Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever looked in the mirror and seen .................... your grandmother?

(91 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 16-Jun-21 16:53:17

Got a shock the other day. As I was coming in the back door I caught my reflection in the glass and thought that’s my grandmother! My grandmother died when I was 15 so a real flashback out of the blue. I have grown my hair long during lockdown and no longer have a fringe. With a head band on, exposing my forehead and wearing glasses I recognised her immediately. It was uncanny as I never thought I looked like her. Weird.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:34:34

I just see an old lady (no idea who she is) looking back at me!!

effalump Mon 21-Jun-21 12:30:43

Not so much the mirror, but shop windows. I realise how much like my dad I look.

tavimama Sun 20-Jun-21 11:17:34

I see my Mum in my face - my hair has gone very white and frames my face like hers. My sister comments on the resemblance every time I see her.

My brother sounds exactly like my Dad on the phone - quite upsetting for a long time after he passed.

My youngest twin has my sisters' profile - both my Mum and Husband have commented on it.

eazybee Sun 20-Jun-21 10:40:30

I walked quickly towards a shop which had reflective panels at ground level, and realized I walked exactly like my father. My son does too.

LadyJus Sun 20-Jun-21 09:48:02

Since I've started pinning my hair up and wearing glasses permanently I seem to have morphed into my mother.

jocork Sat 19-Jun-21 18:33:39

Not in the mirror but I have a photo of me taken in hospital after having my son, and in that I look very like my mum although never seen the likeness any other time.
I never knew my maternal grandmother as she died when my mum was a teenager. Looking through old photos after my mum died I found one of her and her mum and realised my grandmother looked just like my best friend from university days. Made me really wish I'd known her!
These days I don't feel old but when I look in the mirror I think "Who's that old hag?"

Pammie1 Sat 19-Jun-21 16:42:04

My dad and my grandmother - dad’s mum. They were the spitting image of each other and as I get older, they are both who I see looking back at me. It’s slightly unnerving I have to say.

Joesoap Sat 19-Jun-21 15:05:40

Its strange when I was younger we would meet somebody while out shopping and they would remark how like my Mother I was then another person would come up and say how like my Father I was, I dont look like either of them, but have my Mums personality now I am older,dont tolerate fools easily and dont tolerate rudeness or bad manners.
I loved both my parents and would like to be like them both in some way.

magshard20 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:18:54

My mum died when I was a teenager, and her younger sister took over the role of mum, she only lived two doors away so it seemed natural to turn to her if I needed female guidance. I look in the mirror now and I can see her in her older years (I'm now 70, and she died a few years ago aged 91) It does startle me a bit but she was a lovely lady and I hope I have inherited her lovely down to earth ways with both family and friends.

hereshoping Sat 19-Jun-21 08:28:06

I see my Dad every time that I look in the mirror. However I have my grandmothers substantial bosom.

NfkDumpling Fri 18-Jun-21 21:43:23

I look like my mum and she looked like my nan. My girls are doomed.

ChrisK Fri 18-Jun-21 19:24:37

Occasionally I have looked in the mirror, especially lately and seen my mums eyes staring back at me, a bit spooky really, my dear mum departed this life at the age of only 65, she didn't really live to her full potential, when I was a child I was more like dad, but have changed with age, he lived to 101, died in 2019 sadly

Felix4806 Fri 18-Jun-21 18:00:12

That gave me a good laugh, I love the way children just have no filter ?

Grandma2002 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:04:42

When I look in the mirror I see my Father's features but my Mother's face looks back at me - spooky what?

Musicgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 16:01:12

I often see my mother looking back at me. In photos of each other from young childhood onwards, the resemblance is very strong. Sometimes I see her in a photo with my children when they were small, around twenty years ago, and do a double take because it is like looking at me as l am now.

phantom12 Fri 18-Jun-21 15:19:11

I usually have my hair cut at home so don't look in a mirror while it is being done. When my hairdresser was ill I went to one in my high street. Sat in front of the mirror with my hair pulled back I could see my dad!

Harmonypuss Fri 18-Jun-21 15:16:33

No, never. My father was adopted so I wouldn't look anything like the gran i knew growing up and I never met his birth mother.

Fortunately, the only time I saw my mother out her mother in a mirror was if they were standing behind me.

I'm thankful every day that I'm not like my vile mother's side of the family.

nipsmum Fri 18-Jun-21 15:04:46

I have my Mothers hands. As i get older I hear myself sounding more like her. She lived to be 100 and was a very good Mum. She died in 2008 and I still miss her

bobbydog24 Fri 18-Jun-21 14:39:03

I look like my dad but after recently hearing myself on a video I sounded just like my aunt, my Mums sister. It was her voice exactly.

NotTooOld Fri 18-Jun-21 14:30:25

It's the lockdown wot dunnit. My hair grew very long and I kept it pinned up on top of my head - hello, Grandma!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 18-Jun-21 14:27:20

I look like my mum, sister looks like dad.

Lettice Fri 18-Jun-21 13:50:03

I am the only dark haired one in a family of 5 siblings and look nothing like the others who look like mum. However, we have a photo of a great-great paternal aunt where you'd swear it was me in Victorian clothes. Paternal grandmother died before my parents met so no idea what she looked like. Maternal grandmother was auburn and fair skinned, which would have been very nice to inherit.

JaneJudge Fri 18-Jun-21 13:31:24

I look very much like my Grandma, my Father's Mum

gillyknits Fri 18-Jun-21 13:18:32

When I look in the mirror I see my Aunt (my Dad’s sister.) Actually she looked like a female version of my dad!

Mishy Fri 18-Jun-21 12:56:04

I looked in the mirror about 15 years ago and saw my mothers body shape, nose, eyes and hair, but my dads lips and legs. My mum was a ginger and I'm a gingery blonde so yep, we are very similar but I am about a foot taller then her, bless her.