Gransnet forums

Chat

Why talk about xmas in September!

(188 Posts)
Bea65 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:38:00

Sorry going for cover but CANNOT stand chat about the December event in September/October or November..just causes more anxiety..am in a minority or majority?

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 16:01:47

that not they

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 16:03:56

Beswitched

Yes Pippaz, people can say what they like when they like regarding Christmas, including the OP who has posted on an aspect of Christmas that many people find annoying.

By all means debate and disagree, but no need to be rude, aggressive or hurtful.

Only you and the OP seem to think aiming your attacks at me is the height of good manners, Beswitched

As for being definitely rude, how about shouting at posters. We also have the very passive-aggressive first few words of the OP and remarks that could be found hurtful by all those who find early preparation for Christmas assuages their anxiety. I think you sum up the OP very well. It was a very unpleasant, goading post.

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 16:08:58

Callistemon

Sara1954

Witzend
I guess because you want to be sure you’ve got enough, I don’t go mad, I’m perfectly aware that the shops are open again on Boxing Day, but still we never eat everything.

We usually eat everything, can't bear waste.
The only thing I threw out were gluten free mince pies, one lot with home-made pastry, the other with store-bought pastry.
I manfully, sorry womanfully, ploughed my way through about three or four but they were just awful.
The birds ate them although they did leave my homemade pastry until last, they must have been desperate.

Except one home-made Christmas pudding still sitting on a shelf all alone but they will probably get eaten this year..

Do you need to have gluten free Callistemon? I am going to make a batch of pastry with a new recipe in the next few days. I am still trying them out as I find it always has an after-taste. If you are interesed I can PM you the recipe if it works.

Beswitched Wed 29-Sep-21 16:13:23

Pippaz
I am not aiming attacks at you. I am expressing my opinion that your posts towards the OP are rude and antagonistic.

Anyhow, I'm not getting into any further argument with you. I have a feeling this will just go around in silly circles.

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 16:35:07

I think yours are aggressive, offensive and unjustifiable. However, I do not need someone else to come along and say that for me. The Opening Post was needlessly rude. I think we all know we don't shout at others online. It was passive-aggressive in the first few words and, by the OP's own measures, remarks were made that could be found hurtful by others who are anxious.

You have yet to say in what way I have been "rude" and if I have been posting in opposition to what was said and how it is said that is because I am.

You have stretched this out for your reasons, not the OP's. I will repeat - the OP need not have been written to goad. It could have been written in a more open manner that would have started a general chat. I wonder why, it having been written in that way, you are so incredibly keen to defend it?

V3ra Wed 29-Sep-21 17:35:22

I have been asking family members about Christmas and New Year plans.
We have two shift worker sons who are both off on Christmas Day, as far as we can tell, so they will appreciate a dinner. I'm thinking of going to a local pub, rather than cooking ourselves.
My daughter and her family will probably prefer to spend Christmas at home, they're in a different town.
We've booked accommodation to go over there for New Year.

For both events I need to know if Dad, who lives locally, needs including in our plans or if my brother or sister are likely to invite him to theirs. Neither of them have thought about it or can give me an answer.

Meanwhile as other people have said restaurants and hotels are taking bookings already.
All I want to do is get the bookings I'll need for the right number of people in place now, then I can forget about it !

Josianne Wed 29-Sep-21 18:41:37

^Meanwhile as other people have said restaurants and hotels are taking bookings already.
All I want to do is get the bookings I'll need for the right number of people in place now, then I can forget about it !^
You're right, not just restaurants V3ra. I am looking at taking GD to The Nutcracker but the best seats are nearly all sold out close to Christmas. A little flashy sign comes up to say they are selling 50 to 60 seats a day.

Smurf52 Wed 29-Sep-21 19:27:03

When I was young, Christmas started in December. There were church bazaars (there’s a word you don’t hear anymore), advent calendars, we seemed to have snow in December, etc. Nearer to Christmas was carol singing, special church services.

Now with Christmas starting in September, I’m heartily fed up by the time 25 December comes along. Then in the blink of an eyelid Xmas is over and Valentines cards and Easter eggs appear in the shops…here we go again.

Beswitched Wed 29-Sep-21 19:31:30

Yes tickets to Carol services etc have to be booked quite far in advance. But I like to do that then forget about it until nearer the event.

Christmas is a lovely time of year for many people. But I prefer it to be kept on perspective. A certain amount of advance preparation is necessary, but holding things like decorations and Christmas music back until later on creates a sense of magic and wonder.

Anyone else remember the excitement in late November when the Bunty and Beano Annuals appeared in the shops smile

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 19:37:14

I used to love it when Blue Peter got out the thing made out of coat hangers and tinsel, and lit one of the candles.
It was exciting in those days.

Sara1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 19:38:41

I don’t know about other towns, but by Christmas week, all signs of Christmas has disappeared, and there are massive sale signs everywhere.
Now that does make me cross.
When our children were little we’d go in one evening before Christmas, go and see Father Christmas, walk around listening to Carol singers and the Salvation Army band, have some supper somewhere, it was lovely.
All gone now.

Beswitched Wed 29-Sep-21 19:50:21

Our local Chemist used to spray their windows with snow and a picture of Santa at the beginning of December. The excitement!!

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 19:51:36

When my mum bought the Christmas, extra thick, TV times, too.
Happy days!

Sara1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 19:55:51

MissAdventure
I still buy it, the only one of the year, my daughter thinks I’m mad.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 19:59:21

I bet you get to watch the programmes you enjoy, though?
I'm always missing out on things since I started scrolling through the tv listings on screen.

Sara1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 20:03:05

Exactly!
I can plan ahead and record everything I want to watch, it may not be till June, but it’s all there.

Beswitched Wed 29-Sep-21 20:19:57

Oh I love the Christmas Radio Times. I sit down with my highlighter and select everything I need to record.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Sep-21 20:23:11

smile
I'm glad some traditions are still being honoured.
smile

Sara1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 21:07:00

Even if it’s only the Christmas Radio Times.

rubysong Thu 30-Sep-21 00:12:00

I don't like decorations up too early but as we are travelling nearly 400 miles this weekend to see family, I did rush round and bought all the presents for them. They are now wrapped and waiting in the car, (the presents not the family). I have just written their cards to take, which will save me quite a lot in postage.

M0nica Thu 30-Sep-21 16:00:37

DD bought two Christmas magazines this week. When I commented that this was all a bit premature her reply was. 'It is never too early to start thinking about Christmas.' There speaks an unashamed Chrstmasaholic.

She says that the Christmas movie channel is up and running, but she doesn't start watching that until October (tomorrow)

Sara1954 Thu 30-Sep-21 19:49:26

Well I’ve just driven one of my grandchildren to their activity, and I passed a house with twinkling lights in their trees, of course it may be for a different reason, but it definitely looked Christmassy

MissAdventure Thu 30-Sep-21 19:52:12

Nooooo!
Surely not?!

Sara1954 Thu 30-Sep-21 20:04:10

Well yes, they were definitely there, twinkling prettily away, but I can’t really believe they’re for Christmas!
But they definitely weren’t there last week

MissAdventure Thu 30-Sep-21 20:05:39

I'm torn between outrage and just reminding myself that it's harmless fun if someone loves Christmas that much.