Gransnet forums

Chat

Blamers

(103 Posts)
Newatthis Tue 27-Jul-21 12:20:49

Do you know anyone or are there members of your family who will never take responsibility for their actions but blame everyone else? I have a sister who has blamed everyone for her actions, it's always their fault, never hers.

Cossy Wed 28-Jul-21 10:56:58

Yep My husband - how or why we are still together is a mystery !

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 28-Jul-21 10:57:19

In our 51 years of marriage my DH has rarely accepted that it was his fault!! He's now wary of blaming me because he knows I will yell at him - there is only so much blame a buddy can take!!

KateCan2015 Wed 28-Jul-21 10:58:05

I have a Grandson of 7 and Granddaughter 10 coming to stay for the first time in 6 years (long story). I'm very excited and would like to make their visit very memorable.
I would like to leave something on their beds to welcome them. Any ideas?

KateCan2015 Wed 28-Jul-21 10:58:56

Sorry my first time and I've posted this in the wrong place!! ?

Nannashirlz Wed 28-Jul-21 11:00:34

Yeah my mother she turned all her side of family against me for something she did. I walked away from them all her side of family 25 years ago.

Dartmoorgal Wed 28-Jul-21 11:03:38

My middle daughter scratched, ' Holly did this she is nauty' in the bannister when she was 5. Holly is her older sister ???

KnittyNannie Wed 28-Jul-21 11:07:17

Oh, yes. I believe it’s a narcissistic trait - always blaming someone else, especially when things go wrong for them.

SueSocks Wed 28-Jul-21 11:08:05

My sister and her daughter, also very good at projecting a kind and caring image, all done for their own self-gain. They are no longer part of my life and I feel much better for it.

Kandinsky Wed 28-Jul-21 11:08:30

We all know people like this, but sometimes things can go very wrong for people through no fault of their own.
Read ‘an inspector calls’

Hetty58 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:09:25

My sister is a prize blamer. She also manages to take no responsibility whatsoever for her criticisms, suggestions and arguments - by always attributing them to somebody else. It's her daughter or husband who thinks it's all wrong - apparently!

BelindaB Wed 28-Jul-21 11:16:08

My 2nd son is the worst - and I've recently cut off all contact. It's sad, but I'm too old to put up with it any longer.

I have had his daughter living with me for the past 11-12 months because of his violence - she is now 20, not a child to be slapped about (not that that is ever right!) but his only comment when they met for the first time since she left was that it was all her fault.....

Hetty58 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:16:11

And - (yes, Maria59) the rewriting of history, the denial that certain events even happened!

kathsue Wed 28-Jul-21 11:17:03

My late husband. Everything was always someone else's fault including his COPD....nothing to do with his years of smoking and drinking sad

icanhandthemback Wed 28-Jul-21 11:18:39

grannybuy, do you roll your eyes like I do with my BPD daughter? Not to her face because life wouldn't be worth living if I did! I listen to her tales of woe and try to word where she might make things better next time but there are a thousand reasons why she couldn't/wouldn't do that, all completely outside of her control. I always say that she is a chip off the old block that skipped a generation because I am more than happy to take responsibility for my actions. I think I am more likely to take more responsibility than I need to if I think that it will get things back on track quickly and unpleasantness can be averted.

coastalgran Wed 28-Jul-21 11:23:04

Oh yea, lots of people I have come across want to blame everyone else. I have never really understood why this is, if you have made a mistake own up and sort it out. I mean a great big bolt of lightning is not going to come and strike you down. It seems to be getting worse this blame culture that we have.

Aepgirl Wed 28-Jul-21 11:25:16

My daughter had a really good friend in her teens. Sadly, her parents divorced which affected her badly and she eventually had counselling to help her through this time. However, this totally changed her as her counsellor convinced her, quite rightly, that her parents’ divorce was not her fault, but that whatever else went wrong in her life was also no fault of hers. Eventually she lost most of her friends as ‘they were always wrong’ and just couldn’t cope with her.

Nanatoone Wed 28-Jul-21 11:30:45

Yes, here too. I recently had an incoherent message from my 55 year old brother blaming my blameless sister, who was looking after his granddaughter, for the fact that the little girls dad had gone out (hence staying at my sister's house with her cousin) and had seen the dad out apparently taking coke. The truth of this is unknown but the little girl was safe and well at my sister's house. My brother is an acholic, drug taker himself and has been an appalling parent to his children. He has now blocked me for questioning his rant. You know what? I feel great, freed from his lunacy at long last. No longer my problem. He could never recognise his own faults.

creativz Wed 28-Jul-21 11:34:08

I no longer associate with such people, don’t have the energy or the inclination !

GagaJo Wed 28-Jul-21 11:34:18

My daughter. She's still blaming me for her failings and she's 35. I've pointed out that at some point she'll have to take responsibility and I think she knows that really, although won't admit it.

I also don't feel guilty anymore. I used to, but now I think, 'Oh get a grip.'

Silverlife Wed 28-Jul-21 11:39:53

My sister too...exactly the same ?

GrammarGrandma Wed 28-Jul-21 11:44:06

No and I'm so sorry that so many of you have them.

Foxglove77 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:45:21

A colleague I worked with was on my team and incredibly lazy. When I covered her work when she was away there was loads of unanswered correspondence, which I worked hard on and caught up with.

When I went away, I came back and she said mine was all up to date. In fact she'd filed it all away without looking at it. I had complaints about my lack of response!

She was one of those people who had an answer for everything and solution to nothing. I'm glad I've moved on.

PennyHalfpenny Wed 28-Jul-21 11:47:03

My parents. We no longer speak.

felice Wed 28-Jul-21 11:49:27

My Mother, she even blamed me for her younger Brothers death, in 1944 on the beaches in France.
When I pointed out I was not even born then she said 'of course it was you, you did it to spite me'.

Alioop Wed 28-Jul-21 11:49:49

Like bizzlemy ex husband. Also a friend who has kindly helped to renovate my house, but if he makes a hash of something it's always someone else's fault. It drives me bonkers.