Gransnet forums

Chat

A Saga of Fire and Ice Lollies.

(115 Posts)
Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 16:56:43

Recently someone on a thread mentioned ye olden days when I was a wee whatever, and a treat of yesterday that you don’t see nowadays - an ice cream wafer. I used to love those.

At home as a kid we didn’t have a fridge ( probably invented but no way we could afford one where I grew up). Ma used to put the milk bottles in a pail of water in the pantry to try and keep it from turning. Everyone shopped daily and summer was a battle to stop things going off.
I won’t relate some of the horrors we were subjected to, the least was weavils all over biscuits and crackers.

As time went by we would get a lolly ice as a treat. They were usually bright orange and dyed all the skin round your mouth and on your hands so you looked like one of the Simpsons.

My favourite lolly ice ever was a Strawberry Mivvi. I don’t know if they still make them or if they do, if they taste the same.
I think they made Pineapple mivvies too.

What was your favourite ice cream or lolly from those golden days ?

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 13:52:43

God bless us Alioop - that’s a relief !!!

elleks Sun 25-Jul-21 13:58:51

Widnesbabcia

Walls heart lollys
Choc covered heart shaped ice cream with a red blob in the middle

I used to get one of those from the kiosk when we went to a nearby outdoor swimming pool. I also used to like a Raspberry Split-it was like a Mivvi, but with raspberry ice instead of strawberry.

elleks Sun 25-Jul-21 14:11:58

The other frozen treat I remember from the 60's and 70's was blocks of frozen mousse; I think Birds Eye did them. Mum would send us to the corner shop just before Sunday lunch, and we'd have them for "afters".

nanasam Sun 25-Jul-21 14:49:03

We had Rossi’s Italian ice cream van come round (1958) and they had a gadget where they put a flat wafer at the bottom, then took a spatula-full of ice cream and scraped it on the sides of the gadget. Then they put another wafer on the top and slid a lever which pushed the wafer out of the top. It was the most wonderful ice cream, really creamy and yellow and it had ice crystals throughout. My mouth is watering just thinking of it, yum!

Blondie49 Sun 25-Jul-21 15:10:45

One of my favs was same as Kim19 , not allowed to say now ( might have been a Scottish phrase ) but same, only as special treat. Loved jubblies, strawberry mivvis and turquoise ice poles . When mum bought ice cream from corner shop , they cut it off a large block then wrapped in newspaper to keep cool. Also remember my mum putting milk bottles in a soaking wet dimpled sponge jacket to keep cool, think she bought from ideal home exhibition. Happy days ?

leeds22 Sun 25-Jul-21 16:36:11

Another orange jubbly fan here. A gang of us used to club together to buy a large block of walls ice cream sandwich and a bottle of dandelion and burdock pop, share it out in tall glasses, ice cream at the bottom and slurp, yummy. When in Italy (I wish), a brioche con gelato goes down nicely.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 25-Jul-21 16:41:39

I used to love a Nougat, where one wafer was substituted for a nougat!

Musicgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 16:53:06

My favourite was Pink Elephant. This was a choc ice with strawberry ice cream and l think cost 2 or 3 p. I also liked Strawberry Splits and Fab lollies.

Musicgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 17:00:26

When I was 10 1/2, l was in an adults’ ENT ward having mastoid surgery on my ear (major operation which is why I wasn’t in the children’s ward) and stayed for two weeks. Most of the other patients had had their tonsils removed and ice cream was thought to be helpful in healing afterwards (l still agree with that theory) so was on the menu each day. There was nothing wrong with my throat but ice cream was a fairly rare treat so l chose it every day.

Nannytopsy Sun 25-Jul-21 17:03:44

Banana Big K milk lollies! Always a winner!

narrowboatnan Sun 25-Jul-21 17:09:24

We didn’t have a fridge when I was little, but we had a marble slab on the pantry shelf and a stone floor which always felt cool underfoot. We also had a square manhole cover near the back door which covered a well and mother used to put bottles of milk in a metal bucket and lower that down the well shaft. The rope attached to the bucket handle would be tied to a broom handle placed across the top of the shaft. How nobody ever tripped over it or fell down the well I’ll never know!

narrowboatnan Sun 25-Jul-21 17:12:50

Forgot to add - ice cream was a rare treat in those days and was usually in the form of a long, oblong slab of Neapolitan ice cream that came in a cardboard wrapping. It was sliced up and sandwiched between two wafers. Because there was no way of saving any for later it all got eaten in one sitting, but there were four of us and I think father must have had the lion’s share.

