Gransnet forums

Chat

Oban in early October

(56 Posts)
Polarbear2 Fri 17-Sep-21 11:39:57

My OH is buried in building work and I’d like to escape for a few days. I’d love to try Oban. It’d be early October. Thinking train up from SYorks then hotel/B&B and use bus trips to go out and about. Or ferries? Is October a bad month weather wise? I’d be on my own and although I’m fairly confident I’m not experienced at solo travel.
Thinking train rather than driving as I think the 8 hour drive would kill me. Costs need to be kept in check too. Any advice welcome

henetha Sat 18-Sep-21 10:45:03

Oban is lovely and a perfect place to get ferries to Mull etc.
I had a little coach holiday there just before corona struck.
I was alone but made two nice friends to go around with.
I think October can be a lovely month unless the weather decides to be nasty.

Polarbear2 Sat 18-Sep-21 11:45:55

Well! I’ve booked my hotels on a free cancellation basis. Stopover in Lockerbie on the way up. Decided on car as it gives me flexibility. If the weather is predicted to be dire I can cancel. Can’t find a coach tour except one that’s self drive so that defeats the object! ?.
Thanks all for the input
Witzend - I can do a level of sun if there’s a brolly and a pool nearby. Or the sea. I’m suspecting my OH will now book us a hol as he’s feeling a bit jealous. Watch this space. ?

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 13:31:04

Have a great time PolarBear2. Fingers crossed for the weather. You could be lucky as we have been in the past. If not, you'll love the colours. It's so beautifully green up there under the gorgeous autumn coloured trees.

Polarbear2 Sat 18-Sep-21 14:12:53

Thanks ??

Cabbie21 Sat 18-Sep-21 14:29:24

Can I come with you Polarbear2? It sounds lovely, just the sort of break I could do with. I have been to Oban, many years ago now, about 52, I think! Beautiful scenery.
On another note, what is a self drive coach tour? It doesnt sound sense to me.

Polarbear2 Sat 18-Sep-21 18:44:15

Cabbie21

Can I come with you Polarbear2? It sounds lovely, just the sort of break I could do with. I have been to Oban, many years ago now, about 52, I think! Beautiful scenery.
On another note, what is a self drive coach tour? It doesnt sound sense to me.

Nope me neither. It’s a ‘tour’ run by a coach company but you have to get there yourself? ?‍♀️

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 19:35:09

Quick thought - check with hotel re the parking situation. It can be problematical and/or expensive if the hotel doesn't have its own parking.

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 19:36:19

That's in Oban. I don't know Lockerbie so can't comment.

Polarbear2 Sat 18-Sep-21 20:32:51

Thanks. Done that as I saw in lots of reviews that parking was an issue. Thanks for the heads up though. ?

Kim19 Sat 18-Sep-21 20:59:53

Sounds like you've made a well thought out and excellent decision. I wish you well (with a bit of envy intermixed) and will be watching the weather with extra interest and fingers crossed for you. ?

Polarbear2 Sat 18-Sep-21 22:03:07

Aw thanks. Hand on heart I wish I had someone to go with but hey, it’ll be an adventure. ?

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 07:11:48

When are you off? Just so we can mentally accompany you? How about posting a day by day journal?

Kim19 Sun 19-Sep-21 07:24:01

Like your mode of thinking, Aveline. I'd be up for that too. P2, how about a couple of travelling companions in spirit or 'virtual' in modern parlance?!

Polarbear2 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:17:04

Nice idea. I’m just worried I’d somehow be setting myself up for someone not so nice to follow me. Neurotic?? moi?? ? I’d be kind of up for that tho if it’s safe.

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 09:29:13

You could keep it general PolarBear2. eg day trip to Mull, lovely smooth sailing or breakfast not up to much today etc. However, I do take your point about online safety. Your plans got me thinking about the area and how much I'd enjoy being back there. Taynuilt is our old family home so we've been going back for years. Most recently last October.
Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Kim19 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:42:12

Or even a rough guide to what you did 'yesterday' without any reference to your actual day, location or plans. Gosh, it was intended as fun and companionship but you're quite right about potential ne'er do wells. Just stay safe and enjoy - whatever you do.

Esspee Sun 19-Sep-21 09:50:54

This has been such a beautiful summer in my part of Scotland, the warmest, sunniest, driest summer for years with rivers and lochs very low. Autumn has started early with the rowan and chestnut trees leading the way.
Enjoy your drive, why not stop off on the way so you can appreciate amazing sights such as Glencoe rather than being desperate to get to your destination.
Once in Oban check out the seafood eating places on the harbour, delicious!
Have a wonderful trip.

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 10:10:48

Oh yes. Enjoy the journey. You'll be driving through beautiful countryside almost regardless of the route you take.
Ooh. That's another question. Which route do you plan to drive?

Zoejory Sun 19-Sep-21 10:14:31

Have a super time smile

Polarbear2 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:19:10

Thanks all. It’s a lovely idea and I absolutely appreciate the thought. I’ll do something that’s both fun (I hope) and safe. Maybe call it Polar adventures ?
I’m going from S Yorks so over to Manchester way and up the west side of the country. I could go over Skipton way but from experience the traffic can be heavy. We did that route recently tbf on a NYorks trip.
Q re ferry. Do I have to book in advance?
Esspee - that’s actually a positive of going it alone - I can stop and appreciate the scenery rather than just battling on to the destination. OH doesn’t understand ‘stopping’ ?
Ps I’m getting a bit excited now. Think I should calm down. ???

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 10:25:16

Plan ahead for the ferry. Even foot passengers should book in advance.

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 10:26:58

I actually meant the routes within Scotland. Via Callendar or via Loch Lomond. Or cross country and go via Fort William? Decisions decisions!

Polarbear2 Sun 19-Sep-21 10:47:32

Ohh. Haven’t thought that far. I’ll get the map out! ?
Thanks re ferry

Hellogirl1 Sun 19-Sep-21 13:52:51

I love the drive alongside Loch Lomond, then across to Lochgilphead before taking the road up to Oban, but not everyone likes that road due to it being very twisty, but it`s a very pretty route.

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 15:14:37

DH drives as I get very car sick especially on those twisty roads.