Gransnet forums

Chat

When we were young and beautiful

(114 Posts)
JackyB Tue 27-Jul-21 07:21:48

Back in the day, it was easier for men to compliment girls. Do you remember nice things that were said to you (or about you) when you were in your teens/twenties?

I can remember one, said to my boyfriend about me by a local roué, but I'd rather not repeat it.

My fondest memory would be when we had dancing lessons in the 2nd form (so we were about 12!) and two of the best looking boys in our year almost fighting over me when they had to choose a partner!

Unigran4 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:03:03

Not so nice, this one! As an early teen I was walking home when a young lad cycled by and called out "Hello, dreamboat!" I, unwisely, acknowledged this ego booster, and he shouted back "Not you, shipwreck!". Deflated or what!

Unigran4 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:04:09

It wasn't nice, but I do remember it!

Nanna58 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:12:08

When I retired from teaching former pupils had written letters to go in my card, and the best compliment I’ve ever had was written in one . It said ‘ we loved you because you loved us’ still makes me weep to read....

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 17:16:13

Nanna58

When I retired from teaching former pupils had written letters to go in my card, and the best compliment I’ve ever had was written in one . It said ‘ we loved you because you loved us’ still makes me weep to read....

One of my a level students wrote “yours was the one lesson I actively looked forward to “
but I wasn’t that young then so I guess that’s off topic,

trisher Wed 28-Jul-21 18:00:49

Someone once told me I had Art Nouveau eyes. I thought that was pretty wonderful.

blubber Wed 28-Jul-21 18:06:39

I was once told I would never be pretty but with some work I could be made attractive. I was 13 at the time and have spent my whole life believing I am ugly.

blubber Wed 28-Jul-21 18:10:51

I should have added I have recently been contacted by someone I knew in my teens and he told me I was the girl of his dreams but was too shy to say anything.

Smiffy58 Wed 28-Jul-21 18:34:29

I got a nice compliment yesterday. I swim most mornings, and as the timetable has changed due to the summer hols, I went later than usual. A chap I used to see regularly, but not for months, complimented me on my weight loss and looking trim, what did I weigh, he asked, 7 stone!?. Not. I would have objected but he is 90 in a few months!

Caro57 Wed 28-Jul-21 18:43:43

Many years ago I did a course on something to do with health and wellbeing. At the end we were each given two luggage labels and asked to write something positive on them about two people in the group. They remained anonymous but I still carry mine in my suitcase as morale boosters

Kim19 Wed 28-Jul-21 18:50:04

My MiL wasn't wild about me. (Can't understand that!). One day when I was visiting her in hospital she said 'I was wrong about you. You're really good for (husband). I DO know how difficult it was for her to say that and she certainly didn't have to. Never forgotten it.

Smurf52 Wed 28-Jul-21 21:44:11

I've just come out of hospital after an operation on my fractured ankle and felt flattered when the patient in the next bed told me that when I talked I came across as refined!

Tickledpink Wed 28-Jul-21 21:54:52

I recall being told at 16 that I was being considered for a pop group. It never happened but I remember how excited I felt at the time.

Humbertbear Thu 29-Jul-21 08:36:51

I distinctly remember someone telling my husband that I ‘was hot’. Back in the late 60s it was taken as a compliment. My husband has rarely paid me any compliments. If he does, then I know it is genuine and I am looking really good.