Gransnet forums

Chat

A Saga of Fire and Ice Lollies.

(115 Posts)
Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:56:43

Recently someone on a thread mentioned ye olden days when I was a wee whatever, and a treat of yesterday that you don’t see nowadays - an ice cream wafer. I used to love those.

At home as a kid we didn’t have a fridge ( probably invented but no way we could afford one where I grew up). Ma used to put the milk bottles in a pail of water in the pantry to try and keep it from turning. Everyone shopped daily and summer was a battle to stop things going off.
I won’t relate some of the horrors we were subjected to, the least was weavils all over biscuits and crackers.

As time went by we would get a lolly ice as a treat. They were usually bright orange and dyed all the skin round your mouth and on your hands so you looked like one of the Simpsons.

My favourite lolly ice ever was a Strawberry Mivvi. I don’t know if they still make them or if they do, if they taste the same.
I think they made Pineapple mivvies too.

What was your favourite ice cream or lolly from those golden days ?

Greyduster Fri 23-Jul-21 07:10:08

I’ve never liked any ice lolly that had ice cream in the middle, but I liked Jubblies, Orange Maid and Walls Lemonade Lolly. Mostly though, we would get a penny lolly from the corner shop. They were frozen in little cylindrical metal moulds and the grocer used to have to rub the mould between his hands to free the lolly. We used to save the sticks to make models with! As for ice cream, our local ice cream man used to make his own and it was really delicious. Milky rather than creamy; there was always a queue for his van. Years later I had an ice cream maker and the base recipe in the book produced an ice cream that tasted just like it. Took us back years!

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Jul-21 08:16:22

I can’t believe so many people like the sorts of ices I never did!
The horrible marshmallow ones, the chocolate ones, minty ones, the ones with hundreds and thousands on… I could go on …and worst of all, the one with bubble gum!

Obviously this is why the manufacturers offered variety!
??

Callistemon Fri 23-Jul-21 10:04:31

Shelflife

' cider lollies' remember those ?

Yes, it felt quite daring to have one of those, like underage drinking!

Infinity2 Fri 23-Jul-21 10:36:48

Shelflife and Callistemon - spot on. Probably made of real cider in those days too !

Teacheranne Fri 23-Jul-21 10:44:04

Slightly off on a tangent but yesterday the company that owns several local care homes in Stockport, my mum lives in one, arranged for a Mr Whippy ice cream van to visit each one in turn to give every resident and staff a 99 ice cream. I happened to be passing one home while the van was there and saw a line of elderly residents lined up waiting to get one. It was a really kind thought from the company.

cornergran Fri 23-Jul-21 10:59:36

Deprived person here. Growing up next to a busy dual carriageway for some reason an ice cream van never stopped hmm. Staying with family I recalled waiting eagerly for this rare vehicle, when asked what I’d like the answer was always ‘anything’. grin. I was just fascinated by the van and how one person could produce anything that was asked for. Usually ice cream wafers for the whole family. I discovered Aldi sell a modern version, soggy wafers, not the same at all. Now it’s plain vanilla ice cream for me every time, boring I know.

Infinity2 Fri 23-Jul-21 13:09:17

Teacheranne - that’s a lovely story. How kind ???

Cornergran - my friend lived on a main road with a bus stop outside her house. Never an ice cream van for her either.

I think there were laws in the fifties about when they could play their chimes. They had to stop at either five or seven I think.
I used to love to hear the sound of the ice cream van.
It’s years since I’ve heard the chimes.

3nanny6 Fri 23-Jul-21 13:26:17

Ice cream van was a great treat when I was younger. All tastes
were catered for so it had to be a different choice every time.
The tubs were lovely it could be strawberry, chocolate, or butterscotch topped with the sauce and sprinkled with nuts if wanted. The 99s were nice sometimes a double one and you got two flakes in it. There was nice lolly as well choclolate and nut coating and either chocolate inside or coconut.
My children were obsessed with a screwball it had the bubblegum at the bottom and lots of swirly ice cream with sauce.
Oh those were the days. (smiling)

3nanny6 Fri 23-Jul-21 13:31:22

NotSpaghetti : your post mentioned the worst ice cream of all you said the one with the bubblegum. It was called a screwball and my kids loved them.

