Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is drinking alcohol so popular?

(247 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Sat 19-Jun-21 16:08:34

I am male. When I was younger, in my 20s, there was often social pressure to drink alcohol.

I have never smoked, always avoided it, but I have tried beer, uh, I thought it tasted horrible, so no. I have tried sherry, why the fuss about it? I had some wine once, well, didn't seem anything worth drinking to me. I know, out of step with most people, I am wondering what they all see in it. I get offers from a well-known supermarket for bottles of wine for ONLY £4.99, which seems a lot of money to me. I think that it is a good job that I don't drink alcohol, I don't think I could afford to!

I think that the most recent time I drank alcohol was over forty years ago at a cousin's wedding, and then only a sip from a glass of champagne so as not to appear rude.

I always had a soft drink at events in a pub or staff parties and the like. Certainly I would not drink and drive anyway, but saying 'no thank you, I'm driving' when offered alcohol was a convenient get out.

Yet drinking alcohol seems very popular. I think I saw somewhere that a lot of young adults these days do not drink alcohol and that is now mainstream culturally widely accepted, whereas years ago, the bemused attitude to someone male who did not have a 'proper' drink was widespread.

I think that some people reading this who like an alcoholic drink may wonder in amazement at why I just don't understand why, but I am really don't understand why drinking alcohol is so popular and supplying it is such a major industry, though recognising from my limited experience of going in pubs that they always seemed to have a small selection of soft drinks available, though some seemed to be dual purpose, such as either a soft drink or as a mixer to make some sort of cocktail.

greenlady102 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:16:50

Rufus2

Elderlyperson You appear to be a religious person; I'm not! hmm, so apologies for the following.

Jesus and his entourage were at a wedding where they ran out of wine!
So his mother said "Fix it!" and he turned 6 large vases of water, to be used for hand washing into WINE! shock
You can't get a more ringing endorsement than that!
It all depends on whether you believe in miracles or not! grin
OooRoo

It was the first recorded miracle Jesus did and he did it because his Mother asked him to.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 11:19:38

MawBe

You are seriously overthinking this!
Why do we (some of us) enjoy alcohol? Why chocolate? Why the company of friends? Why listening to music? Why dancing? Why a beautiful view? Why our favourite food? Why stroking the cat/dog?
Because it brings pleasure, releases endorphins, makes us feel warm and relaxed, more cheerful (usually) is associated with company and conviviality - because we like it.
I am not talking about alcohol abuse or heavy drinking or needing that glass at “wine o clock” - but if you don’t enjoy any of the above, don’t do them! A cup of coffee with a friend can bring as much pleasure, a cup of NHS tea is often essential
(childbirth or bad news bring two examples)
But don’t knock i because it’s not for you.
If you as elderly as your name implies, perhaps it is too late to start, but a good single malt, a soft red wine or a glass of champagne might yet convince you otherwise.

I was not knocking it. Freedom of choice for all. It is just that it seems so mainstream that I wondered why.

The answers thus far seem to add up to that it is to reduce stress in public and private and reduces self-consciousness and feeling awkward in company.

I am wondering if a need to "fit in" and "be accepted as one of the in-crowd" is part of it.

I am in my 70s. Is that elderly? for me personally, for some things it is, for some things it isn't, some days it is, some days it isn't.

Not so much too late to start, I could add some to my next grocery delivery if I wanted to, I just do not want to get alcohol into my body.

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Jun-21 11:33:44

ElderlyPerson, I think most things have been said here but like other things our tastes do change over time and with exposure. We wouldn't know this if we didn't keep tasting things.

If you tried something once in your teens/twenties and then never again, how would you really know?
They say babies have to try something 10 or more times before they accept it.
We are naturally cautious about new tastes - for good reason, but trying types of alcohol just once is perhaps why you don't like it.

