Gransnet forums

Chat

M25 protesters chaos

(225 Posts)
rosie1959 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:28:43

More reports this morning of Insulate Britain causing absolute chaos on parts of the M25
Apparently the police are now taking more decisive action to remove them and not before time
Blue paint has also been poured onto the road in a bid to disrupt more traffic
They will get little sympathy for this ridiculous type of action that the police seem to have been very slow to clear Sure a few HGVs could clear them quicker

rosie1959 Wed 22-Sep-21 17:23:17

Good point Algerias
Oh well the protesters are now apparently outside the home office burning paperwork now if they were that concerned you would think they would recycle it

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 17:23:42

grin

mokryna Wed 22-Sep-21 18:52:26

eazybee

I am delighted to hear that M25 protesters can be prosecuted and hope they will be given prison sentences, always supposing the Judge doesn't take the view it is a 'reasonable' protest. Reasonable for whom?
If they are fined they will simply raise the money through crowdfunding.

Although I don’t agree what happened on the m25, the protesters at least brought the problem to the public’s notice. However, protesting should not be a prison offense, as where will it stop. The next time there is a protest, who will decide if it is an offense or not.

Moreover and more importantly the UK is a democracy which respects human rights, it is not a dictatorship. If people were to be given prison sentences, the UK is no better than China, remember the Umbrella Protest for freedom, or Afghanistan women fighting for their right to work.

The UK will not be able anymore, to accuse other countries of their lack of human rights.

rosie1959 Wed 22-Sep-21 18:58:19

The protesting is not the problem but when you are wantingly endangering the lives of others then it has to be stopped

mokryna Wed 22-Sep-21 19:38:53

Excepted, I completely understand but that’s also what the Chinese government would say, people couldn’t move about they were causing an obstruction.

mokryna Wed 22-Sep-21 19:39:15

Accepted

rosie1959 Wed 22-Sep-21 20:14:56

mokryna

Excepted, I completely understand but that’s also what the Chinese government would say, people couldn’t move about they were causing an obstruction.

So I suppose in that case protesters can do just as they like to protect their human rights even if it does involve running into a live lane on a motorway which could cause a major accident
They were certainly causing an obstruction and a public danger. They even rely on the police to protect them pretty sure that doesn't happen in China

bikergran Thu 23-Sep-21 09:39:04

The sheer horror ! of what it could have caused with thoughtless stupid Idiots running around on fast motorways, just doesn't bare thinking about.

We all know that it takes one tiny little blip on a fast road to cause a massive pile up!

Lock them up, fine them heavily, show their faces on the media.

Pathetic the lot of them.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Sep-21 09:28:06

I saw on twitter yesterday (I think it was Sky news) that the lady who had a stroke and was caught up in these protests has since died.

Are the Insulate Britain protesters responsible for her death?

Should they be charged with man slaughter?

(Totally trivial compared to the above but I had planned to visit Bluewater today, then pop into Lakeside on my way back, but these people are blocking the M25 at junction 30, plans cancelled ?)

Alegrias1 Thu 30-Sep-21 09:47:43

I saw on twitter yesterday (I think it was Sky news) that the lady who had a stroke and was caught up in these protests has since died.

I'm not sure that's true GG13

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Sep-21 09:56:50

Alegrias1

^I saw on twitter yesterday (I think it was Sky news) that the lady who had a stroke and was caught up in these protests has since died.^

I'm not sure that's true GG13

I am trying to find it Alegrias1 as after I posted and watched the ITV Breakfast news where it wasn’t mentioned I thought the same as you.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Sep-21 10:21:40

Ok folks, have just tried to search where I saw this information and I am unable to verify it, I think I may have fallen fowl of fake news I apologise.

(It’s not fake news regarding my cancelled shopping trip)

Alegrias1 Thu 30-Sep-21 11:45:52

GG13 ?

maddyone Thu 30-Sep-21 12:47:32

Mokryna
Protesting isn’t a crime and no one could be sent to prison for it, but it’s illegal to obstruct a public highway and protesters can be prosecuted for that.

lemsip Mon 04-Oct-21 11:59:53

I am glad I don't live in London! more highways blocked.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10056407/Now-eco-mob-block-Blackwall-Tunnel-Insulate-Britain-launch-ELEVENTH-day-protests.html
A tearful woman trying to get to her unwell 81-year-old mother in a Canterbury hospital wept this morning as she slammed 'selfish' eco-morons who tried to bring London to a standstill by blocking major commuter routes into the capital during rush hour.

Fifty-four demonstrators from XR splinter group Insulate Britain clashed with hardworking motorists on the Blackwall Tunnel, Hanger Lane and Wandsworth Bridge earlier today, causing massive tailbacks on the group's eleventh day of protests in a month.

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 12:46:30

The bloke in the grey hooded top looks frightening confused

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:52:17

I don't agree in any way with the tactics these protesters are using but can you not see the manipulation from the Mail and the like?

Tearful women, eco-morons, hardworking motorists....

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 13:06:46

Tearful hard working motorist Anna driving a Mercedes-Benz GLS Class retailing at £89k pleaded with eco morons Pete and Dave from Kensington whilst a well insulated gentleman called Trevor dragged recently had a hip replacement Harry over the kerb onto the pavement whilst police looked on.

lemsip Mon 04-Oct-21 13:20:33

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/insulate-britain-protesters-block-london-routes-hours-after-jail-threat-x2sjtlw63

news.sky.com/story/insulate-britain-protesters-block-blackwall-tunnel-and-three-other-major-london-routes-12425750

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/04/insulate-britain-protesters-block-three-major-routes-london/

Not just the Mail.....and I don't think these can be called 'the like' either!

rosie1959 Mon 04-Oct-21 13:23:13

JaneJudge

Tearful hard working motorist Anna driving a Mercedes-Benz GLS Class retailing at £89k pleaded with eco morons Pete and Dave from Kensington whilst a well insulated gentleman called Trevor dragged recently had a hip replacement Harry over the kerb onto the pavement whilst police looked on.

Nice wheels but does that really have anything to do with it she was trying to get to hospital to see her mum so bound to be upset
Motorists are going to get upset and the police are probably pretty fed up with major roads being blocked

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 13:25:02

I worry for this country, I really do.

I'm not objecting to the reporting of it, I'm objecting to the inflammatory way that papers such as the Mail refer to the different sides in this stand off in different ways.

Do you not see the difference?

JaneJudge gets it smile

rosie1959 Mon 04-Oct-21 13:39:13

Yes can see the difference but reporting has always been that way nothing new everything in the Daily Fail has to be taken with a pinch of salt
But I think you will find a great majority of the general public think these protesters are idiots and a total liability no matter what the press reports

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 13:42:23

Daily Fail has to be taken with a pinch of salt

But it doesn't get taken that way be millions, does it? It sets the tone and influences people's opinions in ways that are not acceptable. Just because it may or may not have always happened, that doesn't make it right.

rosie1959 Mon 04-Oct-21 13:56:24

No need to read the newspaper it's live on twitter and you can see clearly what happened

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 14:01:21

I give up.

Eco-moron, vegetarian and professional layabout Alegrias1, who doesn't even work for a living, runs away from debate.