Gransnet forums

Chat

Things I have bought but hardly ever used

(103 Posts)
NanKate Sat 25-Sep-21 07:46:24

In the 70s I bought a yogurt maker only used it a few times.

What about you?

Blossoming Sat 25-Sep-21 10:01:01

A soup maker. I still prefer either the slow cooker or a big pot for making soup.

Hetty58 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:03:54

and - the bread maker gets used for making dough - but I cook it in the oven!

Nell8 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:20:12

I've just had a look in our glory hole. So ... two sacks of unused attachments for vacuum cleaners including one for a Dyson which konked out years ago.
So that's probably another load of plastic for landfill if it can't be recycled.

I do think I need to unearth my Gleener "Ultimate Fuzz Remover" and JML "Bobble Off". DH and I live in fleeces and we are looking very bobbly and unkempt at the moment.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 10:42:32

A potato ricer
A juicer, taking up space in a cupboard.

DH asked last evening where my newish Kenwood Chef is and I said "it's on the worktop!"
"Oh", he replied, "it doesn't get much use does it, we've had no cake for ages".
Hint hint.

Aldom Sat 25-Sep-21 10:58:39

A hard floor steam cleaner with triangular head. Awkward to use, so gave it to a friend. Time passed and she returned it to me. I gave it to another friend. She asked me to show her how to use it. She died suddenly before I could help. Don't know what happened to the floor steamer!!

Witzend Sat 25-Sep-21 11:07:07

annsixty

A steam cleaner for the hard floors.
I used it once and by the time I
had attached the cloth thingy, filled it with water, waited for the water to heat, I could have filled the mop bucket and done half the floors with the very efficient hand mop.
It went to the tip.

To the tip?? Why not flog it?
Having said that, I have one, thinking it’d be good for bathroom tiles, as well as hard floors.
I think I’ve used it twice in as many years. Just not worth the faff.

Witzend Sat 25-Sep-21 11:08:47

I had a potato ricer too, Callistemon - long gone to a charity shop. It took sooo long to do enough even for two of us (we do like our mash).

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 11:11:06

It is in a box of mainly unused gadgets, Witzend and occasionally jumps up and shouts "Use Me"!
I put it back in its place.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:16:11

A fondue set, used once ‘back in the day’
A potato ricer
A microwave rice cooker, takes longer than on the hob
A steam iron press thingy when I decided to iron duvet covers etc. Turns out it’s too heavy for me to lift, but it acts as a table top in the airing cupboard so it’s quite handy for that.
Mr.Oops persuaded me we needed a slow cooker, Nope we don’t.
Mandolin, again a Mr.Oops purchase, plus something that you put batter in and it sends it in little blobs into a pan, German, might try it one day, must not let Mr.Oops out on his own to buy things that ‘we need’.
Bread machine, but I think I’ll just use it for doing the dough and then cook it in the oven, thanks to the poster who said that?
5 sewing machines…………..hmmm not ready to throw them out.
Plus 25 crates of Vintage China, now a family joke.

Daisend1 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:24:39

A very expensive ice cream maker that never saw the light of day.Why waste time making it when there are so many varieties in the shops .

MiniMoon Sat 25-Sep-21 12:52:10

DH once bought an ice cream maker. I used it once. What a faff. I gave it away eventually.

Teacheranne Sat 25-Sep-21 13:00:21

A hand held steam cleaner, a fondue set and a Kaarcher Window cleaner, all in boxes, all hidden away in cupboards! I have never mastered using the Window vac, I ended up with streaks and drips of water on the window sill, it was quicker just to use a water spray and a cloth!

Soroptimum Sat 25-Sep-21 13:01:49

Another mandolin.
Coffee/nut grinder. Bargain from Aldi never been out of the box.
My magimix gets very little use but I’ve had it so long I haven’t the heart to get rid!

Grannynannywanny Sat 25-Sep-21 13:13:58

I bought a juicer several years back, I did use it for a few months but so annoying to clean and it took up too much room on the work top. Now it’s taking up too much room at the back of the cupboard and this has prompted me to get it out and try again or pass it on.

I did pass it on to my DIL when she mentioned they were buying one. I persuaded her to take mine. They weren’t long in giving it back to me after deciding it wasn’t worth the effort.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 13:14:39

I really wanted an icecream maker until I read some threads on GN.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 13:17:12

My bread maker gave up - should I buy another one?hmm

Used about once every 3 months and the last gf loaves made in it were a disaster

Grannynannywanny Sat 25-Sep-21 13:34:25

Callistemon I bought this bread mix in Aldi during lockdown thinking it might be handy to have in the cupboard.

I made it recently and it produced a delicious loaf. Only cost 89p. It’s available in white or whole meal.

Grannynannywanny Sat 25-Sep-21 13:36:24

Oops just noticed you said gf, ignore me!

Shelbel Sat 25-Sep-21 13:39:38

Vegetable steamer and a bread making machine. Sold them.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 25-Sep-21 13:47:37

Bread maker - bought in first lockdown and haven’t managed to turn out a half-decent loaf. A steam mop which just soaked the floors, waste of money. And a polisher for the wooden floors which made them too slippery for the dog.

grannyactivist Sat 25-Sep-21 13:50:17

I’ve cracked this one folks. ?

Because I have a large family we are able to share many of the gadgets and machines that would otherwise sit unused in a cupboard for long periods of time.

sharon103 Sat 25-Sep-21 13:56:33

I bought an electric egg boiler to boil up to 6 eggs about three years ago. It's never been out of the box.
Reading the posts about floor steamers, I've just been put off getting mine out the box. I bought one a couple of years ago, never used.
I love my spin mop and bucket.

Deedaa Sat 25-Sep-21 14:15:34

I'm on to my third breadmaker now and it's used regularly. I really like my steam cleaner, use it to freshen up the carpets as well as doing the hard floors. My pasta maker broke a while ago so I just use a rolling pin.

I have an ice cream maker but DH decided he didn't like the ice cream it made! Then I discovered Nigella Lawson's gelato recipes that don't need all the stirring so it doesn't get used at all now. DH's contributions included a spiraliser that was used about twice and a mould for making stuffed beefburgers. Why would you stuff a beefburger? I afraid these two were out of the house within days of his death. The one thing he bought that really worked was a set of back plastic pockets for making toasted sandwiches. You pop the sandwich in the pocket and the whole thing goes in your toaster. They produce a lovely toastie and take seconds to wash.

Allsorts Sat 25-Sep-21 14:23:02

Kenwood chef with all attachments, took longer to clean than use.
Bread maker, not worth it for two loaves a year. Lovely bakers nearby that does it better.
Spin mop and bucket. Never used.
Vacuum too heavy to lift. Had to get help to take it to the charity shop.
Clothes that look awful on me.
Worst buy ever an expensive sheepskin bomber jacket that makes me look three time my size.
Everything I donated to charity thinking it’s a good cause, except for the coat, if I saw someone in it looking fabulous I would be more furious with myself and probably turn green.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 14:25:28

Grannynannywanny

Callistemon I bought this bread mix in Aldi during lockdown thinking it might be handy to have in the cupboard.

I made it recently and it produced a delicious loaf. Only cost 89p. It’s available in white or whole meal.

Thank you Grannynannywanny
I'll look out for it

Floor steamer and vegetable steamer are used regularly
Although the floor steamer not quite as regularly!