Gransnet forums

Chat

No sleep

(93 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 21-Jul-21 06:55:09

I had a terrible night last night, about 2 hours sleep. Tossing and turning,drinking cold water, up and down to the bathroom, roll on when its cooler once more at night. I have a busy day today as well(isnt that always the way) Shopping and getting petrol for the car. My Niece is coming round this afternoon and then i have a committee meeting this evening with the bowling club. All i want to do is slump in the armchair. Going to try and get to the shops by 9am then maybe i can catch 40winks when i get home before my niece arrives.

BBbevan Wed 21-Jul-21 17:26:48

It is boiling upstairs even with all the windows open and the blinds closed. Luckily we have one down stairs bedroom at the back of the house which is very cool. We have decamped there for the last few nights. So a lovely sleep.

geekesse Wed 21-Jul-21 17:35:12

Soroptimum

I’ve got a ‘cobber’. It’s a scarf filled with gel balls that you soak in water for 30 minutes. Then put round your neck. Absolute lifesaver as I too can’t cope in the heat. Amazon sell them.

A damp tea towel does the trick as well.

Rosycheeks Wed 21-Jul-21 18:09:05

I dont like the heat and im like a vampire in the sun being a ginge. Im going to look on Amazon for that cobber, Soropitimum. I have just washed up our lunch things and Im sweating sorry "glowing"!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Jul-21 19:07:05

I can definitely see the benefit of air conditioning. On holiday the hotels we stayed in had a/c and a totally comfortable nights sleep.

Home and phew! I’d be happy to get it just for the bedroom.

DanniRae Wed 21-Jul-21 19:41:27

I take to bed a frozen ice block (used for picnics) in a container with a damp flannel on top...........if I wake up really hot the flannel cools me down. Especially amazing on the back of my neck! smile

bikergran Wed 21-Jul-21 20:54:53

Would love to sleep with the windows wide open, but with only me being in the house and maybe someone able to climb on the conservatory roof to steal me I'm
afraid its windows on first lock (about half an inch) tut.

Hoping to get to screwfix tomorrow they have some kind of catch that allows the windows to remain open a little wider but doesn't allow it to be opened from the outside any wider (if I'm right)

travelsafar Thu 22-Jul-21 10:11:58

Happy to report i am still in my PJ's after having a great nights sleep last night. Didnt wake till 9am this morning and i have been checking the news and emails and of course GN.... now off to the shower. Have a great day everyone.

Janeea Thu 22-Jul-21 11:09:56

Absolutely loving this heat, could stay forever for me, I was brought up in Singapore so maybe that’s why, I know several people close to me are suffering and my heart goes out to you all who are but at least here in uk it doesn’t last

Diane7 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:11:30

I close my blinds wherever the sun is plus if your windows are wide open you are letting hot air in during the day.

Awesomegranny Thu 22-Jul-21 11:14:53

Suffering too, but I order to help cool myself at night I’ve put cold water in my hot water bottle and then chilled it in the fridge before placing in my bed at night certainly at the start of the night I have cold feet

Fashionista1 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:22:37

I find this weather too much. I keep the blinds down and curtains drawn in my bedroom all day and it does keep cooler. I have a 3 tog light duvet and I avoid any alcohol or drinks after 5pm which can keep me awake. If I wake in the night and can't get back to sleep, a few chapters of my book usually sends me off. We have a bungalow and my bedroom is at the front so I can't open the windows but I do keep the door open. I wear an eye mask too but there is nobody but me to see it!

Toadinthehole Thu 22-Jul-21 11:23:07

We always shut all doors and windows during the day, if temperatures go over about 27 degrees. Sounds mad, but it does work. You keep the heat out of the house, in much the same way you keep the cold out in the winter. When the sun goes down, we open everything up. Put fans by the windows, to drag the cooler air in. Just a suggestion.

Foxyferret Thu 22-Jul-21 11:23:22

I take a small bowl of grapes up at bedtime. Quenches your thirst and you don’t have to keep running to the loo.

Toadinthehole Thu 22-Jul-21 11:23:53

Meant to say, ‘ and curtains ‘ too. Keep the house dark.

11unicorn Thu 22-Jul-21 11:26:14

I love the heat, though it's still mild in Scotland

The BBC run an article beginning of the week and said, put some socks in the fridge and then put on cold as you are cooling down from the feet up.