I've seen them in the supermarkets in boxes you can still get them.

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 13:44:08

Aw yes loved the oysters- still do,though not had one for a couple of summers now..?the mivvies were nice- but my fave was a 'ice cream special' the ice cream van put whipped ice cream on a cone, piled high, then sprinkles like kali and stuck a small blue ice lolly in it.(like a 99 with a little ice lolly) The lolly was shaped like those little ones you can get to make at home in a lolly maker, flat at the end) occasionally he had orange or cola ones too but i loved the blue. You could buy the little lollies on their own too for a few pennies, then for about 3p when we went decimal.

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 13:46:24

Think you can still buy mivvies- but made by Nestlé now.

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 13:48:19

Yes screwballs were great too, my kids liked those (some still do?) they taste bit fake though.

Witzend Fri 23-Jul-21 13:52:13

Orange Maid! But it would stain if you let it drip down you front.
A rare treat anyway.
I’m not bothered about such things at all now, esp. ice cream, but I’ll still have the odd Solero.
Dh loves Magnums.

LindaPat Fri 23-Jul-21 13:58:16

When I was little we had ice cream as a treat after Sunday lunch. The ice cream man ( Mr Oddy )would stop at the end of our lane, usually just as we finished lunch. It was my job to go to the van with a bowl, and ask for "3 scoops of ice cream please". Such a treat, especially when drizzled with strawberry juice!
On Wednesday we had our first ice cream for months ( on low carb diet ). We went to Filey and had a Mr Whippy from a lady in a van at the end of the prom. It was delicious! x

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 14:17:17

We had a lovely (famous) ice cream parlour locally when i was a kid- CADDY'S - and it was really old fashioned inside from back in days when it was first open, (1901) but it was the creamiest, purest ice cream ever- really pure white- when i was abot 4/5 (late 60's) the caddy's was brought round our streets as well the guy on a bycycle with a cold box on back- then by early 70's promoted to a caddys van.Sadly they closed him down by 1980 to demolish for a new bus stn/retail area. Sad days. Mr Caddy (as we called him) vowed to never open up anywhere else & took his special family ice cream recipe to his grave?

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 14:19:34

It was'nt Caddys did the whippys with lollies though- Caddys were only served by a scoop.It was very special ice cream, never tasted any creamier.

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 14:21:35

In these modern time they would probably have made them keep Caddys as a protected building.

Infinity2 Fri 23-Jul-21 17:51:51

Nannan2 - Caddys sounds absolutely lovely. Ice cream parlours ! You don’t see them nowadays, at least not round here. Reminds me of Lyons Corner Houses and the Kardomah coffee house.

I don’t think that ice cream tastes the same nowadays unless it’s just my palette is giving up the ghost.
As for those bright blue lolly ices that some of you liked, they were probably so full of E numbers and suchlike that they were radioactive. You probably glowed in the dark after eating one.

Rosycheeks Fri 23-Jul-21 17:55:09

Has anyone made ice cream with condensed milk it delish and no churning.

timetogo2016 Sat 24-Jul-21 09:16:43

They do still make mivis Infinity2.
But nothing tastes the same these days,or maybe that could be because we are adults.
I loved Oyster wafers with ice-cream inside/jubblys/99`s actually anything really as it was such a treat.

BlueSapphire Sat 24-Jul-21 11:00:43

Orange Maid was my favourite. We also had an Italian ice cream man with a van, Cavaciutti's; we used to love his ice cream in shell wafers.

May7 Sat 24-Jul-21 11:55:36

I loved Fab lollies with the sprinkles and Orange maids but my favourite was Arctic roll after Sunday Salad

Jaxjacky Sat 24-Jul-21 12:55:26

We still get an ice cream van, an Italian family concern, once a week, I had a cone with red and green sauce a few weeks ago!

Widnesbabcia Sun 25-Jul-21 10:39:04

Walls heart lollys
Choc covered heart shaped ice cream with a red blob in the middle

Lizzies Sun 25-Jul-21 10:52:12

We lived above the bakery that my Mum managed and it had a freezer with Ebor ice creams and lollies. My sister and I were only allowed a lolly when they were broken! Orange or raspberry were my favourite,but you took what you could get!