Gransnet forums

Chat

How would you have reacted?

(56 Posts)
nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 07:59:59

70th birthday. Husband smiling said There's another present in the kitchen. I walked in and there stood my son and partner whom I haven't seen for 3 years and my daughter whom I hadn't seen 18 months. Everything suddenly seemed unreal and I cried for a few minutes. Husband had to get me a drink. I was almost trembling. It was such a shock. I feel so stupid now for behaving like that. Why did I not just snile and say What a wonderful surprise!

Antonia Tue 22-Jun-21 10:40:53

What a lovely surprise for you! Of course you were shocked at first, but I hope you will enjoy your special day with your family.

Squiffy Tue 22-Jun-21 10:49:04

What a wonderful surprise! How lovely of them to have organised it. One birthday that you'll never forget smile Happy 70th Birthday flowers

Grandmadinosaur Tue 22-Jun-21 12:20:28

What a brilliant Birthday surprise and a present money can’t buy.
Happy Birthday and have an amazing time
?

H1954 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:26:04

Because actions speak louder than words. Happy belated 70th birthday by the way and I'm sure your lovely family knew you were delighted to see them after all this time!

SueDonim Tue 22-Jun-21 12:38:38

Oh, that’s just lovely! ❤️ The tears simply prove how much your family mean to you. Have a lovely day, Nadateturbe

I have a funny story about a similar birthday surprise. A friend, Elaine, travelled back home to Australia to surprise her mum on her 80th. She donned a gorilla suit to go into the party. Her mum looked up as she entered and said ‘Oh hello, is that you, Elaine?’ grin

Jane43 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:40:47

That’s the best present you could have received, your reaction was only natural. I’m sure you all enjoyed your time together.

Purplepixie Tue 22-Jun-21 12:48:48

Happy birthday and many more to come. I would have been just the same. Enjoy the day! wine

Sarnia Tue 22-Jun-21 12:53:42

If, fingers crossed, I get to see my daughter in July, I hope Wakefield station will have alerted the coastguard.

Hithere Tue 22-Jun-21 13:03:58

Given the current circumstances, it is more than understandable how you reacted.

How thoughtful!

sharon103 Tue 22-Jun-21 13:13:54

The best present you could wish for.
Have a wonderful birthday flowers

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 13:21:14

I'm almost in tears at all your lovely comments. Thank you all so much.

SueDonim hilarious!
Luckygirl yes, I was very touched. My children have lived in England for a long time before I met my second husband and it was lovely that he felt close enough to them to arrange this.
Fingers crossed for you for July Sarnia.

merlotgran Tue 22-Jun-21 13:21:46

What a wonderful surprise. If you’d been watching it on the telly you’d have been reaching for the Kleenex.

Happy Birthday.

Lucca Tue 22-Jun-21 14:00:47

How lovely !

I turned up unannounced at my sons 40th birthday celebration…..in Sydney. So exciting !

Nannagarra Tue 22-Jun-21 14:22:00

How perfectly wonderful! Happy birthday, nadateturbe. I’ve often wondered about your user name - if it’s no date to be, this certainly was a key date for you seeing your DS, DD and his partner after such a long time.

Kim19 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:28:09

The joy of genuine and spontaneous emotion. Beautiful. Do surprises get better than that? Don't think so. I'm even a big bit envious.

GillT57 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:42:06

How lovely, I would have been the same! Happy birthday flowers wine

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 15:55:57

Lovely comments. Sorry I can't teply personally to all.
That was exciting Lucca.

Nannagarra Nade te turbe means Let nothing disturb you.
It was a favourite piece of Taize music at Circle Dance. We used it for a slow meditational dance to finish our session.

welbeck Tue 22-Jun-21 16:08:16

Nannagarra

How perfectly wonderful! Happy birthday, nadateturbe. I’ve often wondered about your user name - if it’s no date to be, this certainly was a key date for you seeing your DS, DD and his partner after such a long time.

i thought it was,
let nothing disturb thee,
the beginning of a prayer, if i remember correctly.
let nothing disturb thee, nothing afright thee,
all things are passing,
God never changeth;
patient endurance obtaineth to all things,
whom God possesseth in nothing is wanting,
alone God sufficeth.
pati

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 16:47:00

Thanks Wellbeck. Beautiful words.

Nannagarra Tue 22-Jun-21 16:54:43

nadateturbe

Lovely comments. Sorry I can't teply personally to all.
That was exciting Lucca.

Nannagarra Nade te turbe means Let nothing disturb you.
It was a favourite piece of Taize music at Circle Dance. We used it for a slow meditational dance to finish our session.

Thanks. I like to learn. ?

Madgran77 Tue 22-Jun-21 18:13:27

Fantastic surprise and why worry about how you reacted. I would have cried my eyes out in your circumstances ...with happiness, relief and shock!

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 20:35:24

Thanks Madgran. I worried in case I had spoilt it for them and maybe should have controlled my feelings better. I'm glad to hear others would have done the same.

Mattsmum2 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:22:08

What a wonderful surprise and understandable reaction. On my 50th my daughter was living in Germany. My mum flew her back to join in the celebrations and I was equally overcome with tears xxx

grannyactivist Tue 22-Jun-21 21:34:39

Oh my gosh - I can’t imagine a better reason to be overcome with emotion. Happy Birthday indeed! ?

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Jun-21 07:11:19

Hello nadateturbe
I've only just seen your thread.
What wonderful news, I'm so happy for you! ❤️
I notice that you are Cancerian, meaning that family is all important to you.
I hope that you had a fabulous birthday, and wishing you a very, very happy year ahead ?️?