Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet Day of Direct Action! ✊

(203 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 09:21:14

Hello all!

Further to the rather pointless ‘Hello from GNHQ’ thread, in which we suggested and asked for several things, but nothing was actually addressed.

One particular concern was Iam64’s continuing inability to post.

I wondered aloud on the aforementioned thread whether we should have a ‘Day of Direct Action’, and all email the management about this
([email protected])

What do you all think?
Any ideas, suggestions, anything?
Thank you smile

Grannynannywanny Tue 07-Sep-21 00:02:11

I’m not in the least bit tech savvy so please ignore me if I’m talking crap. But would it be possible for iam64 to set up another email address, if she doesn’t already have one, then sign in as an entirely new poster? Then slightly modify her username so she is recognisable.

Doodledog Mon 06-Sep-21 23:27:07

I have no reason to assume that Ian couldn’t do it herself! I was just saying that if necessary I could help, but not with the last bit, meaning that I am not - oh never mind.

lemsip Mon 06-Sep-21 22:22:54

doesn't she have any family to help her

Doodledog Mon 06-Sep-21 22:13:28

I can talk her through the first three of those if necessary, but I have no clue about how to do the last one?

Katek Mon 06-Sep-21 22:05:38

Can someone in touch with iam64 suggest that she tries the following if possible.

Check that JavaScript is enabled
Run anti malware scan
Shut down antivirus software and try to login
Try logging in using GN IP address instead of site address

Marydoll Mon 06-Sep-21 20:32:45

Another obvious one. Changing to a different browser from her preferred one? Clutching at straws here!

Doodledog Mon 06-Sep-21 20:24:47

I assume so. I know she has done the usual things such as clear the cache etc, and apparently HQ has been in regular touch with her, so I'm guessing they will have asked about her OS.

Her only issues are with this site, which is a problem way beyond anything I can think of.

trisher Mon 06-Sep-21 19:15:09

Has Iam64 checked she s using the most upto date version of whatever she uses to log on toGN. I know there can be problems particularly with Safari if you haven't done this.

Silverbridge Mon 06-Sep-21 18:33:34

Marydoll

There is something else to do at the back of my mind. I will have a think, but have brain fog today, unfortunately.

I don't know the history of this problem for Iam64 but if she can't log into the site then the issue could be one of:

Enabling cookies for the website
Clearing history for the site
Clearing all cookies and the cache
Checking add-ons
Removing corrupt cookies file

Apologies if you have been down this route before. Maybe someone could give a brief synopsis of the problem.

Marydoll Mon 06-Sep-21 18:22:10

There is something else to do at the back of my mind. I will have a think, but have brain fog today, unfortunately.

Doodledog Mon 06-Sep-21 18:12:47

Marydoll

Just a suggestion and I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs. Another poster couldn't post for ages and this worked. Deleting, your cache often resolves the issue. Delete all cookies and downloads and try then. I couldn't log into my bank account, because the previous info had been stored, but this solution worked for me. .

I understand that Iam has done all of that, but it didn't work.

nadateturbe Mon 06-Sep-21 18:10:20

Oldwoman70

trisher online bullying is not harmless - there have been many reports of people committing suicide because of it. I'm not saying the bullying on GN is that bad (and yes there is bullying on GN) but when posting a nasty comment no-one knows what the person it is aimed at is going through.

I agree. Bullying is potentially harmful and unacceptable.

Smileless2012 Mon 06-Sep-21 18:03:14

Excellent post @ 16.10 Alegrias.

I was stalked and bullied for months trisher to the extent that parts of posts I'd made years ago were being re posted, out of context in an attempt to portray me as a bad mother and a prolific liar.

All of a sudden 'new' posters were suddenly appearing and jumping on the bullying band wagon. When the offenders were eventually banned, they disappeared too.

Easy to say that such things are merely people getting carried away when you're not on the receiving end. Bullies are cowards and hunt in packs, as was the case with the ones who were bullying me.

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Sep-21 17:54:06

Perhaps GNHQ, it might be a good idea in future to not ask us what we want from the site.
It’s clear that there is little intention or capability to implement change.
Probably best just to leave us to it.
However, please continue to do everything that you can to get Iam64 back on, and others who may be in the same situation. Thank you

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Sep-21 17:39:49

To clarify:
This thread was started because of Iam64’s problem of being unable to post. This is explained in the opening post.

My idea was that as many people as possible send a brief email to the management addressing Iam’s issue.

It’s worth bearing in mind that there may be many, many others in Iam64s position, but of course, there’s no way of knowing.

Then a poster asked if we could mention another poster in our emails to HQ.
I actually agreed with this poster’s sentiments, but, of course, it’s not up to me either way on what anyone says or doesn’t say to anyone.

I did say upthread that I didn’t want to claim ‘ownership’ of the thread.
However, I am really sorry for all the bother that that this thread has caused.
I should have been aware that it would open a can of worms.
I apologise wholeheartedly to anyone who has been upset by it.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 17:34:58

Deleting your cache

Is that History, Marydoll?

Marydoll Mon 06-Sep-21 17:33:20

Just a suggestion and I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs. Another poster couldn't post for ages and this worked. Deleting, your cache often resolves the issue. Delete all cookies and downloads and try then. I couldn't log into my bank account, because the previous info had been stored, but this solution worked for me. .

trisher Mon 06-Sep-21 17:21:45

Callistemon

I think perhaps nasty pms should be reported - that is underhand.

Anyway, I don't understand why Iam64 can post on Mumsnet, as someone said up thread, but not on here.

I suspect neither do the moderators. I doubt if they are IT experts.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 17:12:17

I think perhaps nasty pms should be reported - that is underhand.

Anyway, I don't understand why Iam64 can post on Mumsnet, as someone said up thread, but not on here.

Kamiso Mon 06-Sep-21 17:11:24

I had a marriage proposal but can’t remember if it was on GN. I was going to respond flippantly but knew not to engage!

After the crazy day today I might have taken him/her up on the offer!

Jaxjacky Mon 06-Sep-21 17:04:59

Callistemon I agrée, just ignore, as I would walk away in real life. As for GN being dull and uninteresting, I suppose it depends on what each person’s expectation is and how ‘big’ GN is in their life.

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Sep-21 17:04:46

There's also a report button on every Private Message - we take an extremely dim view of people sending abusive PMs and will step in to moderate when they're reported. So again, if you're concerned then report, we'll always take a look.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 16:56:35

Why would anyone send a nasty pm?

Say it on the thread if something upsets you
Or just ignore

BlueBelle Mon 06-Sep-21 16:54:55

This really really surprises me I must be very ignorant because never in a thousand years did I think anyone on here would be so gutless as to send nasty p ms
Say it on the thread if something upsets you have a spine and say it out loud
I can’t see this thread achieving anything at all The moderator is just saying the same ole same old to quieten the old biddies down

JaneJudge Mon 06-Sep-21 16:39:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.