Gransnet forums

Chat

When we were young and beautiful

(114 Posts)
JackyB Tue 27-Jul-21 07:21:48

Back in the day, it was easier for men to compliment girls. Do you remember nice things that were said to you (or about you) when you were in your teens/twenties?

I can remember one, said to my boyfriend about me by a local roué, but I'd rather not repeat it.

My fondest memory would be when we had dancing lessons in the 2nd form (so we were about 12!) and two of the best looking boys in our year almost fighting over me when they had to choose a partner!

tanith Tue 27-Jul-21 09:35:36

I had a huge crush on a junior manager when I was 17 he wasn’t much older, the week I was about to get married he told me he liked me a lot I was beautiful and if things were different. If only he’d said something sooner, but hey ho I tell myself he never really meant it.

Alizarin Tue 27-Jul-21 09:40:28

I was never beautiful but had a cracking pair of legs (not now, I might add!). And yes Yammy miniskirts were very mini. I worked at the BBC aged 19. The place had a sweeping staircase. When I left to get married I was presented with a box of knickers (as well as other presents) 'In memory of miniskirts'. I was very naive and hadn't realised the view I presented climbing the stairs.

Kate1949 Tue 27-Jul-21 09:50:06

I can remember in the '60s rarely going out without getting chatted up. Even once when my DH went to the loo a man rushed over to me and said 'What time do you dump the bloke?'. I loved it all. Oh well, all good things come to an end smile

Greeneyedgirl Tue 27-Jul-21 09:55:13

Me too Ashcombe. I had a blond, pretty sister and I was/am the plain one. Years ago the most attention I got was a sore bottom from the “pinchers” in Italy. I think that “custom” has ceased now thankfully.

annodomini Tue 27-Jul-21 09:59:59

I was the dumpy, shy, bookish duckling in my schooldays. The swan emerged in my 20s when I lost weight and became more confident. I have a studio photo that shows me in a very good light and keep it to remind me that I once had looks! Not that I can remember any great compliments - I suppose actions spoke louder than words - iyswim. [blush[

nanna8 Tue 27-Jul-21 10:00:45

I remember getting wolf whistles when I walked around. Very non PC these days but I was flattered and used to like it.Did my self esteem good as I was quite a shy person when I was young. Another thing when you are young,you can stuff your face and never put on an ounce of fat. Those were the days.

BlueSky Tue 27-Jul-21 10:02:05

Agree the French and Italians make a girl feel good, whether you are 19 or 90! And you didn’t have to be particularly beautiful. Such charmers!

Alegrias1 Tue 27-Jul-21 10:08:38

My DH once told me I was the smartest person he'd met.

I remember that but I don't remember any of the "compliments" from random men in the street.

Blossoming Tue 27-Jul-21 10:35:56

Yep, as a teenager I got my fair share of creepy comments from random strangers, but I considered them to be harassment rather than compliments.

Calendargirl Tue 27-Jul-21 11:14:10

You only seem to find out later that people found you attractive.

I suppose it’s the same for blokes. I used to fancy a lad who worked in the local butchers, but just admired him from afar.
And another one who worked in the hardware shop.

I didn’t get out much!

sad

Sago Tue 27-Jul-21 11:23:19

A passage from the Alchemist
Paulo Coelho

The alchemist knew the legend of Narcissus, a youth who knelt daily beside a lake to contemplate his own beauty. He was so fascinated by himself that, one morning, he fell into the lake and drowned. At the spot where he fell, a flower was born, which was called the narcissus.

But this was not how the author of the book ended the story.

He said that when Narcissus died, the goddesses of the forest appeared and found the lake, which had been fresh water, transformed into a lake of salty tears.

'Why do you weep?' the goddesses asked.

'I weep for Narcissus," the lake replied.

'Ah, it is no surprise that you weep for Narcissus,' they said, 'for though we always pursued him in the forest, you alone could contemplate his beauty close at hand.'

'But... was Narcissus beautiful?' the lake asked.

'Who better than you to know that?' the goddesses asked in wonder. 'After all, it was by your banks that he knelt each day to contemplate himself!'

The lake was silent for some time. Finally, it said:

'I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected.'

