Gransnet forums

Chat

Parking

(114 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 13-Sep-21 15:01:03

I know parking has been done time and again, but I’ve just been reprimanded by a couple, for parking in the road outside their house while my DH is at the docs.
I’m not blocking access, their car is on the drive and they have a stretch of garden and a wall and pavement between us, but they, “Don’t want to look out of the window and see my car!”
I smiled, apologised and explained why I was there and that I’d be gone soon, but I might be glad I couldn’t hear what they went off muttering to each other.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 14-Sep-21 13:06:30

Tanjamaltija

@Esspee you will find out that you do not really own up to the middle of the road, if you try to extend your front garden, or build on the stretch of road from the pavement to the centre...

I once lived in a house on an unadopted road where the homeowners owned the road in front if their property up to the middle. We were also responsible for maintenance if said road but could not extend our garden or build on it as it would block the thoroughfare. You can’t build in your own garden without permission either, so no difference really.

Blossoming Tue 14-Sep-21 13:04:17

Mollygo next time you need to park there pomp your horn when you arrive and give them a cheery wave.

HurdyGurdy Tue 14-Sep-21 13:03:55

End of our drive.

Not our car.

The "joys" of living near a lower school.

I know we don't own the road outside our house, but it would be nice to be able to actually use our drive.

It's not as though this was an isolated incident, either

Janetashbolt Tue 14-Sep-21 12:57:33

I live on a huge ex-council estate, loads of signs saying no parking 7.5 tons or over. Often called the council and had them ticketed/removed, never do it again.

Soroptimum Tue 14-Sep-21 12:54:57

Wheniwasyourage

*Soroptimum*, have you considered the attractions of gooseberry bushes at the road side of your garden carefully planted with nettles to discourage the badly behaved people who walk across your garden?

Well there’s an idea grin

Wheniwasyourage Tue 14-Sep-21 12:46:05

Soroptimum, have you considered the attractions of gooseberry bushes at the road side of your garden carefully planted with nettles to discourage the badly behaved people who walk across your garden?

Taylor2016 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:45:54

I live in a CPZ street.....
some neighbours only want to park outside their house leaving gap's between car's that are not big enough for other residents to park. It is selfish & inconsiderate as we all pay to park in the designated area! Yes we've tried to address the issue..... No joy.... Reason? They've lived here longer!

4allweknow Tue 14-Sep-21 12:45:47

Unless it is a private road then the roadway is fair game, observing restrictions etc. See that Scotland has introduced a no parking on pavement law to be applied by L.As. One and a half mtrs must be left free for pedestrians, wheelchair users, prams.

OldHag Tue 14-Sep-21 12:42:54

Fronkydonky I think in your circumstances I'd be tempted to check the Deeds for my house to see if parking of caravans in your road is allowed. In a lot of locations, it is specified in the Deeds that Caravans and trade vehicles are not allowed to be parked on the property. Would love to see your delightful neighbours face if you told him his caravan was parked against the rules, and you were going to make a complaint! lol

Also for the PP who mentioned about coaches being parked on a bend making it difficult to see to overtake, I would be inclined to ring the coach company and make a complaint, as coach companies don't usually like their drivers to park anywhere which could cause them bad publicity through complaints.

Sarnia Tue 14-Sep-21 12:41:20

As they don't own the road outside their property there is nothing they can do. I would make it my mission to park in that place every time you visited the GP. grin

Susiewakie Tue 14-Sep-21 12:40:47

We live in a cul de sac and the road is narrow .Unfortunately people park all over and I have real trouble getting out of the drive they all have a drive but many have grown up kids with cars too so can only get 2 on the front ! I'm fretting now about being on time to pick up grandkids as pouring rain today

Nell8 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:39:38

Gabrielle56gringringrin

Lin663 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:38:59

I would have told them that it’s a public highway, you pay your road tax and are entitled to park there and that if they don’t like the look of your car, don’t look out of the window! I certainly would not have taken the time to explain the purpose of my journey. What a cheeky pair!

MaggsMcG Tue 14-Sep-21 12:37:54

It's a countrywide problem. There's just too many cars in each household. I live in a Controlled Parking Zone but they are all small terraced houses and each one isn't really wide enough for one car yet most of them have two and some have a commercial or company van too.

allule Tue 14-Sep-21 12:37:40

I think the rule is that you can’t park by a dropped kerb, but otherwise it’s public road.
The other cause for dispute is parking partly on the pavement.
I can see this is not acceptable, because of buggies and wheelchairs, but new residential roads are so narrow, that it seems important to leave room for emergency vehicles. I think this is prosecuted, but onlyif someone complains.

Eve22 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:37:15

Whilst parking outside someone’s house is irritating to some, it is legal - as long as there are no road restrictions or the car isn’t parked on a bend or obstructing the flow of traffic on a busy road - so neither the police or local authorities will get involved unless the car is parked over any part of the dropped kerb. Nor will they get involved if a stranger were to park their vehicle on a driveway.
This is a loophole in the law and considered a civil matter, not a criminal matter as the car is on private land. I know which I’d prefer!

Rosie51 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:33:16

I imagine some of these territorial whingers are the same people that leave notes on the windscreens of ambulances complaining about them being parked outside their house or in a residents only bay.

For those saying they own the pavement and road outside their house, do you pay for the upkeep and repairs? My son's unadopted access road is maintained entirely at the resident's expense, hence its poor state smile

Do some people really never park outside the house of someone unknown to them, or have visitors that park outside a neighbour's house?

Alis52 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:32:38

If you’re parking on the public highway then they have no right to complain. If they really don’t want to see other people’s cars legally parked outside their home then their only solution is to erect a large fence at their boundary.

SueLindsey Tue 14-Sep-21 12:32:32

This reminded me of incident in the past. I had some middle aged neighbours with a grown up son so there were two cars. Because my husband and I didn't own a car we never complained that one of their cars was parked outside our house. However one evening friends arrived in their car and parked it outside our house. Half an hour later the neighbours came round screaming and banging on our door because our friends had parked in "their" spot!

Gabrielle56 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:26:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

clair1966 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:25:11

I just laugh at them and tell them to jog on, life's to short to converse with arseholes.

Keeper1 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:21:35

Are the large commercial vehicles HGV that is an operating weight in excess of 7.5 tonnes if so they must not be left unattended, it is for loading or unloading and could not have been carried out without being on a doorway or verge or there was an emergency.

sweetcakes Tue 14-Sep-21 12:20:29

I have two neighbours one who bought an old car and has it park outside his own home to stop any one else parking there, its taxed has mot and insured and another who has had the whole of the front paved, it had dropped kerbs anyway. ??‍♀️

Bigirl57 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:13:15

As long as your vehicle is taxed insured MOT and you are not obstructing or parked illegally you can park there. If they “don’t want to look out to your car” tell them to look the other way then.

sharon59 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:12:45

I live next door to a junior school and what really anoys me is parents turning up in their cars to wait for their offspring an hour or more before school ends. And what really makes my blood boil are these drivers sitting in their cars with their engines permanently running poluting our street. On occasion, I and other neighbours have politely asked them to turn their engines off, sometimes, not always, resulting in verbal abuse from the drivers, (the irony of their actions totally escaping them) Don't think this will ever change.