Gransnet forums

Chat

Help - I have become my father!!

(63 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:02:37

Listening to the radio this afternoon I heard songs by Freddie Mercury and Elton John (great), these were followed by a woman singing about her "booty" and how her friends man wanted to "be more than friends", and then a man rapping that his "bitch" was his "personal slut". Found myself thinking "they call this music" - which is exactly what my father used to say about the music I listened to!

I know different generations inevitably like different music and I do like some modern music but I have to say I find lyrics like this turn me into my father!

Sara1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 21:01:00

No, I can’t really remember the machine itself, only that the records were tin.

Blossoming Wed 22-Sep-21 21:12:04

The first gramophones used metal discs. Shellac came later.

Doodledog Wed 22-Sep-21 21:21:32

My dad liked traditional jazz, and I grew up with that, as well as softer jazz such as Ella Fitzgerald and Cleo Laine. My mum was the Sing Something Simple fan.

I think that the generational divide was greater then, as was the demarcation between different groups of young people that depended so much on what sort of music you liked.

My children and I share a lot of favourites, and they were much more eclectic in what they liked when teenagers - apart from my daughter's 'emo' phase, they listened to all sorts of things.

Granmarderby10 Wed 22-Sep-21 21:37:42

Loved the radiogram: ours had a deep warm woody sort of bass (if that’s even a thing) and we’d “stack” singles on the deck.

pen50 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:25:05

In my car we have Shriek-a-long-a-Plant....

Blondiescot Thu 23-Sep-21 11:30:14

Blossoming, I'm with you! I hope to be sitting in my chair in the care home rocking it out to the likes of the Foos, Linkin Park, Green Day etc. I love listening to what's new today as well - and different genres too, including rap. My musical taste is nothing if not eclectic!

Blondiescot Thu 23-Sep-21 11:33:04

Blossoming, I'm with you! I hope to be sitting in my chair in the care home rocking along to the likes of the Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Green Day, My Chemical Romance etc etc. I love listening to new music today too - and a whole host of different genres, yes, including rap. My musical taste is nothing if not eclectic.

MiniMoon Thu 23-Sep-21 11:34:06

We were wireless people. A large wooden construction full of valves that Dad had to change occasionally. The dial on the front had exotic sounding names like Hilversum for instance. Tuning it was an art that you had to learn. It had a lovely tone though.
We listened to the home service and the light programme most of the time, but Dad was a classical music fan, so the third programme was often on too.
I am listening to my Echo device at the moment, Alexa is playing me a selection of Italian songs which I am enjoying.

Jaylou Thu 23-Sep-21 11:37:04

As a child all my parents listened to was classical music. I in turn have introduced my daughter to my classical music inc Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Beatles, Blur (NOT Oasis!), Queen, Rolling Stones..... She is 22 now and has great taste in music, with no rap in sight

SillyNanny321 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:45:22

I have Planet Rock on all day every day & if I end up in a Care Home hope to carry on rocking with my head set on as cannot stand anything other than Rock & Metal & Blues!

Bazza Thu 23-Sep-21 11:46:51

It’s not music to me at all if I can’t sing or hum it! My mother was also a fan of Sing Something Simple, but I did finally manage to get her to like some Beatles songs, although her favourite was the Four Tops Reach Out I’ll be There. I still love it because it reminds me so much of her.

Dee1012 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:54:03

I can clearly remember hoovering the stairs, singing along to Status Quo and turning to see my son.
He shook his head stating "what is that...down down?!!"grin, he was around 13 at the time.

Dee1012 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:55:59

pen50

In my car we have Shriek-a-long-a-Plant....

Love it...
We have Air-guitar-like-Page in the kitchen!

Yammy Thu 23-Sep-21 12:00:32

My uncle liked "Sing something simple", and played it while taking us for a walk on the beach and an ice cream on a Sunday evening, we always waited in anticipation for my aunt to say to him and so are you , Giggles all around.
My dad had been in the forces with the Americans and when we got a record player the house bounced to Souza marches and Glen Miller.
I do play the Beach Boys and a 60's compilation in the care so maybe in the Care home, I'll be singing "I get around" with my zimmer frame.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 23-Sep-21 12:03:31

I used to work with a chap, who said his greatest fear of old age was ending up in a care home and the Brownies coming on to play Jimi Hendrix to the residents.
Me, I will want to be hearing Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Queen, Dire Straits, and the louder the better. Probably because I'll be deaf as a post and won't hear it if it isn't cranked up loud.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:04:40

Can I put in a plug for brilliant nostalgic music on Angel Radio angelradio.co.uk/

PinkCosmos Thu 23-Sep-21 13:39:02

Teacher Anne My mum is in a care home, she was born in 1932 but hates all the war time songs they sing there! As she was 13 when the war ended, I doubt that she was a fan of them first time around!

My mum was the same. She would have much rather listened to Michael Jackson or the Bee Gees!

PinkCosmos Thu 23-Sep-21 13:48:23

Blossoming - Singalonga Foo Fighters please! Plus for disco fans there’s their Hail Satin album of Bee Gees covers.

Just listened to the You Tube video. Brilliant.

Never knew that the Foo Fighters were a.k.a. the Dee Gees. My mum (R.I.P.) would have loved this. Better than 'Roll out the barrel' which seemed to be a favourite in the car home hmm

Unigran4 Thu 23-Sep-21 14:02:54

I used to like Sing Something Simple UNTIL.....I joined the BBC as a secretary and my first job (which lasted several days) was to sit in a soundproof booth and listen to over 50 recordings of SSS on the trot to check they were edited properly. I gather one SSS had gone on air unedited causing complaints and overrun in the week before I joined.

I went right off it after that!

Nell8 Thu 23-Sep-21 14:25:00

This thread has given me a half-formed and depressing flashback. Mum used to listen to Sandy Mac-somebody on the Home Service playing requests on his Hammond organ. Everything about it was drony and dreary especially the time I had to sit through the whole thing waiting for a request for Grandma to be played ... which it wasn't, of course.

Can anyone remember the name of the programme?

Blossoming Thu 23-Sep-21 14:49:37

The Dee Gees started as a joke Pink Cosmos as part of the Foos’ ongoing response to the Westboro Baptist Church pickets. It kind of grew from there, and there are several other Dee Gees songs on YouTube. It’s fun and the music’s good!

Blossoming Thu 23-Sep-21 14:52:37

Nell8 I know the name of the programme but I think the organist was probably Sandy MacPherson.

Eloethan Thu 23-Sep-21 14:54:24

I don't mind rap - though dislike some of the lyrics. However, some of these raps are quite poetic and very meaningful. But I don't really see them as "music". Quite often the backing track has been taken from previous records, which, to my mind is cheating anyway.

I also hate the growing trend in contemporary music for synthesized voices, which, again, I see as cheating. Quite often the voices sound very similar because of these synthesizers and I wonder how many of these artistes would be successful if they didn't have the aid of technology.

Blossoming Thu 23-Sep-21 14:55:56

I don’t know, not I know!

Trisha57 Thu 23-Sep-21 15:06:34

Both my daughters were born in the early 80s, but because of their Dad's taste in music and his huge 50s and 60s record collection, they used to sit on the swing together swinging backwards and forwards singing "Anyone who had a Heart" by Cilla Black, much to the amusement of our neighbours. When youngest DD was in hospital having her adenoids removed at age 6, the hospital radio man came round the children's ward asking for requests. Many requests for Kiley and Jason, and then he came to my daughter who promptly asked for "That'll be the Day" by Buddy Holly!!!