Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(61 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 19-Jun-21 06:04:52

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Plans for the day bus to Buckingham ,and then Bicester , but returning direct back home .
light lunch , with cycling on TV , and maybe a Chinese Take Away later.
Take Care,
Mick

muse Sat 19-Jun-21 18:20:38

My final thoughts of the day for me. A very early night calls.

Never mind me apologising for any typos in my second post - I've just read my very first post - wow - what a lot of whoopsies.
Must try harder, I tell myself.

Grandmafrench. Comforting news about your friend.

Spotted Blossoming in the kitchen before coming here ? ?

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 16:00:45

glammagran
I sent you a pm

That photo is wonderful, Alizarin! Did you take it?

Marydoll Sat 19-Jun-21 15:39:18

Blossoming, great news! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were getting on. What a relief!

Grandmafrench Sat 19-Jun-21 15:38:54

??

Blossoming Sat 19-Jun-21 15:35:17

I’m home! All is well, worn out so will drop in to Soop’s kitchen later.

muse Sat 19-Jun-21 12:49:20

Good afternoon now. Delay due to long call from lovely son. Red letter day. I didn't want him to stop talking. Love the sound of his voice.
Quick recap. Pressure from company he work for led to ill health and stress. Left. No work/income for 2 months. Offered two jobs. Took one (it had the highest salary) but he did like the sound of the other job too.
Now - he has been offered the other job again. Want his skill set and upped the salary. He has till Monday morning to decide.
Also lots of positive about his daughter. More heart tests have confirmed she will not need an operation. They say her heart could grow to become it's normal shape. One side is much smaller than it should be and the heart is tilted.

So back to my catch up on GN.

Ashcombe - such a long wait for you. Hope that 2nd vaccination comes very soon.

grandMatti I love it when all my family are together (including my brother and his children). We're all around the 6' mark.

susan. Such an emotional time. Glad your DH has you by his side

Urm. Happy Birthday. Keep watching for your posts.

harri I love reading about the talents of our grandchild. Well done to yours

Glammagran I joined GN at the beginning of the year. I'd been reading GN on and off for over a year. There are some threads I wouldn't venture on.

Ali That's a WOW photo. Which town has the market? I have an escape day next week and planning to visit a couple of gardens. I have no market close to me so.

L&N. We were signing loudly for Jet in the Argy - hope she hears it.

?I'm being called by MrM. He's on the digger and needs help with posts and a bucket. Grey clouds are quickly forming.

Only got to Nannytopsy ' s post so will be back again! to finish my post.

Take care everyone. This erratic weather is not helping.

Apologies for any big whoopsies - no time to read through. x

Marydoll Sat 19-Jun-21 12:32:58

I was interested to read the comments about going to or not going to France.

One of my friends is off to her second home near Carcasson for the summer this week. How did she manage to arrange it, if it's not allowed?

amselerin, I do hope you get good news soon!

amselerin Sat 19-Jun-21 12:07:30

Good morning Michael and all from hot and humid (29° in the shade and climbing Lueneburg. I am having visitors this afternoon. The cake came courtesy of Lidl. We shall have it with ice cream and cream . We shall just sit in the shade and don`t move. I have finished cleaning and shall now have to shower. I was interested in what Ashcombe wrote about going to France. I am waiting to go to Britain. I haven`t seen my children for well over 1 1/2 year. Also I have not seen the house I bought. My 2nd Astra vac. is this Wednesday. Perhaps I can arrange something after that. Alizarin you are doing well. I stayed in hospital for over one week and then 3 weeks in a convalescing home having physio therapy 3 times daily. A hip op is such a marvelous thing.

Keep well all. The wind is blowing up maybe we shall have some thunder storms. The rain shall be more than welcome .Take care all.

EkwaNimitee Sat 19-Jun-21 11:54:44

Good morning, Mick and all from a sunny-ish Carlisle where showers threaten now and again.
It's been one visitor after another this morning. I've been successfully freegling stuff I've decided I don't need after all. I'm delighted when someone else does, I do absolutely hate taking useful items to the tip. It's not easy though especially as charity shops are getting a bit picky, bric a brac seems a no-no. I think it's an older generation thing, the younger folk don't seem to want ornaments so when granny dies the charity shops get overwhelmed.
Another visitor was, thankfully, a landscaper/fencer. I want a side gate installing on the flat side of my house, the current one involves steps which is not useful when you're hauling bins or lawnmowers. Now I await a quote, apparently the existing pavers, which need to be matched, are not the cheapest.
I'm still researching hairdressers. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and ring one. I'll wait till Monday.
This afternoon, maybe a stroll to the local park which I haven't investigated yet or a bit of garden work, assuming it doesn't rain.
I hope our missing posters are back soon and, if poorly, progressing well. Have a good day, everyone else.

