Gransnet forums

Chat

Missing school for a holiday

(241 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 19:38:40

What do you think of a child missing 3 days of school in order to have a holiday?
I am usually an a absolute stickler for "the rules" but in this instance, I think I may have to break them.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 20:34:05

I just think he has had absolutely no allowances made for the time he has had.
This school gave him £500 as a reward for his sats results when he started there (and again, didn't know the half of it) and they keep pressing him to join the "gifted and able" club - though he won't; full of nerds, apparently.

Deedaa Sat 18-Sep-21 20:35:43

I don't think anyone's life is going to be ruined by missing three days school. Sometimes family is more important.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 20:37:05

Thank you, Deedaa.
Very succinctly put.

sodapop Sat 18-Sep-21 20:39:38

Deedaa

I don't think anyone's life is going to be ruined by missing three days school. Sometimes family is more important.

Totally agree Deedaa let him go and enjoy time with his brother MissA

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 20:41:42

thanks
Thanks, all.
I do appreciate the input.
It's quite hard to decide these things on my own.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Sep-21 21:20:20

As a mum who worked I always took my children out of school for holidays when it was the only time we could go.
Let him go and make memories with his brother, the last eighteen months have been crap, they need to chill out and have one fun.

farview Sat 18-Sep-21 21:32:03

He should go....priority!!!

BlueBelle Sat 18-Sep-21 21:33:05

Give your grandson his little holiday
Losing a mum at a tender age then blooming CoviD and lockdowns what harm will three days do
Hope he enjoys himself

MerylStreep Sat 18-Sep-21 21:33:23

MissAdventure
I wouldn’t give it another thought. They are brothers who’ve had a tough time and want to spend time together.

eazybee Sat 18-Sep-21 21:52:17

Why can he and his brother not meet with each other during the half term?
After the disruption to their education during the past eighteen months, any responsible parent/ guardian would insist on them being in school.

MerylStreep Sat 18-Sep-21 21:58:02

eazybee
Sometimes there are more important things than 3 days education.

HurdyGurdy Sat 18-Sep-21 21:58:35

I wonder how parents would feel if teachers decided to take three days holiday during term time.

If they'd be ok with the staff taking additional leave during term time, then I'd say go ahead.

But I do feel for the teachers. They've had a hell of a year having to plan and deliver online lessons, and ongoing stress with having to help pupils catch up (not all parents supported their children's online learning), let alone having to then take time out to support one child on what they may have missed whilst they were away.

Lucca Sat 18-Sep-21 21:58:48

eazybee

Why can he and his brother not meet with each other during the half term?
After the disruption to their education during the past eighteen months, any responsible parent/ guardian would insist on them being in school.

This is a very dogmatic attitude.

Given the circumstances I would absolutely say yes he should go . What if he were poorly for three days what then ?

A lot of dramatic pronouncements around about children missing schooling. They’ll catch up. So what if they take a bit longer ?? I speak as a teacher but also as the parent of a son who messed about something shocking and had to repeat exams etc etc but has turned out just fine in the end

Lucca Sat 18-Sep-21 22:00:28

HurdyGurdy. Have you actually read what OP has told us of this child’s circumstances?

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 22:00:44

Would you rather meet with your loved one when circumstances have parted you, or spend proper time with them, almost as it was when you lived together?
His brother is at work ordinarily, but will be going on the holiday anyway, so wouldn't be able to meet with him.

MerylStreep Sat 18-Sep-21 22:04:44

HurdyGurdy
Teachers don’t worry when parents have to loose a days pay or scrabble around for child care when they have their teachers training day

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 22:13:05

I speak as a teacher but also as the parent of a son who messed about something shocking and had to repeat exams etc etc but has turned out just fine in the end

I was chatting the other day about people I know who were written off at school but have excellent qualifications and good jobs now. Late developers? Or just bloomed after they left that environment..

3 days off school? He should be able to catch up.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 22:19:05

He is way ahead anyway, bu a country mile, but I haven't been well, and I think spending time with me moaning isn't doing him many favours.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Sep-21 22:31:08

Take no notice missA you know it the right thing for the boys who ve had a difficult time
I m presuming some people answering don’t realise the back story

JenniferEccles Sat 18-Sep-21 22:35:19

Three days is such a tiny amount of lost schooling.
In your position I would definitely let him go.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 22:37:34

I posted because I wanted different opinions, so I don't mind the perpetually outraged putting the boot in. smile
It gives me a more rounded perspective on what to do, so all opinions are welcome.

CafeAuLait Sat 18-Sep-21 22:49:48

I missed three days of school at the start every year. It didn't hurt my education or achievement at all. I'd support taking the time off (as long as, for an older child, it doesn't occur at a critical time like exams, or labs, a crucial field trip. Chances are he'll learn more on the trip anyway.

GagaJo Sat 18-Sep-21 22:59:34

MerylStreep

HurdyGurdy
Teachers don’t worry when parents have to loose a days pay or scrabble around for child care when they have their ^teachers training day^

Teacher training days are mandatory for teachers. NONE of us want to be there. They are always boring and mostly a waste of time that we could be using to set up for the year.

It is time built into the school year so it is NEVER an off-the-cuff day that shocks parents. For students it is part of the holiday.

It's as if you think teachers have some kind of control over this. It's government mandated training.

Zoejory Sat 18-Sep-21 23:08:22

Definitely let him go.

Totally unreasonable of the school, especially given the circumstances.

We took our daughter out of school for the first 3 days after the summer holidays.

She's got a PhD now. No need to worry abut missing 3 days .

Grammaretto Sat 18-Sep-21 23:10:08

Your mistake was asking. If you ask they have to stick to the rules and refuse.
I took DD out of school for 3 weeks once for a very important trip but I just informed the school, giving the reason and no-one bothered.
It wasn't like it happened all the time.

I hope your DGS has his 3 days.