Gransnet forums

Chat

Cancelled holiday

(21 Posts)
Katie59 Mon 02-Aug-21 18:21:16

We have a trip booked for October, it may well get cancelled, maybe there will be an alternative, maybe not. Covid is going to be with us long term now, we just have to take our opportunities, at home or abroad

maddyone Mon 02-Aug-21 17:18:49

Kamiso
You could carry your life jacket around with you, but I guess you’ll feel reasonably secure once you’re onboard. Enjoy your first cruise.

Kamiso Mon 02-Aug-21 15:28:43

We.’ve just booked our first cruise (unless you count OH’s return from Malaya when he was 4/5).

I hadn’t really considered that I can’t swim! Hopefully it won’t be a problem and OH will keep me afloat if the worst happens??‍✈️?‍♀️??‍♂️?

I’ll just have to walk around with my rubber ring on, to be on the safe side.

Soroptimum Mon 02-Aug-21 15:21:54

Five cruises cancelled so far……… Should have been on Queen Mary to Canada and back for my special birthday in October, instead we’re (fingers crossed) sailing up and down the Irish Sea. Bit of a contrast!

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 15:11:34

I am very uncomfortable on lilo, small boats, terrified on rowing boats, but perfectly comfortable on cruise ships, and you will too, I promise!

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 15:05:09

GrannyGravy13

MawBe

I’d have been sorry not to have them with you, but I would have gone!

You are probably right.

Full declaration, I am petrified of being on water cannot even get on a li-lo. DH and friends finally persuaded me to go on this cruise. I agreed with the proviso that as it was U.K. if I really couldn’t cope I was able to jump ship and catch a train home.

Wouldn’t have been very fair to abandon DH on his own.

Will definitely re-book I am looking into hypnotherapy to help with my fear.

A good friend did one of those Baltic/Northern Lights cruises a few years ago- then easily into her 70’s.
She hated it so much she jumped ship with only hand luggage without telling anybody, (somewhere like Bergen) and flew home. Emailed the cruise line to forward her luggage!

maddyone Mon 02-Aug-21 14:55:10

At the moment I wouldn’t go on a cruise, although I love them, because of the number of people on the ship. However GrannyGravy by the time you do go on your cruise, it should all be a bit more settled. And as someone else said, being on a huge ship is nothing like a small boat. I hate small boats, I feel very insecure on them, but a cruise ship is stable and most the time you don’t even feel as if you’re on the water.

As for cancelled holidays, I’m crossing my fingers that it will be okay to go to Zakinthos in September.

nanna8 Mon 02-Aug-21 14:43:58

BlueSky

nanna8 I’m waiting to come over but god only knows when that’ll be. I was hopeful but sadly it’s not to be for the foreseeable future. Say hello to Oz for me. sad

Will do! They are saying that next year they will open everything up because most will have had their vaccinations. Don’t hold your breath though, heard it before.

nanna8 Mon 02-Aug-21 14:41:23

Similar to you BlueSapphire including the Kimberleys and El Questro and a few days in Broome at the end. We will rebook next year but you know what they are like here re Covid. We only have less than a dozen cases in Melbourne but they lock borders at the drop of a hat. NSWales and Qland are locked down, we are free for the next 5 minutes. They cancelledit, not us . I don’t think they are into pinging here. They haven’t thought of it yet (sshhh !). We have been to Lichfield and Darwin before but not for about 10 years.

BlueSapphire Mon 02-Aug-21 14:33:41

nanna8, what a pity you are missing out on the Northern Territory. We spent over two years living in Darwin 1989/91, and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it was so hot all year round. Our two DC went to primary school and loved it. I think they would have stayed there!

Where were you planning on visiting? We went to all the usual must-see places - Kakadu, Katherine Gorge, Litchfield Park, the Adelaide River for the leaping crocs, the Crocodile Farm.

We also had a sailing holiday in the Whitsunday Islands, and managed to get down to Adelaide for a family wedding, where my DH was best man.

Hope you'll be able to travel again soon.

Lincslass Mon 02-Aug-21 10:51:00

GrannyGravy13

MawBe

You are probably right.

Full declaration, I am petrified of being on water cannot even get on a li-lo. DH and friends finally persuaded me to go on this cruise. I agreed with the proviso that as it was U.K. if I really couldn’t cope I was able to jump ship and catch a train home.

That’s a shame, but can empathise, mine was fear of flying, until an offer from my brother in Africa, led me onto a plane, on my own, off I went, can’t stop me now, well Covid did obviously. Going on a large ship, is much more stable than a small yacht, and don’t really feel much movement, hope you can overcome your fear, and be able to sail and enjoy.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:45:30

MawBe

You are probably right.

B9exchange Mon 02-Aug-21 10:40:54

Too late now GG13 but you would have loved it! Be brave and book again!

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 10:37:47

GrannyGravy13 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:36:01

Kali2

GG13, why didn't just go on your own?

The only reason we booked was to go with our friends, we are cruise virgins .

Kali2 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:30:41

GG13, why didn't just go on your own?

BlueSky Mon 02-Aug-21 10:22:49

nanna8 I’m waiting to come over but god only knows when that’ll be. I was hopeful but sadly it’s not to be for the foreseeable future. Say hello to Oz for me. sad

Namsnanny Mon 02-Aug-21 10:22:46

Not recently.
We had a cruise booked for the end of this year, but the company went bankrupt.
We were compensated in full.
But have thought better of it since.

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 10:20:23

Sympathy, but why did you cancel, or were you “pinged” ?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:18:05

We should be going on a cruise round the British Isles starting Saturday (our first cruise) unfortunately our friends who we were going with have both tested positive (no symptoms, double vaccinated) so we have cancelled.

No money back, just cruise credits valid for 15 months. The trouble is these big cruise ships could be anywhere in the world by then which would mean flying out to departure port angry

nanna8 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:53:04

Just had our long awaited holiday to the Northern Territory cancelled by the travel people. So disappointed . We booked at the end of last year, thinking the Covid thing would be under control. Anyone else had this happen ?