Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember aunties and uncles giving out pocket money

(79 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 29-Jul-21 08:03:56

After my family gathering at the weekend the dear gsnds came away very wealthy no more pennies like I got when I was wee given out on their leaving, just paper money, lucky them, the bank doesn’t have a look in. Still it was for their holiday spending money and they’re so loved and rarely seen these days.

CafeAuLait Thu 29-Jul-21 08:13:10

I never knew any of my many uncles and aunts, so no. But I heard that friends had this experience. Your gc are very lucky and this will be a nice memory for them.

Eviebeanz Thu 29-Jul-21 08:24:24

I can remember as a child seeing my great aunt and being given some money (a coin) each time. To her it was a lot of money but in real terms it would not have bought very much at the time, but we always said thank you in a way that I'm not quite sure my own grandchildren would now.

TillyTrotter Thu 29-Jul-21 08:26:23

I always remember an auntie who sent a ten shilling note in my Birthday card and Christmas card every year until I was 13.
My mum taught me to write a thank you letter, which I did each time, telling her how I was going to spend the money.
It was so kind of her; she was a widow without children.
Fond memories.

Gingster Thu 29-Jul-21 08:27:39

Yes I remember going round to kiss all the aunties, uncles. grandparents on leaving a family gathering. They all got out their purses or dug into their pockets to give me change . I never looked at how much they gave me until I got home. I felt so rich although it probably only came to a pound or two.
Doesn’t seem to be the thing there’s days.

TwoWolves Thu 29-Jul-21 08:30:31

Oh, yes, it was lovely.

CafeAuLait Thu 29-Jul-21 08:32:12

I think these days less people carry cash and children's concept of money is changed by all the automated transactions. Money is mostly non-tangible now.

Humbertbear Thu 29-Jul-21 08:34:10

I had an uncle who used to give me half a crown and hair ribbons. I Still remember him although he died when I was a little girl.
I used to give my GC pocket money (£1) every week when they left my house. At the start of lockdown one of them phoned to ask if they would still receive the money so I set up monthly standing orders. They like the idea that the money accumulates over time. I think I’m going to have to up the money though.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 29-Jul-21 08:42:57

This brings back happy memories. An uncle who sent me a cheque for one guinea at Christmas, the grownup-ness of a cheque was wonderful and the money was riches beyond belief to me in the 1950s! And my dear Godmother, Auntie May, who couldn’t have children as she was diabetic (from which she sadly died far too young) one Christmas gave me a little pinny, which she had probably made herself, with a hankie in the pocket and inside the hankie was half a crown! I must have been about three at the time but that carefully thought out present, the love that went into it and the sheer wonder of the discovery in the pocket stay with me to this day. I always had to write my thank you letters, and brought my son up to do the same, but it’s something children nowadays seem not to do unfortunately. Another ‘Auntie’, actually simply a neighbour, always gave me a 6d bar of Cadbury’s Dairy Milk if I popped in to see her on my way home from Church!

seacliff Thu 29-Jul-21 08:43:49

I remember my Uncle Ern giving me half a crown, in the early 60s. I still remember how delighted and surprised I was. I felt so rich.

timetogo2016 Thu 29-Jul-21 08:55:25

I remember when we visited relatives they would give me and my sister some pennies,how much i don`t remember.
I give my grandchildren pocket money every month,have done since the day they were born,it stops when they reach the age of 18.

25Avalon Thu 29-Jul-21 08:58:40

I remember parent’s friends they’d made during the war visiting for the day, sometimes just turning up out of the blue, would often give me two Bob or half a crown which was quite a bit before they left.

MissChateline Thu 29-Jul-21 09:01:27

I am an only child of only children parents. No aunts, uncles, cousins or any other relatives. Did have grandparents but as we often lived abroad I rarely saw them. So no extra pocket money for me.

PaperMonster Thu 29-Jul-21 09:04:59

MissChateline both my parents were only children, but we were very close to their cousins who were my aunties and uncles and whose children were my cousins. I used to get coins off various aunts and uncles! My daughter gets spends of her grandparents.

MissChateline Thu 29-Jul-21 09:10:44

I don't actually remember any cousins or either of my parents mentioning anyone. So nothing doing there sadly. Also a huge family split in about 1920 when my mums aunt was murdered (before my mum was born) on Blackpool beach by her lover. He was hanged and it was a national scandal. Parts of the family never spoke again.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 29-Jul-21 09:23:33

The Auntie and Uncle I mentioned were Godparents, my parents’ friends. My Mum was an only child, Dad one of six but I don’t recall his siblings ever giving me anything.

My goodness MissC, what a to-do as they would have said then. I recall something similar being the subject of a tv programme recently, I think one of those where old crimes are looked at to see whether there was a miscarriage of justice. I wonder if it was your great aunt’s murder.

Visgir1 Thu 29-Jul-21 09:24:59

Ohh yes, the odd 6 pence or even a shilling as a little girl vast fortune, given to me from dear Aunties and Uncles. I was lucky I also had grandparents who often gave me 3 or 6 pence for sweets .
But the best was Post Orders in my birthday cards, I remember being excited once as they added up to nearly 2 Pounds, and then going with my Mum to cash them in.
Tradition continued as my parents always gave to mine and my sisters children, even though they were grown up, my mum often slipped them a £10 "for petrol"
What a Happy memory.
Thank you so much for that, especially as my darling Mum passed away 1 year ago today.
Best wishes to you all.

MissChateline Thu 29-Jul-21 09:30:11

I don't think that this famous case has been the subject of a TV investigation though it would make a great drama. I have all of the court proceedings and paper cuttings. There are chapters in books about the defence barrister and a local band has written a lovely song about her.

trisher Thu 29-Jul-21 09:32:33

I was sometimes given money as a child. But my Gran had a pottery pig she kept on a shelf and dropped her change into sometimes. When I visited with my children she would open the pig and tip the money onto the carpet for them to share. It was always small coins, but they spent ages sharing it and were so delighted to have it. They still remember it now.

Baggs Thu 29-Jul-21 09:35:15

Nope.

Baggs Thu 29-Jul-21 09:37:38

Paternal grandparents would give us each half a crown or two shillings (later went up to five shillings) at Christmas and on birthdays.

Redhead56 Thu 29-Jul-21 09:41:13

Some times we got a big box of broken chocolate biscuits from an auntie who worked in a biscuit factory. My uncle used to visit us with a big mixed bag of sweets for us all to share.
These were welcome treats because my mum couldn’t always afford such luxuries. We got a threepenny bit each from our grandma at Christmas.

eazybee Thu 29-Jul-21 09:41:40

I only had one uncle and aunt, and they usually sent me books for birthday and Christmas, which was a great joy. But they did give me money when they visited my grandmother, about twice a year, and I had childless great aunts who used to send me postal orders (remember them) for spending money on holiday and also to buy fireworks for bonfire night.

Franbern Thu 29-Jul-21 09:53:43

Oh yes, I can remember back in the mid-1950's my Mum and Dad taking me out to a Lyons Corner House in Londonds West End. They were celerbrating me having won a place in the eleven plus as a high ranking Grammar School.

Whilst there, they noticed at a nearby table my Dads twin sister and her husband and his older sister. He had been estranged from them for some years. Quick debate between my parents and decision that his fall-out with his sisters should not effect me and I was sent over to say Hello to these 'strangers'.
They were delighted that I had, chatted to me about my new school and I returned to my parents' table with two half a crowns - a small fortune for me! Even better, my Dad then went over to thank them and it healed that family rift.

Juliet27 Thu 29-Jul-21 10:00:43

I just googled that 1920 case MissCh. Amazing.