Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate cats……

(157 Posts)
Sago Wed 22-Sep-21 19:42:00

I really don’t like cats, I live in an area that is teeming with them.

Our local neighbourhood watch Facebook page is full of pictures of lost cats and now people are just posting “cute” photographs of their cats.

I don’t get how anyone can be so crazy about these furry pests that use my garden as a toilet.

Am I alone?

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 23-Sep-21 15:02:21

Milo - Ripley must be out somewhere!

Kate1949 Thu 23-Sep-21 15:09:06

I resent being told by people who know nothing about me that I'm not a nice person because I don't like their bloomin dog.

PinkCakes Thu 23-Sep-21 16:33:37

Sago......just for you....

Hellogirl1 Thu 23-Sep-21 17:08:15

My beautiful Billy, what`s not to love?

Aveline Thu 23-Sep-21 17:18:54

Kate1949. It's people who say they don't like animals that seem suspicious. I'm sure you're lovely.
I do like dogs but not all dogs. However, I've never met a cat I didn't like.

VioletSky Thu 23-Sep-21 17:27:47

Sago* I can't help laughing that this has turned into a cat appreciation post.

I do have 4 cats and they are all complete weirdos in various different ways and I do love them.

If it is any consolation, they all poo on my lawn. They haven't got the memo about pooing on other people's

Kate1949 Thu 23-Sep-21 17:46:51

I do like animals and would help one if it was in trouble but I don't like dogs (although I would help one too and have done). I don't think it's at all suspicious if people don't like animals. It doesn't mean they'd harm one. We can't all be the same.

Blondiescot Thu 23-Sep-21 18:33:50

But, Kate1949, if someone was to say to you that, for instance, they didn't like gay people, or people with ginger hair, say (just a couple of hypothetical examples) - then surely that would colour your opinion of that person? So how is not liking animals any different? If someone said to me that they didn't like animals (whether it was all animals, or cats, or dogs), then like it or not, that would affect how I viewed that person.

Kate1949 Thu 23-Sep-21 18:51:12

Animals are not people. It's like saying because you don't like what I like, you're not very nice. As I said, I do like animals. My experience of dogs (and some dog owners) has been very negative.

Blondiescot Thu 23-Sep-21 19:00:56

Missing my point entirely...

Curlywhirly Thu 23-Sep-21 19:02:32

Kate1949 but all cats and dogs (and other animals) have their own unique personality; some are very affectionate and gentle (what's not to like?) and others are aloof and can be aggressive. You can't tar them all with the same brush!

TerriBull Thu 23-Sep-21 19:06:30

I love cats, we moved this year and there don't seem to be many around my new area, loads of dogs, everyone seems to have acquired a dog of late, I like them but cats will always have the number one place. in my heart

Kate1949 Thu 23-Sep-21 19:17:11

I don't tar them all with the same brush. People in my family have dogs and adore them. I think it's a bit unkind to tell someone they're not a nice person if they don't like them.
If someone told me they didn't like gay people or people with ginger hair, I would think that it was up to them. It's not how I feel but I wouldn't tell them they weren't nice.

valdali Thu 23-Sep-21 19:21:25

Cats and dogs are life-enhancing and really good for their owners' physical and mental health. And I personally love them. I'm not suspicious of people I meet who don't though, I have brilliant friends who don't like cats and dogs. I look upon it as a minor disability, like colour blindness - the inability to appreciate all that beauty and adoration ( possibly faked in the case of cats...) they bring to our lives.

Maywalk Thu 23-Sep-21 19:31:40

We had a cat that saved my Dads and my sister's life during WW2. The rest of the house that was standing after the London Blitz fell on the Anderson shelter where they went during a heavy bombing raid and "Blue" the cat kept yowling until the firemen realised that they were both buried alive. I would have had one myself to keep me company during my old age but unfortunately cannot tolerate the fur due to Chronic Asthma.

TwinLolly Thu 23-Sep-21 19:33:08

I love cats despite being allergic to them. I have to make do with friends cats or our neighbours cats popping by the house as we cannot have a cat at the moment due to current work situations.

I got bitten by a St Bernard years ago (it jumped over the fence and went for me) so it put me off dogs. I trust only my friends guide dogs now.

seacliff Thu 23-Sep-21 19:33:46

"Blondiescot, exactly - I'm instantly suspicious of people who are indifferent to, or don't like animals.

I can happily say, I have never met an animal I didn't like, or one that didn't seem to take to me. I can't say the same for some people though.^"

Agreed totally with the above. People are so much worse than animals.

However I know some people who were not brought up with animals and sometimes from their childhood have learnt to have a fear/aversion to them. One young man I know is now with a partner who loves cats, and he too has become a genuine cat lover.

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Sep-21 20:29:59

We don’t dislike animals, but choose not to be responsible for any.
Back to OP, fortunately the few local cats that used to use the garden as their toilet have gone who knows where.

nanna8 Fri 24-Sep-21 05:26:21

I’m surprised cats would poo openly on grass because they usually bury it . Sounds more like a fox to me.

BigBertha1 Fri 24-Sep-21 07:08:26

DH has ringed all our shrubs in the front garden with stones and the cats seem to have gone somewhere else. Not to comfy squatting on stones I suppose. It looks nice and tidy too.

Ashcombe Fri 24-Sep-21 09:31:34

Our two naughty siblings, Cooper and Lola, on the butcher’s block this morning, probably a warmish place in the absence of a lap!

GagaJo Fri 24-Sep-21 09:55:41

nanna8, one of my neighbours cats pooed daily, first, on my gravelled drive and then on the concrete when I had it all filled in (in an attempt to stop the cat s**ting there). On one occasion, mid-poo, it hissed at me as I looked out of the window at it. Very much an f-you, I think.

Cat died not long after I had the drive concreted. I could have spared myself the expense.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Sep-21 10:05:01

Is there a cat shaped lump under the concrete? shock

Rosina Fri 24-Sep-21 10:16:27

Why do people have a cat which they leave out all day and then feed and put out all night? What kind of life is that for a sentient creature? The poor thing must be often wet, cold, lacking somewhere comfortable to rest - let's just hope any cat treated in this horrible way has the sense to find another and far more caring owner. They are delightful, funny affectionate creatures, and like the rest of us they need to poo. They don't have bathrooms - so what are they supposed to do?

henetha Fri 24-Sep-21 10:19:04

Each to his own I suppose, but it's hard to understand why anyone would hate cats. Dislike some of their habits, maybe, but not hate them. They are beautiful creatures and bring comfort to many.