Jun-21 14:50:36

My special talent is prevarication. I can put things off indefinitely. I meant to post on here yesterday but ...

GreenGran78 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:55:40

What a modest lot you are! Very few admissions of genuine talents, though, which is sad.
I wonder how many of us have undiscovered talents? Things that we would have excelled at, if only life had put the opportunities in our path. I remember reading an article about a famous skater who had gone for a day out at the seaside with his parents. The weather turned nasty, so they went into a skating rink to pass the time. The rest, as they say, is history. If the day had been sunny would he ever have tried skating and discover that he had a wonderful talent for it?
Food for thought!
I have tried quite a few things over the years. I taught judo before retiring to start a family, and have sung in choirs for many years. Most of my ‘talents’, though, are only fair-to-middling.

Cabbie21 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:57:11

Another procrastinator here. I ought to be catching up with various bits of filing of bank statements etc.

No practical skills apart from singing.
I am good at filling in forms.