Gransnet forums

Chat

Night Owls

(57 Posts)
Nana3 Mon 12-Jul-21 04:34:48

Shall we have another thread for those of us with sleepless hours to fill?

Nana3 Mon 12-Jul-21 04:52:36

Seems like I haven't slept a wink tonight. I've just made a cup of tea and will read for a while. If anyone else is awake please join in.moon

seacliff Mon 12-Jul-21 05:08:27

Hi,. Can't believe we're the only two awake!! My bed is uncomfortable which doesn't help. New one on order, can't wait.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Jul-21 05:17:06

I m awake I m usually awake by 3 or 4 am
just sometimes get another doze in so might disappear again
?

Nana3 Mon 12-Jul-21 05:19:42

Hi seacliff, I couldn't say my bed was uncomfortable but it must be at least 20 years old!
Hope your new one arrives soon.

seacliff Mon 12-Jul-21 05:24:56

Morning Bluebelle. It is so light, the birds have started up, especially a very melodic wood pidgeon.. The joke is, this is one of my 2 work days, working from home. They've said office will not open until noon cos of football! I am tempted to start now, and have a siesta later.

Nana3 Mon 12-Jul-21 05:51:39

Morning BlueBelle good luck with getting your doze.
My neighbours were still partying at 2-30am, I'm guessing they are all asleep now. ?

Aldom Mon 12-Jul-21 08:44:41

I used to sleep badly until I tried something suggested on Gransnet. Tie your pillow down the middle, then put on the pillow case. I used a long, lightweight cotton scarf. This provides a perfect nest for my head. No neck pain to wake me. Result.... Uninterrupted sleep.

Mollygo Mon 12-Jul-21 12:58:00

Wow Aldom! I never thought of that. I spent ages scrunching my pillow up to get it comfortable. Now I have a memory foam neck support shaped one, but it’s a bit hard.

Aldom Mon 12-Jul-21 13:07:59

Mollygo Give it a try on a synthetic or feather pillow and see if it helps. I didn't find the memory foam pillow helped. As you said, they are hard. Since tying my pillow I go to bed with a feeling of confidence that I will sleep. I have only had one bad night since I started using this method. I'm grateful to the Gransnetter lady who posted the idea originally, but unfortunately I don't remember her name.

Nana3 Mon 12-Jul-21 23:09:07

Please let us know how you get on if you try Aldom's pillow technique Mollygo.
I'm hoping for a better night, we'll see.

Georgesgran Tue 13-Jul-21 04:39:30

Haven’t bothered going to bed at all. Watched Morse on +1 then Nightcops and Road Wars.
Started to get light before 4am, so at least I’ll be ready to meet a friend at 10.am!

FannyCornforth Tue 13-Jul-21 04:57:59

Hello Owls ?!
Thank you Aldom from me too for that tip. I've currently got a very complicated pillow set up.

FannyCornforth Tue 13-Jul-21 04:59:17

Georgesgran I hope that you and your friend have a lovely day

nanna8 Tue 13-Jul-21 05:30:27

Hi all,
2.15 in the afternoon here, just got back from shopping and the power is out so using roving phone internet. Got the wood fire going but we have had so many power cuts we are running out of firewood. Just saw this little pale brown rat like animal running across our back decking. Pussy is hunting him and getting frantic with excitement. It is not a possum but looks too pale for a rat though it has a long rat like tail. About 10 inches long.

Nana3 Tue 13-Jul-21 07:08:05

Hi FannyC, I was hoping you would join in with this thread. Not meaning you were awake though, sorry.
I had a good night, how about everyone else?
Georgesgran hope you're not too tired when you meet your friend.

Nana3 Tue 13-Jul-21 07:13:13

Nanna8 hope you're safely in the land of nod.

NanKate Tue 13-Jul-21 07:19:56

I was awake at 02.00 got a cuppa, RichTea and a paracetamol. Played on the IPad and then tried to go back to sleep. Still awake at 4.30 then woke at 6.30. I feel rubbish this morning as I am not used to such disrupted sleep like some of you night owls.

Nana3 Tue 13-Jul-21 07:27:14

Will you stay in bed for longer this morning NanKate ?

Gingster Tue 13-Jul-21 07:27:25

I’m going to try that tied pillow trick. I have very sore ears if I lie on either one for too long. The pain wakes me. Ive tried a special pillow with a hole in the middle but it wasn’t successful. Anyone else have this condition?

Kim19 Tue 13-Jul-21 07:28:16

Hi all. Been awake for ages but unaware of this thread. The last owls one seemed to fizzle out naturally and that was fine by me. I will certainly have a go at that pillow suggestion. Thank you. Been lying through the night re enjoying an unexpectedly pleasant visit I had with a cousin yesterday. We meet comparatively regularly but our conversations usually cover the here and now activities. However, we stumbled into reminiscences of our past and it was so wonderful to be reminded of all the various family happenstances that had slipped into our recesses. Sometimes hilarious, sometimes sad but all stuff that happened. An unexpected joy indeed. Today holds some pleasant planting out in the garden and a wee bit of the less joyful tidying. Ugh. Good when it's done though! Onwards.........!

FannyCornforth Tue 13-Jul-21 07:37:54

Kim the thread only 'fizzles out' because no one other than me searches for it!

Kim19 Tue 13-Jul-21 07:51:23

Fanny, I never search for anything. Simply hit on the active trending stuff.

Mollygo Tue 13-Jul-21 08:27:16

Had to be up early this am for a breakfast meeting, so of course I only slept on and off, but refused to pick up my phone. I didn’t try the pillow thing last night-I couldn’t find anything to tie round it, but tonight . . .

Aldom Tue 13-Jul-21 08:46:43

Gingster

I’m going to try that tied pillow trick. I have very sore ears if I lie on either one for too long. The pain wakes me. Ive tried a special pillow with a hole in the middle but it wasn’t successful. Anyone else have this condition?

I have one ear that easily becomes painful, but in the six + months since tying my pillow it hasn't happened. I'm not aware of direct pressure on my ears when my head is in the 'nest'. I lie on my side too. Usually I wake up in exactly the same position as I fell asleep. Hope the pillow tying will help some of you. I know what it's like not to be able to sleep.