Gransnet forums

Chat

Oban in early October

(56 Posts)
Polarbear2 Fri 17-Sep-21 11:39:57

My OH is buried in building work and I’d like to escape for a few days. I’d love to try Oban. It’d be early October. Thinking train up from SYorks then hotel/B&B and use bus trips to go out and about. Or ferries? Is October a bad month weather wise? I’d be on my own and although I’m fairly confident I’m not experienced at solo travel.
Thinking train rather than driving as I think the 8 hour drive would kill me. Costs need to be kept in check too. Any advice welcome

Polarbear2 Sun 31-Oct-21 09:24:07

I’ve been searching for this post to update you all. Assuming you’re interested that is ? So. I went and I did and it was fab.u.lous ?. I drove up to Lockerbie on the Sunday which was a lovely drive and quite relaxed. Reasonable hotel. Then Monday onwards to Oban. Past Loch Lomond which was so beautiful. Lunch in a garden centre cafe just outside Oban which was really really good. Seafood platter ?. First room they gave me in the hotel was dire. Damp and dark - so I asked for an upgrade. Got a lovely light and bright room so that was a plus. Had all my evening meals in the hotel as I was a bit nervy about wandering about in the dark. Meals were nice and one or two people chatted. Just watched tv after in my room which was ok. Tuesday I headed out up to Glencoe, then on to Fort William and …. Just kept going! I drove for miles. Ended up in Mallaig. Had a gorgeous seafood lunch again (stupidly hadn’t realised this area was good for seafood .. doh).
Day after I stayed out of the car and went on a boat trip. Beautiful and sea was flat calm. Cold tho!!! Two lads I chatted to were in shorts because it was a lovely sunny day. They froze! Another lovely lunch and a nice walk along the front and bit of shop browsing.
Headed home on Thursday but unfortunately the weather was horrible and it was driving rain all the way back. Not quite so relaxing. Was glad to reach my stopover in Cumbria.
So. No drama. Weather was kind. People were lovely. At NO point did I feel lonely - which surprised me. I felt free and liberated and calm and happy. I smiled a lot.
Of course in this long descriptor I’m missing the main bit - the scenery!!!! Oh my days. I was astonished, stunned, blown away. Every corner brought a new vista. I took loads of pictures which I’ll treasure. I stopped when I wanted. Had nobody to answer to. Importantly no man being the aggressive driver! I just tootled along and if someone wanted to pass I pulled in! I admit I was cautious. I didn’t move far from the car and I didn’t stop if a lorry was in the pull-in.
Having done it tho I’d do it again in a heartbeat. And I think I’d be less nervy - more confident - next time. OH wasn’t over pleased of course that I’d enjoyed it so much. Bit jealous I think. Female friends were all super supportive and also a bit envious but in a good way?
So thanks to all who encouraged me. You were great and gave some good advice. Here’s to the next one!!!

Tizliz Sun 31-Oct-21 09:30:19

Every hill and bend in the road reveals a new, fantastic view. The road from Glasgow north is just lovely.

Daisymae Sun 31-Oct-21 09:38:42

Sounds fabulous, thanks for the update. Pleased that you went for it, Scotland is beautiful but I don't think that we will be able to go again.

Cabbie21 Sun 31-Oct-21 09:43:26

Thanks for the update. It sounds lovely and you coped well with being on your own.
We have been talking about holidays within DH’s limitations, and he has given me his blessing to go away on my own, so i am going to plan something similar now.

Jaxjacky Sun 31-Oct-21 09:47:11

Thank you for this Polarbear2 so pleased it went well, truly an adventure!