Gransnet forums

Chat

Help - I have become my father!!

(63 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:02:37

Listening to the radio this afternoon I heard songs by Freddie Mercury and Elton John (great), these were followed by a woman singing about her "booty" and how her friends man wanted to "be more than friends", and then a man rapping that his "bitch" was his "personal slut". Found myself thinking "they call this music" - which is exactly what my father used to say about the music I listened to!

I know different generations inevitably like different music and I do like some modern music but I have to say I find lyrics like this turn me into my father!

Lizzie44 Thu 23-Sep-21 16:11:11

My Dad loved his wireless and I can picture him in the 1940s and 50s sitting in his armchair, puffing on his pipe and tapping his feet to the Latin American music of Edmundo Ros on the Billy Cotton's Band Show. He also loved Friday Night is Music Night and Sing Something Simple.

Janburry Thu 23-Sep-21 16:12:16

I remember singing along to a song that Boyzone had 'just' released, my GD was amazed l knew the lyrics when l informed her l used to sing along to the song many years before she said l couldn't possibly have as it was a new song they had just released hmm

usuallyright Thu 23-Sep-21 17:19:19

I personally have different classifications for the modern day noises as I consider them to be.
These are as follows, Thrash, Wail, Wail and Thrash together,
Just noise, even Louder Noise, Head Banging, and, not the least Silent K. This particular one is often referred to as Rap where the K is silent. Happy listening.

Flakesdayout Thu 23-Sep-21 17:30:00

We had a radiogram when I was growing up which I was allowed to play my singles which stacked up to 7. Then when I started work I bought my own "stereo record player/cd player." My Dad used to bang on the ceiling with a brook stick as my music was too loud. I was into Soul Funk and Reggae with a heavy beat. I also remember Sing Something Simple and sometimes for some strange reason will wake up with a really old song in my head. (Dont know where that comes from). I like T.Rex so will be happy with that. Even have Get It On as my phone ring tone.

Bazza Thu 23-Sep-21 17:30:24

Love that usuallyright and you absolutely are, particularly the silent K.

GreenGran78 Thu 23-Sep-21 20:07:55

Nell8 I'm rather ashamed to admit that it was Sandy McPherson at the organ (not sure about the spelling). I can't remember what I had for breakfast, some days, but the name popped into my head as soon as I read your post.
I was born in 1939, so my childhood memories are of Workers' Playtime, Vera Lynn's Forces' Favourites, The Billy Cotton Band Show (Wakey...wakey!) I could probably still remember the words and music for most of the wartime songs, because we only had 'the wireless' to listen to. My parents weren't classical music fans, so I didn't even know that such a thing existed.
I was taken to a performance of "Merrie England" just after the war, and was absolutely blown away by the sound of all those voices singing in harmony. It triggered a love of choral singing which I still maintain, though my voice is getting a bit past it now. I love most music, but some of the modern rap leaves me cold.

chrissyh Thu 23-Sep-21 20:15:11

I've found Boom Radio and, as it suggests, plays music of the Baby Boomer era. What I love about it is the presenters are all of a certain age and it is very soothing, no shouting or inane chatter. Even the ads are not intrusive. I listen to it on Alexa but don't know where else you can find it.

Nell8 Thu 23-Sep-21 20:28:31

Blossoming and Green Gran Thank you both. Sandy MacPherson .... I'm sure that's the man! I've googled him and he had several request shows on the Light Programme, including one called "The Twilight Hour". What sort of doomy gloomy title is that? No wonder my childhood memories are grim!
Anyway, thanks again. I now have "closure".smile

hereshoping Fri 24-Sep-21 08:14:11

I rather enjoy Dementia Radio, except that they keep repeating the same few songs day in, day out. You can choose 50's , 60's or 70's.

Seabear Fri 24-Sep-21 08:36:20

Blossoming

Singalonga Foo Fighters please! Plus for disco fans there’s their Hail Satin album of Bee Gees covers.

(Seriously, for YouTube fans you should definitely give the Foos’ live cover of Shadow Dancing a listen)

youtu.be/7o5n5SpWEwQ

It’s my latest earworm and now it can be yours too grin

OMG! I never knew this existed. Buying the album now grin

effalump Sun 26-Sep-21 21:20:36

I say the same about current chart music. At least music from the 70's and 80's seemed to be stories set to music whereas a lot of today's songs seem to be about heartbreak, etc. or 'work speak' which I just don't get at all.

effalump Sun 26-Sep-21 21:21:02

Sorry that should have said 'woke speak'.