Gransnet forums

Chat

Fractured ankle, anyone else had one?

(37 Posts)
Smurf52 Sat 31-Jul-21 13:35:37

A month ago on holiday I broke my ankle in three places at the age of 69. Taken my dog for a walk before bedtime, I fell down a wet grassy slope and felt my left leg give way under me and heard a crack. I waited 4 hours for an ambulance in the wet and cold lying on the ground, after a fellow holidaymaker heard my cries for help and phoned 999. My partner was watching the Euros so didn't hear my cries.

I was admitted to hospital and had an operation a week after. I also managed to pick up an ecoli bug in my bladder. I was discharged a week later. Have been home a week with carers coming in twice a day. My sister stayed with me during the week and partner (who I don't live with) at the weekends.

My question is has any GN gone through the same thing. If so, how long after op were they able to get around? I've just been using a commode. I have a frame on wheels ready to move around but haven't got the confidence yet. My first fracture clinic 2 weeks after the op is on Monday 2 August.

I feel helpless and miserable right now at the seemingly long stretch ahead of me before I can be independent again. I also feel guilty feeling like this when there are a lot of people worse off than me.

Callistemon Sun 01-Aug-21 16:28:17

so I had daily district nurse visits for blood thinners

Oh yes, I forgot; I had blood thinners too but they were injections which I had to do myself daily.
Now they would probably prescribe them in tablet form.

Fennel Sun 01-Aug-21 17:38:23

I still had the injections in March/April this year. My husband gave them.
A district nurse brought them here - a box of prefilled needles etc. To be returned to the pharmacy when finished.

Rosycheeks Sun 01-Aug-21 18:05:22

I had my ankle fused and couldnt walk on it for 6 weeks it was so depressing and I found the crutches so hard to use but it got better and I walk without a limp now after about 2 years of limping . So I know how hard it is and how down you feel but it will get better.

Smurf52 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:04:12

MayBee70

About 10 years ago I developed arthritis in my knee and it was interesting to read back over that time. It seemed to go on forever but it took 9 months. A visit to a chiropractor ( or osteopath) turned things round for me. You do tend to forget minor details that are actually important. Would it be insensitive of me to ask how you coped with the dog when you were injured? I often worry about something happening to me when I’m out walking mine. My big worry pandemic wise is something happening to both of us and there being no one to look after the dog.

My sister initially looked after Lulu but found it hard to look after me and her! My brother has stepped in and Lulu is now with him. He is quite happy to have her until I'm back on my feet.

MayBee70 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:08:48

That’s good to know. My neighbour has a dog called Lulu and I always think of the way they pronounced Lulu in Absolutely Fabulous ie LooLoooo. I used my time back then to catch up with all the films I’d been meaning to watch on dvd but had never got round to seeing. With my knee being a bit sore at the moment I’m catching up on books albeit being a very slow reader these days.

Smurf52 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:16:41

Thanks again everyone for your uplifting comments and similar experiences.

Callistemon and Fennel - I have the injections but hate doing them myself but hey ho, it's not forever.

Maywalk - you're an inspiration. You certainly have been through it.

Callistemon Wed 04-Aug-21 15:34:32

Smurf52

Thanks again everyone for your uplifting comments and similar experiences.

Callistemon and Fennel - I have the injections but hate doing them myself but hey ho, it's not forever.

Maywalk - you're an inspiration. You certainly have been through it.

I had to position the needle, look away, inject, Smurf!

madcatlady22 Thu 13-Jul-23 17:54:04

I fell and broke my ankle on the 13th April. 14 weeks later I am using crutches and doing the physio exercises but am feeling so down. Will I ever walk unaided again? It still feels like a massive uphill struggle. I've had a couple of falls during this time that have knocked my confidence a bit, and I seem to have some positive days and some very negative, depressing days. Help!

BlueBelle Thu 13-Jul-23 18:21:29

Not me but my friend is in a similar situation she slipped on grass taking her puppy for a walk and broke her foot in 6 places
She had about 3 weeks in hospital and then 2 weeks in a recovery ward in a care facility now been home about a week and like you smurf she is using a commode and got a frame on wheels and is pretty down about it all she still can’t put any weight on it
She has been told she ll be about 6 months before she’s up and running ( well maybe not running) she’s younger than me probably not quite 70 yet
Callistemon I had two ops earlier this year which needed the blood thinning injections in the tummy I wasn’t offered tablets….I didn’t like doing it much never got the hang of not hurting myself

downtoearth Thu 13-Jul-23 19:32:22

Total hip replacement 11 weeks ago.
Injections in tummy for 30 days,was realky bruised,rather that than a blood clot.
No one here but me so had to get on with it,didnt like it but heyho had to be done

Sallywally1 Thu 13-Jul-23 19:34:50

It’s a horrible injury, I broke mine some years ago. It took a couple of months to heal and I bought a cheap wheelchair as I could not manage crutches. The pain will recede and you will learn how to deal with every day activities like dressing yourself! It does get you down, but it will get better! You have my sympathies!