Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(56 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 02-Aug-21 06:06:22

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a clear blue sky at the present time here in brackley , today a quiet day with laundry to do .
Also the start of track cycling at Tokyo , be interesting to see how GB fares on there new bike frames ,as it will be the first time of use in competition
Otherwise ponder about and see how the day involves.
Take Care,
Mick

madeleine45 Mon 02-Aug-21 15:56:35

well cant say good morning as it is definitely afternoon now. However I am now trying to catch up with the day as had to go and get a new tyre done this morning. Having driven here and abroad for more than 54 years it was the first (and hopefully the last!) tyre blow out I have had. Travelling near Kinsey Crags on narrow road with stone walls I came round a corner , fortunately not driving fast, and there were two very large stones or small boulders in the road. Could only manage to avoid one and hit the other with a terrific bang. The tyre went with a hiss and had quite a job to bring the car to a halt safely. The situation was poor as was quite close to the corner behind me and the oncoming traffic had a clear run and was travelling quite fast. Luckily for me a small grey car coming the other way stopped and the two young men lifted the boulders up and got them off the road. Then we worked together the three of us, so Sam changed the wheel , while phil stood at the corner to stop traffic from that way and I went quite a way up and put a fold up chair out in front of my car so that oncoming traffic would see there was a problem and I was waving them down. So we managed to get it all done and I was grateful for their help. I have only changed this car recently and was not totally sure that the spare wheel was safe to drive at speed as these spares that they put in now have to be driven at 35-40 miles an hour. for safeties sake I drove at that speed all the way home. No tyre place open nearby on sunday so hence have had to wait until today . Ankles, wrists and knees rather painful yesterday with all the wrestling about and standing etc and it ended up costing me over £75 for new tyre, but the tyre chap said yes my spare tyre was a good one and I could have driven at a faster speed!!. However I am grateful firstly to be alive, for the kind help of the two young men, and the fact that we managed to avoid any further accidents from the other traffic. I am a widow and live alone and have only moved here 2 months ago so I have rather missed having anyone to talk about this to, so thankyou for letting me write this here. I have lived abroad, driven all over, spent 10 years as a hospital car driver for 3 days a week and so you can see , am an experienced driver and happy to drive anywhere. So I have probably been lucky that this has not happened before. I will be carrying on driving and it wont put me off but it certainly shakes you up a bit at the time. Hopefully I can now have a couple of very ordinary days to make up for this adventure!

Jaxjacky Mon 02-Aug-21 16:22:38

Crumbs madeline, what a shock, coped with admirably, you’re very welcome here.
We tend to start posts with where we are and the weather, you’re excused today! ?

Blossoming Mon 02-Aug-21 16:35:12

Wow Madeleine45 that must have been quite scary! Glad you had some helpers to get you safely on your way.

Grandmajean Mon 02-Aug-21 16:39:44

Just read your post Madeleine - what a shock for you. How lucky you had those two good Samaritans.

brook2704 Mon 02-Aug-21 19:04:57

Oh my goodness madeline what an awful situation but so pleased all was ok in the end and it’s not put you off driving
Take care ?