Barrygirl Thu 22-Jul-21 11:27:26

nadateturbe

Maybe possibly try temporarily sleeping in a different part of the house. Luckily my bedroom is the coolest room.

I have been sleeping on the sofa bed downstairs with the back door open. I keep one sheet to cover me with in the freezer all day - it doesn't stay cold for long but is bliss while it lasts! I keep the house cool all day - all curtains closed except in the room I am in and windows/doors open front and back to let the air circulate. Thunder and rain on Saturday!!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:28:11

I love the heat, but if you are trouble by it and can't sleep you might want to consider some of these options.

Close your bedroom curtains or blinds during the day to keep the sunlight out.

Air the room well before going to bed , or sleep with a window open.

Sleep outdoors in your garden or on a balcony if yo ú have one.

Make sure you drink plenty of fluids early in the day - the last couple of hours before bedtime is not the right time as it will inevitably lead to trips to the toilet through the night.

Use lighter bedclothes

Juicylucy Thu 22-Jul-21 11:32:59

Sorry. Sun lover here. Yes I get it’s hard to sleep but I find it funny so many people desperately trying to fly to the sun but they complain about our heat. I’m not saying your ones of those people. After weeks of rain I find it a welcome release, it adds another space to the house being able to sit outside either in the sun or the shade. Typical English weather tho it’s due to rain again next week. ☀️☀️

CarlyD7 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:44:01

This is the only thing that works for us: Whoever wakes up first, makes sure that all the curtains & blinds on the south side of the house are closed (and they stay closed until late in the evening when it's cooled down); all the windows on the North side are flung open, together with the garden doors (we have a north facing back garden) to let in as much cool air as possible into the house for the day ahead - they stay open all day. Lots of cold drinks (including iced coffee - yum); light meals (yesterday I had an ice cream for lunch - that's all I wanted) mainly salads - very cooling; wear as few clothes as you can get away with; regularly splash faces with water and let dry naturally. If I start feeling uncomfortable, I run a cold tap over my wrists (palm of the hand upwards) which helps. One day, I put my feet in a bowl of cool water - bliss. Cool shower before bed. And, sadly, hubby is in the spare room at the moment as we are too hot to share a bed! (A friend puts a pair of cotton socks in her freezer a few hours before bed and then puts them on when she's ready to try to sleep - she swears by it).

Jules29 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:48:30

I’d heard of the opening the loft hatch tip earlier in the year trying it for the first time this week and really does seem to help.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 22-Jul-21 11:53:54

Travels I sympathise and pass on a few tips that I’ve picked up over the years.
If you have a loft batch open it during the day so the hot air can rise up into it. Close at bedtime

Fill a hit water bottle and freeze, wrap in a pillowcase and have it in bed.

You can buy a cooling sheet from Amazon which is about the size of two tea towels. Wring out in cold water and drape over yourself in bed. It stays cold for hours.

Buy a cool pad, head size or whole body size. Haven’t tried these myself but a friend swears by them.

Have a tepid, not cold, shower before bed.

Hope this helps a bit, but the weather is supposed to be cooling down tomorrow anyway.
Good luck and sleep well.

travelsafar Thu 22-Jul-21 12:05:42

There is no way i would open the loft hatch as it is in my bedroom, especially after watching the episode of Luther where an intruder hid in the loft all day and crept out a night!!!! lol. smile

winterwhite Thu 22-Jul-21 12:12:04

Anyone else tried putting a full size bath towel on top of the bottom sheet? Absorbs stickiness and does away with tossing and turning. Works for me, with nothing on top of me, not even a sheet.

grandMattie Thu 22-Jul-21 12:15:09

I do two things -
1. I freeze a hot water bottle and have that to cool down;
2. I have a damp flat double sheet across the open window {curtains closed] and that helps to cool the room - our bedroom faces west so receives the full blast of the sun in the summer.

sharonarnott Thu 22-Jul-21 12:20:57

I currently have 2 huge fans in the bedroom and I take a frozen hot water bottle up with me. This usually does the trick but it appears not in these temperatures. I can however highly recommend a tepid shower and then before you dry yourself, stand in front of a fan. For a few minutes it feels arctic and absolute bliss. The first time O did it, it actually took my breath away lol