(88 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Fri 30-Jul-21 07:47:13

Text in some of the many languages of the world

Witzend Sun 01-Aug-21 10:22:42

Ailidh

Witzend

Zdrastvuyte droozya moyee!

Sevodnya solntsa nye cvyetit zdyes.

Unfortunately my Russki is too Rusty for me to remember much more than hello my friends, it’s not sunny here today.
And I dare say I haven’t transliterated in the correct manner, assuming there is one.
I really ought to give myself a bit of a refresher course. I still have somewhere the original tattered copy of the Penguin Teach Yourself Russian we were given before the summer hols pre 5th form, and told to learn the first 5 chapters before September.

Otlichno! Russkij yazyk ochen' krasivyj!!

Da, ochen’ krasiviy!
(Eto nye bwilo otlichno, no spasibo anyway!)

BlueBelle Sat 31-Jul-21 21:33:46

rufus you little devil

Ailidh Sat 31-Jul-21 20:55:03

Witzend

Unfortunately my Russki is too Rusty for me to remember much more than hello my friends, it’s not sunny here today.
And I dare say I haven’t transliterated in the correct manner, assuming there is one.
I really ought to give myself a bit of a refresher course. I still have somewhere the original tattered copy of the Penguin Teach Yourself Russian we were given before the summer hols pre 5th form, and told to learn the first 5 chapters before September.

Otlichno! Russkij yazyk ochen' krasivyj!!

Rufus2 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:18:01

I think you should chat to Rufus, EP

BlueBelle No thanks! I don't have the time! hmm
OoRoo

Witzend Sat 31-Jul-21 11:58:53

Ailidh Sat 31-Jul-21 10:09:58

Alegrias1

Tapadh leat Ailidh. Tha Duolingo agam ach rinn mi clasaichean air-loidhne cuideachd - UHI!

That's about the limit for me I'm afraid!

Sgoinneil!! ????????

SueDonim Fri 30-Jul-21 23:30:23

To be strictly accurate, I suppose it ought to go to Scone Palace grounds but that’s not very convenient so Perth is the next best choice. We used to live in Scone. smile

MawBe Fri 30-Jul-21 20:21:56

At least it is in the right country, getting closer perhaps?

In 1996, the stone was officially returned to Scotland. Today, it is one of the priceless treasures on display in the Crown Room, visited by millions of people each year. The stone will only leave Scotland again for a coronation in Westminster Abbey.

The Stone is displayed alongside the Crown Jewels in the Royal Palace on the east side of Crown Square

SueDonim Fri 30-Jul-21 20:03:07

MawBe

^The Stone of Scone (pronounced skoon) left Scotland in shame in the hands of an English conqueror. It returned in triumph to the winsome tunes of bagpipes, though it was guarded closely in a closed Land Rover over the bridge at Coldstream which was where King Edward I carried off the "stone of destiny" in 1296^
15 Nov 1996

And soon to be restored to its rightful homeland in Perth!

MawBe Fri 30-Jul-21 17:48:43

The Stone of Scone (pronounced skoon) left Scotland in shame in the hands of an English conqueror. It returned in triumph to the winsome tunes of bagpipes, though it was guarded closely in a closed Land Rover over the bridge at Coldstream which was where King Edward I carried off the "stone of destiny" in 1296
15 Nov 1996

MerylStreep Fri 30-Jul-21 17:45:31

Has anyone seen the price of eggs in Tesco’s?

MawBe Fri 30-Jul-21 17:45:27

Aldom

I say scone, as in gone. Interestingly The Stone of Scone, as in The Stone of Destiny or as it is known in England, The Coronation Stone is *Scone as in Stone.

No, it’s The Stone of Scoon

BlueBelle Fri 30-Jul-21 17:43:46

EP presuming you are retired what did you do in your working life ? You are obviously very intelligent and quite single minded

Mollygo Fri 30-Jul-21 17:38:07

How you say the number one then?
Anybody count woan, two three?

BlueBelle Fri 30-Jul-21 15:53:47

Scone as in bone there’s a bone in my scone oor-err
Not a bon in my scon there’s an e on the end which changes it and gone should actually be spelt gon

Aldom Fri 30-Jul-21 15:45:17

I say scone, as in gone. Interestingly The Stone of Scone, as in The Stone of Destiny or as it is known in England, The Coronation Stone is *Scone as in Stone.

Callistemon Fri 30-Jul-21 15:20:51

HRU? LTNS, RUOK?
B4 U go afk, hand
CU ltr

MissAdventure Fri 30-Jul-21 14:31:13

Oh I do love a cheese scone (the type that rhymes with gone)
In the isle of wight they served them with cream cheese and tomato chutney.

ElderlyPerson Fri 30-Jul-21 14:17:21

Lucca

I had a dreadful craving for a cheese scone yesterday. I justified giving in to it by walking a mile to buy one. It was delicious , but “it’s gone now “

You bought a scone
Now it's gone
I suppose that you could phone
To er better stop now

MawBe Fri 30-Jul-21 14:17:10

You might also find you have much in common with Michael12

BlueBelle Fri 30-Jul-21 14:16:20

I m whistling ????
I think you should chat to Rufus, EP he’d tell you some jokes in Australian gudday cobbler

ElderlyPerson Fri 30-Jul-21 14:13:14

I thought at first you meant like Sir Humphrey.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQBuz8D_9GM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-s-Y4xA9pk

Note the use of the phrase 'perpendicular pronoun'.

Lucca Fri 30-Jul-21 14:13:01

I had a dreadful craving for a cheese scone yesterday. I justified giving in to it by walking a mile to buy one. It was delicious , but “it’s gone now “

MissAdventure Fri 30-Jul-21 14:10:45

Oh!! Elderly! My predictive text keeps changing words...

MissAdventure Fri 30-Jul-21 14:09:49

The poem isn't me waxing lyrical.
I copied it from Elederly Person's link.
Good though, isnt it? smile