Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember aunties and uncles giving out pocket money

(80 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 29-Jul-21 08:03:56

After my family gathering at the weekend the dear gsnds came away very wealthy no more pennies like I got when I was wee given out on their leaving, just paper money, lucky them, the bank doesn’t have a look in. Still it was for their holiday spending money and they’re so loved and rarely seen these days.

bikergran Sat 31-Jul-21 21:41:01

So yes I suppose I was a joyrider on the buses aged about 7 hmm

vampirequeen Sun 01-Aug-21 10:37:26

My Auntie Olive and Uncle George always gave me a shiny half crown when we visited them. The other thing exciting thing about visiting them was that they had a 'posh' soda fountain and they made my orange squash with fizzy soda water. It was such a treat.

Luckylegs Sun 01-Aug-21 12:04:07

I always got my Saturday sixpence from mum and dad and odd coins from others in the early 50’s. The one that sticks in my mind was a very old great aunt and uncle visiting and took me to the shop and gave me - a farthing! I think I managed to get a sweet with it!

Elegran Sun 01-Aug-21 12:12:59

No, I don't remember being given pocket money by my relations. All my aunts and uncles had families of their own to keep in spending money, and my grandparents had about twenty grandchildren and were very fair about giving evenly. What I do remember from when I was about 12 was being given a little manicure set in a leather case by my granny, which had been hers. I have it still.