Gransnet forums

Chat

Missing school for a holiday

(240 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 19:38:40

What do you think of a child missing 3 days of school in order to have a holiday?
I am usually an a absolute stickler for "the rules" but in this instance, I think I may have to break them.

LauraNorder Sat 18-Sep-21 19:41:20

Education doesn’t always take place in the classroom.
Travel is educational.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 19:43:41

Just to be clear I have requested the 3 days, but been told no.
It's so my grandson can go on holiday with his brother; the only family he has except me.

tanith Sat 18-Sep-21 19:44:42

After the time everyone’s had I think it’s perfectly reasonable enjoy your holiday.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 19:45:27

Oh, I'm not going!

AGAA4 Sat 18-Sep-21 19:46:57

3 days away from school should not be a problem for the child but teachers may have a different view.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 19:49:29

Well, we all have our problems.
We've had our fair share, he has been separated from his brother, and they are very close, emotionally.

Josianne Sat 18-Sep-21 19:49:52

LauraNorder

Education doesn’t always take place in the classroom.
Travel is educational.

Definitely!
Quality time.

Hithere Sat 18-Sep-21 19:53:00

How old is the child?

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 19:54:49

They'll be just hanging around tormenting eachother I would imagine, rather than learning much, but I think that's important, too.
I have said no on other occasions, but I've taken umbrage this time.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 19:55:10

He is 13.

GagaJo Sat 18-Sep-21 20:03:21

The thing is though, most parents are up in arms about the amount of education children have missed this year. Surely to miss even more is crazy?

Hithere Sat 18-Sep-21 20:03:25

Is there any way to change the trip to other dates?

At least in the US, more material is thought as the grades advance and it is harder to justify a voluntary absence.

One thing is missing 3 days in 1st grade (6 y.o.) vs 8th grade (13 y.o)

It also depends if the student has good grades, the dates of absence, etc.

Hithere Sat 18-Sep-21 20:04:51

Taught sorry, no thought

Ilovecheese Sat 18-Sep-21 20:05:27

I would let him go on the holiday.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 20:06:59

It isn't my holiday so I can't change the dates.

To be honest, Gaga, just this once I would like him to go away and relax for a while.
I think his mental wellbeing is just as important as learning.

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 20:11:58

I think it's fine unless he is approaching GCSE exams.

I was worried about taking DD out of school for two weeks to go camping in France - her very sensible teacher told me that she'd learn more in that two weeks than she would in school.

That was a few years ago and common sense seems to have disappeared and autocracy has taken its place.

I think his mental wellbeing is just as important as learning.
Absolutely

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 20:13:37

3 days?

It's not 3 weeks!

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 20:15:53

Yes, it's just 3 days tagged onto half term.
He lost so much time when his mum was ill; strange that nobody was the slightest bit bothered then.

midgey Sat 18-Sep-21 20:19:39

Oh MissAdventure you grandson has had such a horrible time I don’t blame you at all. But you may well be fined mightn’t you? I do hope he can go.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 20:21:59

Yes, I may be fined, and I will just pay it.

adaunas Sat 18-Sep-21 20:27:20

Shame it’s not 3 days before half term. I’m not advocating any time off at all, but the first lessons of the week particularly in English and maths are the most important. Some children just never catch up on what they’ve missed.
All the same, I feel for your grandson. If he’s going to be very upset about not going, and take that feeling into school, chances are he’d not learn much anyway.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Sep-21 20:28:25

It is 3 days before half term. smile

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 20:30:08

MissAdventure

Yes, it's just 3 days tagged onto half term.
He lost so much time when his mum was ill; strange that nobody was the slightest bit bothered then.

I remember.

He would be upset if he can't go and probably wouldn't concentrate in lessons anyway.

Shinamae Sat 18-Sep-21 20:30:21

GagaJo

The thing is though, most parents are up in arms about the amount of education children have missed this year. Surely to miss even more is crazy?

I think quite the opposite,they have missed so much already a couple more days won’t make that much difference..