Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever looked in the mirror and seen .................... your grandmother?

(90 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 16-Jun-21 16:53:17

Got a shock the other day. As I was coming in the back door I caught my reflection in the glass and thought that’s my grandmother! My grandmother died when I was 15 so a real flashback out of the blue. I have grown my hair long during lockdown and no longer have a fringe. With a head band on, exposing my forehead and wearing glasses I recognised her immediately. It was uncanny as I never thought I looked like her. Weird.

Blossoming Wed 16-Jun-21 16:56:31

I see my mother looking back at me every time I look on the mirror. It still takes me by surprise at times.

Nannagarra Wed 16-Jun-21 17:02:22

Not my grandmother...but I have my mother’s hands - they are identical. When she died my dad found my voice unnerving as, in his opinion, I sounded exactly like her.
My DGD is a mini version of her other grandmother; it’s like looking at Russian dolls.

Sara1954 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:06:47

Yes, I sometimes think I see my grandmother, just a fleeting glimpse sometimes.

merlotgran Wed 16-Jun-21 17:09:05

Yes! I have her eyes and nose and when I started having to tie my lockdown hair back…….Oooooer.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 17:09:08

I wish.
My grandmother was lovely, a very good-looking woman.

Kate1949 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:09:23

I never saw either of my grandmothers. I have no idea what they looked like.

Redhead56 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:12:20

Yes after I reached mid fifties I look at at photo of my parents wedding. My battle axe paternal gran is in the back ground it’s like looking at myself I am not happy?

MiniMoon Wed 16-Jun-21 17:19:39

Every time I look in a mirror. I am like my Granny, even down to my shape and the way I walk, or so I've been told.
I don't mind, I couldn't resemble a nicer woman .

Judy54 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:37:14

The person I see in the mirror is my Dad I am the spitting image of him.

Kali2 Wed 16-Jun-21 17:39:31

Both my mum and my grandmother were really slim, elegant, and always well dressed. My grand-mother very classical, my mother was the first generation of 'smart casuals' in the 50s, but wore beautiful dresses too.

I wish!

Chewbacca Wed 16-Jun-21 17:46:47

I wouldn't mind looking like my grandmother. It's preferable to looking like Ronald McDonald which, according to GS aged 4, I do.

M0nica Wed 16-Jun-21 17:48:56

I look a bit like one of my aunts.

Calendargirl Wed 16-Jun-21 17:53:24

I don’t think I resemble either of my grans, didn’t know either of them.

My maternal grandma had a sharp tongue, didn’t suffer fools gladly. I think I take after her in that respect.

Chardy Wed 16-Jun-21 18:39:57

My sister and I had a phone conversation yesterday about how each of us catch mirror glimpses of deceased elderly relatives!

annodomini Wed 16-Jun-21 18:41:09

My maternal grandmother had soft curly white hair. I have grown mine in the past year and found that it too is curly. Yes, I do see Granny in the mirror. She suffered from lumbago to which I can also relate. But she was very artistic and did lovely embroidery and I have not inherited those skills.

SueDonim Wed 16-Jun-21 22:09:14

Not me. There are only a few photos of one GM, who died when I was four, and my other GM died 36 years before I was born and there is only one photo, which we don’t actually know is her.

I see my dad and/or my late sister reflected back at me nowadays, although curiously, it’s only ever in one particular mirror we have. ?

Auntieflo Wed 16-Jun-21 22:15:16

I have never seen a photo of my maternal grandmother, she died when my mum was about 8. But, I do look like my mum.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 22:23:12

I see me in the mirror but photos - I see my late mother. It is quite a shock at times, particularly when I accidentally take a photo with my phone and suddenly see my mother unexpectly.

Newatthis Thu 17-Jun-21 07:52:08

I see my aunt looking back which is scary.

Humbertbear Thu 17-Jun-21 07:58:34

I am having dinner with my ‘grandmother’ this evening. In the form of my younger sister. I look like my father. My daughter even complains if I don’t wear nail varnish as she says without colour my hands are identical to his.

Blinko Thu 17-Jun-21 08:06:03

One evening whilst on holiday abroad (those were the days, eh!) DH took my photo, all glammed up, I thought. Well I looked like a strange combination of both my grandmothers. My sister tells me I remind her of our dear Mum. Can't be bad, can it?

Billybob4491 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:24:54

In answer to your question Avalon - the answer is thankfully no,

Mattsmum2 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:32:15

I don’t see my mum in the mirror but feel that I display some of the traits I remember as a child, now that I have children if my own ?

LadyGracie Thu 17-Jun-21 08:59:04

When I look at my sister I see my mother. When I look in the mirror I see my father.