'What a lovely story,' the alchemist thought.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Redhead56 Tue 27-Jul-21 11:32:27

I can remember getting wolf whistles and feeling good about it. When I did get compliments I didn’t take them seriously as I lacked self confidence.
My DD and her DH had friends around to watch sport and chill. A couple of the guys asked who the woman was in a picture on the bookcase. It was me and my DH at a party when we started dating years ago. Both of the friends said that I was really good looking and how lovely and slim I was. I was in my late thirties so it was a most welcome compliment.

threexnanny Tue 27-Jul-21 12:12:37

I never thought I was pretty when young. However, most people think my daughter looks exactly like me when that age and she is very pretty. How is that possible????

Sara1954 Tue 27-Jul-21 16:34:24

I always seemed to attract the obsessive ones, at least one gentleman would have been labelled a stalker these days. My husband had to go and see him eventually, started off quite flattering, but ended up quite scary.

Callistemon Tue 27-Jul-21 17:09:25

Marydoll

Oh I was never beautiful, so I can't relate to that! ?

However, when we used to visit our favourite restaurant in Rome, I was always greeted by the owner with a lovely smile, a hug and the words, Cara bellissima
He always made me feel beautiful!

Me neither.

However, when I was about 17 I had an Italian pen friend arranged through college, so quite above board. We exchanged photos and wrote for a while then I got a letter from her older brother who sent a photo and a passionate love letter. He adored me, wanted to marry me, would love me for ever grin and if I didn't go to Napoli to be with him he would come to fetch me!

I stopped writing and he never arrived.

Callistemon Tue 27-Jul-21 17:15:06

Ellianne

French men are pretty good at it too! winewine
(I once left a devastated French fiancé behind in France!)

Yes, they are.

I had a French boyfriend in France too.
They are also good at two-timing.
He dented my heart slightly ?

BBbevan Tue 27-Jul-21 17:26:43

I well remember being enormously pregnant with my DS. DH and I went to his firms Christmas party. One of the men there who I didn’t know told me how beautiful I was. I’ve never forgotten it.

Soozikinzi Tue 27-Jul-21 17:42:57

I also have had a compliment I have never forgotten from my husband’s friend who passed away at an early age . We were in a club and my husband who was my boyfriend at the time was at the bar . He said you could have your pick of any man in this room. I did tell my husband after he had died . It was the nicest compliment ive ever had . I was very shy and not confident at all . So Ive never forgotten it .

Maggiemaybe Tue 27-Jul-21 17:55:43

I had an American penpal, Callistemon. His name was Randy (I kid you not), and of course he asked for a photo. I sent him one of my friend and myself, and still have a copy of it - we're resplendent in our mini-skirts and painted-on bottom lashes, sitting by our coal fire eating what could well be a Vesta curry from soup bowls. Of course I expected a fulsome compliment from him and all he did was ask what my friend's name was. I don't think I wrote to him again after that.

Marydoll Tue 27-Jul-21 18:21:12

I've remembered another incident. Many years ago I met DH in a pub ( a rare treat with three children under five to look after) near his office in Glasgow City Centre.
The next day the office gossip was that the boss (DH) was having an affair with a stunning redhead. I was really chuffed!

Tea3 Tue 27-Jul-21 18:37:17

My forties seem to have been the golden years. Lacked confidence and chutzpah to feel good about myself in earlier years. I don’t think attractiveness is just about looks. I think you need to believe in yourself and project your personality.

Shandy57 Tue 27-Jul-21 18:41:20

I regret feeling self conscious when I was young, I remember being 'ashamed' of my fat arms. Now I'm 64 with arms I definitely don't want to show with rivers of wasted muscle, I wish I'd known what I know now, that all youth is beautiful.

Kate1949 Tue 27-Jul-21 18:44:32

My husband always put me in my place! We were once at a posh do in London. I was tiny then and had a tight skimpy dress on. A man started chatting to us. He was staring at me and said to my DH 'I love beautiful women,' My DH replied 'Me too. One day I hope to get one'. grin

crazyH Tue 27-Jul-21 18:54:34

You can be attractive without being beautiful. I was that young girl, and I think I still am, even at this age. My nose is big, my teeth are not perfect, my legs are skinny, but I am a ‘chatter ‘……maybe that’s why ……

Sara1954 Tue 27-Jul-21 19:01:00

Kate
That’s horrible!