I am not saying that you should keep trying it though! Unless of course it bothers you grin

M0nica Sun 20-Jun-21 11:38:53

Elderlyperson
Perhaps you could explain why you think it is puzzling that drinking alcohol is popular, and I am looking for reasons, other than the fact that you do not like the taste, because everyone has foods and beverage they like and hate.

greenlady102 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:45:49

ElderlyPerson

MawBe

You are seriously overthinking this!
Why do we (some of us) enjoy alcohol? Why chocolate? Why the company of friends? Why listening to music? Why dancing? Why a beautiful view? Why our favourite food? Why stroking the cat/dog?
Because it brings pleasure, releases endorphins, makes us feel warm and relaxed, more cheerful (usually) is associated with company and conviviality - because we like it.
I am not talking about alcohol abuse or heavy drinking or needing that glass at “wine o clock” - but if you don’t enjoy any of the above, don’t do them! A cup of coffee with a friend can bring as much pleasure, a cup of NHS tea is often essential
(childbirth or bad news bring two examples)
But don’t knock i because it’s not for you.
If you as elderly as your name implies, perhaps it is too late to start, but a good single malt, a soft red wine or a glass of champagne might yet convince you otherwise.

I was not knocking it. Freedom of choice for all. It is just that it seems so mainstream that I wondered why.

The answers thus far seem to add up to that it is to reduce stress in public and private and reduces self-consciousness and feeling awkward in company.

I am wondering if a need to "fit in" and "be accepted as one of the in-crowd" is part of it.

I am in my 70s. Is that elderly? for me personally, for some things it is, for some things it isn't, some days it is, some days it isn't.

Not so much too late to start, I could add some to my next grocery delivery if I wanted to, I just do not want to get alcohol into my body.

I am not sure where you got your summary of answers from?
Football seems so mainstream to me but I dislike it and always have....but it doesn't puzzle me why others like it or why its mainstream and I don't waste one second thinking about it

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Jun-21 13:19:52

I think this is key in your case ElderlyPerson:

^ I just do not want to get alcohol into my body.^

So presumably you won't.
I don't want meat products to get into my body - so I avoid them.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 13:23:54

M0nica

Elderlyperson
Perhaps you could explain why you think it is puzzling that drinking alcohol is popular, and I am looking for reasons, other than the fact that you do not like the taste, because everyone has foods and beverage they like and hate.

It is just something that has puzzled me at times over many years. At the theatre, a bar is provided. At trade exhibitions where people go there from work, a bar is provided. Go to an exhibition stand, be offered a drink - usually there is a large number of bottles of alcoholic drink and one bottle of orange squash. The stand representative who offers a drink and ALWAYS has one himself - so how many does he have in a day?

So when the other day there was another advert for wine at ONLY prices, I just thought I would ask here as people here seem happy to participate in conversations on whatever topics come up.

MawBe Sun 20-Jun-21 13:30:57

On the contrary Elderly Person you are knocking it by coming across as faux-naïve in your question
I was not knocking it. Freedom of choice for all. It is just that it seems so mainstream that I wondered why

I am wondering if a need to "fit in" and "be accepted as one of the in-crowd" is part of it
I just do not want to get alcohol into my body.

I disagree totally with your interpretation of why many people enjoy wine or spirits. Needing to be part of some “in-crowd” is pretty unlikely at our age.
You say you are in your 70’s - really,?
Well your attitude is much more elderly than that! I am 73 and hope that I am more flexible in my attitudes than you seem to be. Perhaps you have led a very sheltered life - to think £4.99 for a bottle of wine is expensive certainly suggests you are out of touch with prices (of anything) these days.
By your age you are old enough to buy, eat, drink, do what you like (within the bounds of common sense) and if you haven’t worked out why some people do what they do, try looking around you and opening your mind.

Corisanda Sun 20-Jun-21 13:32:57

I enjoy several alcoholic drinks because they taste so good. Cooking with wine can ipart a delicious flavour to a meal minus the alcohol.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 13:33:37

NotSpaghetti

I think this is key in your case ElderlyPerson:

^ I just do not want to get alcohol into my body.^

So presumably you won't.
I don't want meat products to get into my body - so I avoid them.

I am vegan. None of what you mention not eating, nor dairy, nor honey, no wearing of wool, no soap with animal products, etc.

Here is a link to the website of The Vegan Society.

www.vegansociety.com

MawBe Sun 20-Jun-21 13:34:55

Irrelevant

Chewbacca Sun 20-Jun-21 13:40:49

I am vegan. None of what you mention not eating, nor dairy, nor honey, no wearing of wool,
no soap with animal products, etc

And no alcohol? Jeez! What do you do for fun? confused

Parsley3 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:46:18

You are vegan Elderlyperson? Do you also wonder why people consume meat, dairy etc and wear woolly jumpers? My answer to your question is that I drink alcohol because it is legal and I like it.

greenlady102 Sun 20-Jun-21 13:52:15

MawBe

On the contrary Elderly Person you are knocking it by coming across as faux-naïve in your question
I was not knocking it. Freedom of choice for all. It is just that it seems so mainstream that I wondered why

I am wondering if a need to "fit in" and "be accepted as one of the in-crowd" is part of it
I just do not want to get alcohol into my body.

