Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet Day of Direct Action! ✊

(203 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 09:21:14

Hello all!

Further to the rather pointless ‘Hello from GNHQ’ thread, in which we suggested and asked for several things, but nothing was actually addressed.

One particular concern was Iam64’s continuing inability to post.

I wondered aloud on the aforementioned thread whether we should have a ‘Day of Direct Action’, and all email the management about this
([email protected])

What do you all think?
Any ideas, suggestions, anything?
Thank you smile

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Sep-21 10:15:17

That’s an excellent point about staff JackyB

BlueBelle Mon 06-Sep-21 10:23:50

Mines gone

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Sep-21 10:30:57

I have sent my message mainly concentrating on the banned posters and those who have the threat of a ban hanging over them. I was very pleasant and polite.

Megs36 Mon 06-Sep-21 10:32:15

I really, like many others, don’t understand’banning, many months ago I got told off by HQ along with Rufus but not banned. There seems to be several regular posters missing now, isMarydoll one who no longer posts or who has been banned. There are quite a few over the last couple of years who seem to be gone . Help , I’m confused.

Doodle Mon 06-Sep-21 10:38:29

Megs Marydoll hasn’t been banned she just chose to stop posting sadly.

Doodle Mon 06-Sep-21 10:40:14

I didn’t know about Iam troubles or about EV but will support both plus the lifetime ban and norty step situation of other posters, that charleygirl of all people should have that threat hanging over her is ridiculous.

Doodledog Mon 06-Sep-21 10:52:17

I haven't seen JaneAinsworth post for some time. Has anyone heard from her?

Silverbridge Mon 06-Sep-21 10:54:18

Accounts for Mumsnet and Gransnet:

find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03951486/filing-history

find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07608553/filing-history

It’s clear that GN is a tiny offshoot of MN and only exists because of loans from the latter to the former. In 2019, MN employed 95 staff, GN employed five. In 2020 MN employed 65 staff, GN employed four.

My guess is that the majority of MN/GN staff are either advertising sales professionals tasked with generating revenue for the group or people who write the site content which embeds the advertising for those companies.

With only four staff in post at 31 Dcember 2020, it’s probably that little in the way of staff resources can be put into maintaining the discussion forum.

It would be interesting to know just how many regular visitors GN has and how many of those use the forum on a regular basis - in other words, how important or unimportant the discussion forum is for the majority of visitors. The MN accounts show the Google Analytics Stats but the filleted GN accounts do not.

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Sep-21 11:03:56

Silverbridge that explains why posters are banned when another poster reports them. They do not have enough staff to look into it.
Maybe they could second a few over here from MN.

Silverbridge Mon 06-Sep-21 11:18:56

I don't know dragonfly46 and I havent been around long enough to know the history of what has happened with individual members. I'm just pointing out that the GN is a tiny part of a larger group that has had to cut back substantially on staff numbers for both platforms.

mamaa Mon 06-Sep-21 11:23:59

Thats mine just sent

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Sep-21 11:47:09

Doodledog

Hi. She still posts occasionally.
I miss her posts too. Jane is very interesting; one of my favourites

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Sep-21 11:49:12

Interesting stuff Silverbridge
I think that GN remains active because it ‘looks good’ for Mumsnet.
I think that GN is a charity case really

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Sep-21 11:51:48

I don’t think that there are any stand alone staff at GN anymore. I think that MN staff oversee it.
When I joined less than a year ago, the daughter of the founder of GN was at the helm (can’t remember names, I know that you will). But she hasn’t been around for month and months.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 12:01:49

Doodledog

JaneAinsworth posts very rarely now, but I haven't seen her post for quite a while.
Likewise Elegran, another informative and sensible poster.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 12:02:33

Perhaps people post and their post doesn't appear - like mine just didn't.

MerylStreep Mon 06-Sep-21 12:02:35

HQ don’t monitor all the posts. There are certain words that will flag up an alert. People are banned through other posters reporting a post/post’s.

We had an incident some years ago where a few posters decided to gang up on another poster ( through pms)
The only problem was, they linked in the poster that they wanted to malign. Whoops.

Grandmajean Mon 06-Sep-21 12:02:52

Have sent my message and had a reply from "Michael"

They will be busy today !!

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 12:03:16

Oh, there it is, a minute later
confused

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Sep-21 12:17:37

Hi all, and thanks to those who have emailed with your thoughts and concerns. We're going through them at the mo and will reply as soon as possible.

As a general point - we don't ban users lightly, and we certainly don't ban based solely on the number of reports.

If you're concerned that a post or poster is breaking GN guidelines then please do report. We'll read the report, check if any guidelines have been broken and moderate accordingly.

We can't really talk about individual users - but in general, if your posts have been reported and are worthy of deletion for breaking guidelines then usually we'll be in touch to let you know. It's likely that we give a number of warnings and then move to a week's suspension if posts continue to break guidelines. If guideline breaking continues after a suspension, then we'll consider closing an account.

We think this is fair - we get in touch if there are a number of deletions, posters then have the chance to post within guidelines and if they're unable or choose not to, then we may have to take action against their accounts.

Re. problems with accessing Gransnet. We're in touch directly with Iam64 and are trying to resolve the technical issues.

Thanks for bearing with us,
GNHQ

Marydoll Mon 06-Sep-21 12:19:14

Megs, Just to let you know I HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED!!!.
Inaccurate posts like yours are what add fuel to the fire. I am fuming! ?

I have been subjected to a smear campaign, which I have reported to GNHQ.
I believe that I have been maligned in PMS by a number of posters. That's the clever way to do it.
I have done absolutely nothing wrong and thought that if I didn't post, they would leave me alone! How wrong I was.

This thread should not be derailed by posting about others, myself included, but I cannot let this go any longer, without fighting back. GN at it's worst.

I thought the thread was started to pressure GNHQ to help, Iam64, a much respected poster, please let it stay this way..

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Sep-21 12:24:10

Mary I rather think the time has come for you to name and shame the posters who have been doing this. I know the majority will support you.

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Sep-21 12:30:37

Hi again - apologies but we may have to take this thread down if it continues to be a thread about a thread and also discusses the individual accounts of other Gransnetters.

Please report any concerns about posts or posters and we'll take a look.

Shinamae Mon 06-Sep-21 12:32:24

Mary, I think you should screenshot the messages,if you still have them and post them on here to shame the people who have hounded you….And I am pretty sure you would get a lot of support from fellow gransnet members….????

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Sep-21 12:34:48

Michael as you are listening - I cannot see any reason for cancelling an account unless it was absolutely necessary. We are all adults here and do not like being treated like children. Please reconsider and review the posts you thought deemed a complete ban.