Gransnet forums

Chat

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness

(90 Posts)
NotAGran55 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:17:24

I woke to a misty morning and smiled because I love, love, love the autumn.
Possibly because I was born in the autumn or because I suit Autumn colours? Who knows ..

I love everything about it , the temperature, colours, smells , clothes , watching the harvest come in , getting stuck behind tractors included!

What is your favourite season?

Witzend Thu 16-Sep-21 11:45:59

Grandma70s

Autumn, very definitely. I don’t like summer because I hate heat, but spring and winter are all right. Autumn’s best, though. - exciting, somehow, though I can’t quite pin down why.l.

I’ve always liked it, at least partly from leftover childhood anticipation of Bonfire Night (Halloween wasn’t much of a thing then) and the run up to C*******s.
I still enjoy those (almost) as much as ever. Not sure it’s 2nd childhood any more, probably more like my 3rd.

nanna8 Thu 16-Sep-21 11:51:15

It is Spring here and I love it. Bright and sunny and coolish and all the blossom trees are out as well as the azaleas and rhododendrons, spectacular.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 11:55:01

I love the run up to Christmas and all the excuses for celebration, plus it’s start over time in the garden - my passion, so excuse to plan and replant.

So already got Halloween and bonfire night arranged with family. Our traditional get together with fireworks, the chiminea alight, always have the same meal with chocolate and fudge dips for fruit and wafers for pudding. Been doing it for years. GS s now 17 and 21 and each year I assume they are too old, but now bringing girlfriends?.

Then of course Christmas?

Whatdayisit Thu 16-Sep-21 12:02:28

I love Autumn as it hails an end to Summer. I love the colours. The feeling of needing to get back into routines. The Autumn sunshine. Autumnal walks. Then I love a quick change into Winter. I love Winter for the dark nights and the rushing home to lamps on candles lit casseroles on the stove blankets on the settee and snuggling up. Winter Walks when the sun can be kind and make you feel glad to be alive. And just as you get to the point where you have had enough of the dark and cold and dreariness Spring shows itself. The bulbs start pushing up as the days start lengthening. Just watching nature starting with her hardworking again.and all the months ahead to look forward to and the light nights.
Summer is my least favourite season. I always look forward and dread it at the same time. Debilitating hayfever. The sun too hot to handle. But i love the blue skys and days out and the relief of getting off the rat race for a while with the Summer holidays.
I love the seasons in Britain.even though it does feel like Old Mother Shipton's prophecies are coming true and all the seasons are rolling into one.

nanaK54 Thu 16-Sep-21 12:02:54

I am Autumn born, but it's spring and summer that I love.
I do enjoy the colours of autumn but not the nights drawing in and the knowledge that winter is just around the corner

sodapop Thu 16-Sep-21 12:04:31

I'm looking forward to soup for my lunch when the weather is cooler Witzend
My husband makes excellent soup especially French onion.
It's still hot here, I have the fan going as we speak.

Nannan2 Thu 16-Sep-21 12:05:48

I have favourite bits of each season, but sadly they all seem to be merging into each other these days.I like autumn for the crispness of the air, the colours of the leaves, and the nights drawing in to make you feel cosy..And my GD is named Autumn.and yes its when she was born.?

Blondiescot Thu 16-Sep-21 12:05:55

I like autumn and spring almost equally, but I detest the whole build-up to xmas, which seems to begin earlier and earlier ever year, and xmas itself. Not a fan of bonfire night either - causes far too much misery to animals (and many people too).

SueDonim Thu 16-Sep-21 13:32:27

I’m a September baby and coincidentally, when I had my ‘colours’ done, I also suit an autumn colour palette. Sometimes autumn infuses me with melancholy, the dying of the year. Yet it also has the most magnificent of days, full of colour and warmth.

I never really used to mind which season was which but now I find winter increasing hard, especially the cold, dull months of the new year.

lemongrove Thu 16-Sep-21 14:43:02

Kim19

Spring for me. Season of newness and promise. Autumn suggests downhill all the way for me with only some beautiful colouring to enhance it.

