Gransnet forums

Chat

Forced adoptions

(59 Posts)
Smurf52 Sat 19-Jun-21 22:00:59

It's been in the news recently about an investigation into unmarried women being forced to give up their babies in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I think forced abortions should be included to.

I was 3 months pregnant in 1970 at age 17 by my ex husband, then my boyfriend. I had pressure put on me to abort the baby. My GP was also his doctor. She told me he had his whole future ahead of him by going to university etc. Nobody seemed to be concerned about my feelings.

I wanted to keep my baby and had started knitting a little matinee jacket. Sadly in those days you didn't get council accommodation and benefits for being a single mum. My mum, a divorced single parent, made it clear there was no room in the house for a new baby as she had my three younger siblings to care for.

Having recently watched Long Lost Family where mums were reunited with their adopted babies many years later, I wish I too had pressed for adoption then at least I would have had the chance of possibly being reunited with my son or daughter, not the empty feeling of having lost my baby 50 years ago. sad

Alegrias1 Wed 23-Jun-21 20:58:06

nexus63 that is so sad flowers

pinkquartz Wed 23-Jun-21 21:26:08

nexus63 that is so sad

This is so sad and shocking...........How did things ever get to this disgusting way of treating young women? I guess the Dad got away without any consequence? and we need to be vigilant for women's rights in case things become so cruel again

Madgran77 Wed 23-Jun-21 21:46:53

Smurf52 I am so sorry that happened to you. Did you ever have any counselling to help you work through your sadness and emptiness? If not I truly think that it would help you. You may be able to access it through your GP, or go to the counselling directory website to help you access a counsellor.

I wonder if you have considered ways to remember your lost baby in a gentle and loving way. There are so many ways and if you would like to please PM me to talk about those. flowers

silverlining48 Wed 23-Jun-21 22:54:45

Nexus I also worked fir a while in a mental hospital and some of the patients had done no more than defy their parents, and they were put away by them fir the rest of their days.
What was normal then is not OK now, slavery, hanging, homosexuality, domestic violence, (raping a wife was not illegal until relatively recently,) So many terrible things and so it goes. Times change thank goodness and generally fir the better.
As late as the 70s having a child out of wedlock was still frowned and gossiped about and women, but not men, were seen to have brought shame on the family then, as it still does now in some communities.
Apologies now from those who were not even born won’t change anything, though maybe an acknowledgement of wrong can do no harm and sometimes help just a bit in dealing with past pain.

Calendargirl Thu 24-Jun-21 06:56:53

of course the government should apologise, it’s the least they can do

So Boris or Nicola Sturgeon just stands up and says ‘We’re very sorry”.

Words, just words, absolutely pointless.

It doesn’t resolve anything, the babies were still adopted, the mothers left without them. No apology alters that.

Talk’s cheap.

sodapop Thu 24-Jun-21 08:11:59

Absolutely right Calendargirl definitely wouldn't make me feel any better.
In fact it would almost seem like they were trying to gain points for something they were not involved in.

Dryginger Thu 24-Jun-21 08:23:35

I knew a few girls in the 70s who "Had" to get married. 2 of my sisters too. My dad went mad but never made them give up the babys. Most of those marriages broke up. 1 of my sisters is still married and my BIL is seen as our brother he is so lovely. Times have changed a lot since then no stigma or made to feel shame at all its hard to believe that people were so cruel.

BBbevan Thu 24-Jun-21 18:41:26

I had to get married in 1965. No question of abortion or adoption from my parents. 56 years later we are still together. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. God bless those that weren’t.