Moth62 Sun 25-Jul-21 18:28:37

I remember my dad taking me to Notorianni’s in Bridlington (I think) to try their ice cream, as he’d been in Italy during the war and wanted me to taste the real thing. Loved Italian ice cream ever since!

CeeCee Sun 25-Jul-21 18:30:43

1Summer I think we grew up in the same city, I always thought they were called D Di's too. We moved to a Norfolk seaside town 7 years ago and the the ice cream shop on the prom is called Di Mascio. I was telling the owner about D Di Mascio turns out it was his uncle's business and he had photos of him from when he first came to England. His ice cream is delicious too. My favourite back in the day was a cider lolly or a wafer. I can still remember the tune he played.

ElaineI Sun 25-Jul-21 18:41:10

We've never stopped having ice cream vans round the streets and to the park in the summer and weekends. Now the grandchildren run in wanting money smile. Favourite for DGS2 age 3 is a vanilla cone with red (raspberry) sauce - no flake, no sprinkles granny! The older 2 are more discerning. There have been ice cream wars in Midlothian between sellers!

labradorlinda33 Sun 25-Jul-21 18:43:28

Nothing could be nicer than a Pendleton's twicer...
I've never forgotten that ditty...

Kacee Sun 25-Jul-21 18:48:51

Rosie heels we used to have Tizer with ice cream, I used to love it.

I also remember playing lolly sticks. When you had finished your lollies one of you would hold it between two hands and the other would have to break it in the middle. It could get a bit painful at times.

MamaCaz Sun 25-Jul-21 18:55:40

I liked an ice cream push-up from Coletta's ice cream van (theirs was my favourite brand of ice cream).

If the Dixon's van came around, I usually had a lime teddy bear ice lolly, because I wasn't keen on their ice cream.

In my teens, I liked an ice cream wafer made with the thick, chocolatey wafers!

Mmm - I will have to go raid the freezer now for some sort of ice cream grin

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 18:57:13

I’d forgotten those small round banana flavoured lolly ices - they were delicious.

Bijou Sun 25-Jul-21 19:18:32

I remember when the Walls ice cream came riding around on a bicycle .
I didn’t get a fridge until 1960 but the milkman came round every day as did the baker and butcher when we lived in London. I made a sort of ice cream with evaporated milk.

Riggie Sun 25-Jul-21 21:45:43

BlueBelle

infinity I m with you, no fridge. Milk kept in water in an large earthenware vessel meat kept under a mesh umbrella thingy in the pantry, shopped daily
Strawberry Mivvi was my absolute favourite

Relatives of mine didn't have a fridge ever. I remember taking my new dh to visit them in 1995 and he was horrified by the sterilised milk. (He drinks his tea and coffee black but Uncle was deaf and didn't hear the request). They weren't poor but Uncle was a miser and controlled the purse strings.

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 22:00:37

Rigger - Yes the good old days NOT ! I think fridges and freezers were the best inventions ever !

I must confess to eating two Magnums today and I don’t even like them that much, I think they’re too creamy. And they were salted caramel which I hate. But I ate them because I was hot !

nexus63 Sun 25-Jul-21 22:34:53

when the ice-cream van came round my gran used to throw me a threepenny bit from the veranda to get a cone with raspberry sauce, as i got bigger she would take me to a wee cafe and get me ice-cream and ginger beer, on my birthday i got a knickerbocker glory. at school i would go to the shop and get a jubbly, as i got older i am less keen on ice cream but sometimes i buy the fab ice lollies.

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Jul-21 22:53:21

I can't remember when we bought a fridge-freezer but we definitely didn't have one in 1992.

keriku Sun 25-Jul-21 23:13:29

We didn’t have a fridge till I was about 10. It was a Prestcold and came from a Prefab that was being demolished. We used to buy those blocks of ice cream from the wee shop opposite our house and mum would slice it up so we all got a bit. Being from a big family I still say I could pour out equal sized Tupperware tumblers of juice with my eyes shut! Sadly, two local Italian ice cream cafes have closed in the last year or so. No more Irn Bru ice cream for us.