I disagree totally with your interpretation of why many people enjoy wine or spirits. Needing to be part of some “in-crowd” is pretty unlikely at our age.
You say you are in your 70’s - really,?
Well your attitude is much more elderly than that! I am 73 and hope that I am more flexible in my attitudes than you seem to be. Perhaps you have led a very sheltered life - to think £4.99 for a bottle of wine is expensive certainly suggests you are out of touch with prices (of anything) these days.
By your age you are old enough to buy, eat, drink, do what you like (within the bounds of common sense) and if you haven’t worked out why some people do what they do, try looking around you and opening your mind.

I don't find it elderly.....in fact most of the people I know who are my age have learned wisdom through their age and are not judgy......

Greeneyedgirl Sun 20-Jun-21 13:54:53

I think alcohol was probably more popular in historical times, such as the Middle Ages ElderlyPerson, when it was often safer to drink ale than water. Good job you weren’t alive then. I suppose we are lucky these days that we have the luxury to choose to be alcohol free, and a vegan for example.

MawBe Sun 20-Jun-21 13:58:07

Anybody referring to me as elderly might find themselves whacked around the head with my Zimmer frame gringrin

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Jun-21 14:09:38

Elderlyperson - I was giving examples of what I choose not to put into my body and simply equating it to YOU not wanting to put alcohol in yours!
I'm not sure why you have sent links to the vegan society?

I'm a little confused now to be honest. I thought we were just having a discussion.

You are right about a lot of works "dos" though - but the last two exhibition previews I went to were actually soft drinks only - out of consideration to people of certain faith groups.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 14:13:07

Parsley3

You are vegan Elderlyperson? Do you also wonder why people consume meat, dairy etc and wear woolly jumpers? My answer to your question is that I drink alcohol because it is legal and I like it.

Yes, I am vegan.

I learned about being vegan in the late 1990s and I thought it a wonderful peaceful spiritual thing to be a vegan.

I have never regretted becoming a vegan. Being a vegan is now an integral part of who I am.

greenlady102 Sun 20-Jun-21 14:15:35

MawBe

Anybody referring to me as elderly might find themselves whacked around the head with my Zimmer frame gringrin

grin

timetogo2016 Sun 20-Jun-21 14:21:03

I love a glass of red wine in the evening,i only started drinking 8 years ago i can`t remember what the occasion was.
I know lots of people who don`t drink only because they prefer soft drinks or it`s their religion and they are not allowed to.
Either way,each to their own.
Cheers.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 14:24:56

NotSpaghetti

Elderlyperson - I was giving examples of what I choose not to put into my body and simply equating it to YOU not wanting to put alcohol in yours!
I'm not sure why you have sent links to the vegan society?

I'm a little confused now to be honest. I thought we were just having a discussion.

You are right about a lot of works "dos" though - but the last two exhibition previews I went to were actually soft drinks only - out of consideration to people of certain faith groups.

As you had introduced not eating the item you mentioned into the conversation, I mentioned that I am vegan. Maybe you are vegan, or maybe you are only vegetarian.

I put in the link because as you mentioned not eating the item you mentioned, I thought that some readers might like the link.

As they used to say in the TV drama series LA Law "You opened the door".

MawBe Sun 20-Jun-21 14:26:40

Can we look forward to future threads
Why do some people eat meat/fish/dairy?
Why do some people wear leather shoes?

And is there honey still for tea?

greenlady102 Sun 20-Jun-21 14:30:17

MawBe

did you know that honey isn't vegan? Neither are some advocado pears or other fruits/veg's where bee hives are moved around to pollinate the crop....don't you just LOVE QI?

MawBe Sun 20-Jun-21 14:32:12

greenlady102

MawBe

did you know that honey isn't vegan? Neither are some advocado pears or other fruits/veg's where bee hives are moved around to pollinate the crop....don't you just LOVE QI?

Of course greenlady that was why I included it.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 14:34:28

MawBe

Not from me.

For me, being vegan is an inner spiritual thing,