Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a special 'talent'?

(117 Posts)
ixion Wed 16-Jun-21 15:27:16

Reading through so many threads, I see fine knitters, seamstresses, artists, potters, crafters, cake decorators...
Then I thought- 'how would I answer this?'. Sadly decided I was a Jack Of All Trades bur passable in only a few.

Do you have a special talent?
Forget the modesty and share!

Rufus2 Thu 17-Jun-21 15:33:09

My special talent is prevarication
Grandmabatty and procrastination by the look of it, or are you actually avoiding telling the truth! grin
OoRoo

leeds22 Thu 17-Jun-21 15:39:32

Another jack/Jill of all trades here. Can’t dance, write poetry, sing or knit. Used to be able to make own clothes and curtains but not any more. Passable cook; I like baking but it tends to ‘taste better than it looks’. Can change a plug, check the oil and water in the car.

Grandmabatty Thu 17-Jun-21 15:41:52

Rufus I should proof read more carefully! I did mean procrastinate.

tictacnana Thu 17-Jun-21 16:12:02

Drawing and painting and pastry that doesn’t cause indigestion. My GC think that I can do ANYTHING which is a lovely thought but not true .

Lilyflower Thu 17-Jun-21 16:55:44

I can write a sentence and make the reader laugh. Not this one or the one before, obviously.

Elvis58 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:23:48

Cooking l enjoy it, and if l do say so myself am extremely good at it.

Party4 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:52:10

My younger sister has all the talent in our family my efforts were never good or neat enough,each to their own.We work well together though, I come up with the ideas, project costingsand resourcing and she makes it work.Unfortunatley my contribution goes unrecognised as she presents the finished goods.I tell my DGCs everyone is good at something but some take longer than others to find it.I can whistle loudly through my fingers not very ladylike but the kids are impressed does that count.

Coconut Thu 17-Jun-21 17:56:24

After 69 years and 2 Prosecco ‘s I can still stand on my head ? much to my grandchildren’s amusement ?

grannyrebel7 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:00:52

Sunday lunch and I'm good with dogs. Have written lots of funny poems for my colleagues and one for my son's wedding. That's about it.

TwiceAsNice Thu 17-Jun-21 18:04:48

I can knit
Write poetry
And I make brilliant sausage rolls, cheese straws, and Victoria sandwiches ( the cookery verified by my children)

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:10:14

coconut after 6 years and 2 prosecco’s I can still stand on my own 2 feet, sadly no one is amused……..

Musicgirl Thu 17-Jun-21 18:20:33

As might be imagined by my username, I am a musician. I play and teach piano, violin and viola. I can also play the church organ well enough for services and can sing to the standard where I am useful in choirs as l sing the harmony rather than the tune. I have a truly blessed as l have been able to have a lifelong career in my talent and passion. Reading this back, it looks rather boastful but believe me, there are many things l am not talented at - anything sports related is the first to spring to mind!

JulieNoted Thu 17-Jun-21 18:34:19

Well I'm pretty damned good at sewing, and make probably 80% of my granddaughter's wardrobe. My daughter absolutely loves that her little girl's clothes are unique and she will never find herself at a party wearing the same dress as someone else wink. I make the odd thing for my daughter as well, but never seem to make anything for myself.

I also make bags, soft toys, pencil cases, make up bags, things like that, but I absolutely hate making curtains, and avoid them like the plague grin

LizM567 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:37:53

I can sing Moscow Nights in Russian. No-one ever believes me until I rev up!

dorabelle100 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:47:55

my daughter used to say that my talent was i made other people realise what talents they had.........

Aveline Thu 17-Jun-21 18:49:25

I'm really good at watching TV

Dianehillbilly1957 Thu 17-Jun-21 19:08:22

Yet to find mine!!!

emmasnan Thu 17-Jun-21 20:00:22

I'm told I appear calm and in control, even when things are going wrong. If only those people could see inside my head at the time, they might think differently!

Savvy Thu 17-Jun-21 20:00:55

I can glass engrave. I found out by accident at an exhibition when a glass engraver asked me if I'd like to try it. I did a few small shapes and squiggles on the glass and he said that he was surprised I hasn't engraved before as the cycle I'd perfectly engraved was the hardest shape to get right.

grannybuy Thu 17-Jun-21 20:15:16

I’m a fairly good photographer. I wish I’d tried it when I was younger, but, like lots of people, I didn’t have a camera.

Granartisan Thu 17-Jun-21 20:23:52

Like many others on here I have dabbled in most crafts, but my main hobby is writing. Most of the results remain in my computer. I have had numerous short stories published but claiming a talent is overstating it!

ChrisK Thu 17-Jun-21 20:27:20

My almost unique talents include, delighting my grandchildren with my cheesy pasta bake, watching tv, procrastination, crossword puzzles and other things which do not include memory retention!

nexus63 Thu 17-Jun-21 21:35:46

i am good at organising, my family always had get togethers with buffets, i could get everything sorted in a couple of hours, another weird one is i am not keen on children, i had one son who i love to bits, i was the one who was handed the crying baby and told to change them, they always fell silent.....maybe they could sense my bossy no nonsense nature...lol

LadyGracie Thu 17-Jun-21 22:38:08

Knitting and stopping a gransnet thread dead!

Milliedog Thu 17-Jun-21 23:02:00

I can tell Bible stories to 100 children in a school assembly or 30 children in a toddler group and they all sit and listen without wriggling. And I absolutely love it!