Georgesgran Sat 19-Jun-21 11:39:52

Third time lucky
DGD!

Georgesgran Sat 19-Jun-21 11:39:29

DHD! Sorry harri.

Georgesgran Sat 19-Jun-21 11:38:49

A late good morning from a warm, cloudy Durham. Off to the zoo with DGS soon.
Wanted to add my congratulations to harri’s DGS - she sounds a little more upbeat than in recent posts? X

Mapleleaf Sat 19-Jun-21 10:47:55

Good morning everyone,

It's beginning to brighten up and warm up in South Yorkshire now, so fingers crossed for a nice Saturday. We had a lot of rain yesterday, which I'm sure the grass and plants have appreciated. The problem is that they've put on a growth spurt as a result, so are in need of some attention.

We've had a busy week this week which is why I haven't posted, decorating our bedroom, which was in desperate need of doing. We've vowed that it's the last time we do it ourselves! As you'll no doubt agree, it's not so much the actual painting that's tiring, it's the removal and putting back of all the furniture and "stuff" one accumulates?. We've had a bit of a cull (which I find hard, but needs must), but we've decided that fitted furniture is the way to go, so that's the next project we are saving up for, then when it needs decorating again, not so many things will need to come out of the room before the decorator moves in. Isn't it an upheaval though? Every other room upstairs was filled with something or other until we could put everything back. I now ache in places I'd forgotten I could ache ??. Still, it's worth it as everything looks clean once more.

Today will be a lazy day, just a small food shop later, but otherwise, feet up.

I do hope that today brings comfort to all of you with troubles, pain or difficulties. ?

Take care.

joyce6135 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:46:39

Morning all, I am always a late poster but love to read what you are all doing. Marydoll makes me smile every day, such an orator. Not much doing today, have a good one everyone.

muse Sat 19-Jun-21 10:45:26

?good morning Mick. ??? for everyone else.
I’m struggling, as usual, to type on my iPhone but I wanted to send everyone a ?. One day a?will appear on my MacBook. Hand injury two years ago left me with little use of right thumb. I used to use both on phone.

Late post today. After 5 days of rising at 7:30 MrM and I had a lie in. He didn’t get to bed till 3:00am. We except a little rain this the weekend and lots on Monday. Flood lighting was erected by the abyss and he’s started to erect a support frame to take a tarpaulin. Solid clay soil so rain takes forever and a day to drain away.

I’m off to get my laptop now as progress is too slow for me. Too many errors to correct.
????????????????????????

Grandmafrench Sat 19-Jun-21 10:44:28

Good Morning everyone from a coffee by the side of the pool, South of France! Nope. Only just getting up. Oh the shame!
Yesterday I seemed to have been trapped in the garden. Bit silly because it was so hot, but once I started doing things which were demanding attention, it all went on and on. You know how it goes!

DH lured me to a seat with coffee, tea, lunch, a random Magnum! But each time those pots and plants, soil and pebbles, feed and blower dragged me back as if I was on a long piece of string - and no scissors. And the Jasmine…..it’s been ‘snowing’ falling blossom for days and quickly browning and being trampled. All that on stone does make the place look neglected.

Anyway garden looks good. I do not. So a shower to properly wake up my aching joints, followed by a cooling swim. Man on a scooter went out for aubergines and ricotta and, hopefully, a couple of sneaky Saturday croissants!

A day of relaxing, reading, and catching up on emails, I think.
It’s amazing how much time we can spend, stretched out on cushions, watching buzzards and gulls wheeling very high on the thermals while we occasionally squabble over the binoculars if we’re really minded to. ? so, today we’ll have a rest.

Received such good news last night. We’d been told that our friend who died suddenly last week will have to wait in a mortuary in Ontario until at least October, before funeral arrangements can be considered. The situation with Covid having taken away the ability to organise or deal with most things in a timely or respectful way, his Wife reported that one of their Sons, who lives in Canada has actually been able to organise the cremation and he has secured permission to bring the ashes to France and to here (his Dad’s favourite place), where a proper service can be organised before too long. We’re so happy for her and for him because, however premature and sad, he gets his wish and we can all say goodbye properly.

Loved that glorious photo, Alzarin. That’s one for a frame on the wall, surely? Count the hours ‘til you’re back home, Blossoming - with results to have made it all worthwhile.
Hopefully better day, Auntieflo. Cherry, Harri, GrannyS, Susan, Kitty, some respite from worries.
Are you doing ok., grandmajet? Stop worrying, Maw and get some rest - take a tip from your greyhounds and their ability to rest their eyes, anywhere! He’ll be fine - he’ll superbike it all the way to Somerset and you’ll be proud!
If you’re enjoying a birthday today, Urms, make sure it’s a wonderful one?, with a glass or 3 with your relatives.
Where are you Ellan - you better not have been banned - we’re worried.
Enjoy being back on your bike Nannagarra but be careful. We know you love us, grandmajean - your lovely warmth shines through in your posts? - have a good weekend.