I agree with those sentiments.
Mind you, it’s more like Summer at the moment, we walked by the river today and then sat outside a cafe in the sun, it was hot.

Gingster Thu 16-Sep-21 14:50:27

We’ve just had a beautiful autumnal walk.
Warm sunshine , woods and fields.
Blackberries, elderberries, cob nuts , red and golden leaves.

Bright red berries hanging in bowers.

Little pooch running and sniffing.

We didn’t see a soul and we were out for 2 hours.

Glorious, golden autumn. ?????

BlueSapphire Thu 16-Sep-21 16:36:56

I love spring going into summer, so April - June. Love the blossom and promise of warmer days. But my colours are Autumn, red, orange and gold.

3dognight Thu 16-Sep-21 16:42:43

Notagran, I actually LONG for Autumn to come, and the first day I can feel it, it almost makes me cry with joy!

I love when the crops are in and the fields are left stubble- my dogs can get into top gear, and once the temperature drops below 15 degrees and I need a fleece I’m happiest, and so are my dogs. Stove can be lit of a cold evening, bliss. Slow cooker dinners, and soup making, pickles, jams, to make from surplus allotment goodies.

September and October best months of the year, I would rather have a cold crisp sunny day than any amount of summer sunshine.

Billybob4491 Thu 16-Sep-21 17:23:47

Spring for me - new beginnings.

sundowngirl Fri 17-Sep-21 10:42:44

I love the spring with all the fresh buds/blossom on the trees - the days getting longer and all the new beginnings. I hate winter and really dislike the autumn as its just a load of dead leaves waiting to fall. I suffer from SAD so autumn/winter are depressing times knowing that we are heading towards less daylight.

jaylucy Fri 17-Sep-21 10:43:47

I have always loved autumn.
The wonderful colours of the trees and the feeling of the world slowing down, ready to be tucked up for winter.
Winter - a chance to stay indoors or go striding out over ground that is white and crispy with frost then home for a hot drink and to hibernate!
Spring is the world slowly waking up with longer days and the leaves unfurling on the trees, birds singing.
Summer with hopefully warm, long days . Time to lounge in the garden (once the grass/hedge/flowers have been cut) and meet up with family and friends for barbecues or tea in the garden.
Which do I choose?

HillyN Fri 17-Sep-21 10:45:00

Another autumn lover here, my birthday is also in autumn and I love autumnal colours. I'm now seriously wondering if there is a link between your birthday and your favourite season. Those of you who prefer spring, are your birthdays in spring?

SillyNanny321 Fri 17-Sep-21 10:50:21

I love Spring when everything is fresh & new. So green & not burned by the sun. Though I do like the warmth of Summer & would have appreciated a bit more warmth this year I am not a fan of the extreme heat. Autumn is a pretty season but emphasises the horrible coldness to come in Winter. Winter is fine when looking at snow scenes etc but not for me.

Josianne Fri 17-Sep-21 10:52:20

Interesting HillyN. I have a spring birthday, I am blonde and fair skinned, but my vote is for Autumn. If my birth sign is anything to go by I should be under the sea anyway!

Missiseff Fri 17-Sep-21 11:04:10

Summer. HATE Autumn and Winter

Audi10 Fri 17-Sep-21 11:08:52

Spring without a doubt, new flowers appearing, new beginnings, cannot stand winter

sunnybean60 Fri 17-Sep-21 11:18:14

My favourite season is spring and the promise of new beginnings

cupcake1 Fri 17-Sep-21 11:19:50

Spring as others have said the newness of it all and the promise of summer. I HATE winter and autumn is too close to that!

Severnsider Fri 17-Sep-21 11:31:26

Spring, I love watching for the first flowers - snowdrops, then primroses, bluebells - the promise of warm weather to come.

bear1 Fri 17-Sep-21 11:35:13

Born in December but hate the cold so Sumer is definitely my favourite season