Stay safe, dear GoodMorningers. Hold on tightly to those Flamingoes (oh! maybe not that tightly, please!) and find the fun. That’s your mission for today!

Hugs as always ????‍♀️???

dragonfly46 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:13:45

Yes I frequently don't post as I cannot remember every one who has gone before especially if they are on another page and I am frightened of missing someone out.

Needless to say I do read all posts and comment when I remember!!

aggie Sat 19-Jun-21 10:05:12

Morning All , it’s really dull and overcast here, but dry when we could do with a bit of rain !
My middle Daughter FaceTimed me from their caravan in north west Scotland, it looked wet but they are very upbeat
I haven’t posted as I seem to forget who I should/ want to , congratulate /commiserate with or just greet ! So love to all ???

GrannySomerset Sat 19-Jun-21 10:04:22

Grey and still this morning but it looks like a laundry free day so it doesn’t matter. DD and lovely SiL arriving this evening so that DD can join in the conversation with two care providers on Monday. She likes to keep an eye on me and I appreciate the support, and am hoping for a positive outcome.

My sympathy to all those worried about friends and relations, and special thoughts to Auntieflo and Grandmajet. Too much to hope that Marydoll has a day doing nothing, but a family visit will help keep her in one place.

Stilllearning Sat 19-Jun-21 09:58:34

Hello again, I forgot to congratulate harrigran on her granddaughter’s lovely success and that is a gtreat picture of your grandson Alizarin, happy days.

Grandmajean Sat 19-Jun-21 09:57:14

Agree with Marydoll . I feel bad about missing out greetings to posters who have taken the trouble to tell us interesting stories. It is just impossible to acknowledge all posters ( I had trouble with the word "acknowledge" and used to be really proud of my brilliant spelling and ability to spot a mistake a mile off ! ) . I do read and enjoy them all and am always appreciative of comments made to me. I do feel that this thread is one where you need not fear an offensive remark. I only post on threads which are "unthreatening" as there is enough conflict in daily life already.
Best wishes for as good a day as possible to all. The sun is now shining brightly here ! Hope it is where you are too !

Gingster Sat 19-Jun-21 09:31:16

Good morning all from a dull Suffolk coast. The rain hammered down all day yesterday. The flowers have been battered and the garden is a mess. ?

We awe awaiting DS1, wife and two Gd’s along with Willow , a rather large French Briard. They will stay for the weekend but not sure what we’ll do as the weather isn’t good. Never mind, we’ll enjoy each other’s company. ?

Happy holidays to all who are off somewhere.

Greyduster Sat 19-Jun-21 09:25:16

Good morning, Michael and all GNs . It’s overcast but dry in South Yorkshire and a mite chilly! A late start from me. We did just an hour’s swimming yesterday afternoon and by early evening I was totally knocked out and aching all over. That’s what a two year break from a swimming pool does to you. The way I feel at the moment it might be two years before we go again! We are feeding DD and her menfolk tomorrow so I will have to do some shopping this morning. Have a good day folks.

Nannagarra Sat 19-Jun-21 09:17:59

Good morning from overcast Sefton. This side of the border, as you might imagine Elizabeth1, the mood is quite different. Let’s just say the flag was removed swiftly!
Fingers crossed you soon manage to meet up with olddudders, Ashcombe. You have waited so, so long. What a proud grandmother you must be, harrigran.
???
Superb photograph Alizarin. How thoughtful of your sons to ensure you had a lovely time at the beach. Your comment about them placing you on then carefully lifting you from the sand is lovely.
A quick shower then I’ll be out on my bike for some much-needed exercise. The lack of sun here might deter the visiting hordes.
???
Thinking of those with birthdays, days out on holiday, meet ups with friends and family. Sending hugs to those with problems and to those with procedures - a special mench for Blossoming today. News of grandmajet would be welcome.

Grammaretto Sat 19-Jun-21 09:12:42

Good morning from the Scottish Borders. The rooks are back.
For years we had a rookery in our garden and neighbouring woodland. Then some of the biggest trees died, a housing estate was built and the rooks left.
This year for the first time in at least 20 years they are nesting again. They are very noisy. Maybe they are celebrating the football result?

I am with your DH Marydoll I am frequently shocked by prices. I have to pay my NHS dentist in installments of £100.

I am glad you have your conservatory back to enjoy.
I am hoping for a quiet day gardening and resting my poor sore mouth. grin