Gransnet forums

Chat

Household things I’m glad I bought

(93 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 25-Sep-21 14:20:34

Having seen and commented on the thread where people are commenting on things they regret buying I couldn’t resist commenting on the things I’m glad I bought.

Mandolin (in use almost every day)
Bread maker (ditto)
Yoghurt maker (weekly)
Electric waffle maker (I have two for when family visit)
Stick blender
Zester
Ginger grater (makes the job so much easier)
Stand mixer
Steam mop
Carpet washer
Dishwasher (how did I manage without for so long?)
Popcorn maker (not just for the children)
Maslin pan, jam funnel and thermometer

I realise there are few things that I’ve bought and have regretted. ?

Amalegra Mon 27-Sep-21 20:00:09

Things I’m glad I bought and can’t live without now:
Ipad
Magimix food processor (20+ years ago and still brilliant)
Alexa (she’s had babies, they’re in every room!)
Extra large smart TV (I can SEE the subtitles!)
Dualit toaster (eco friendly-it can be repaired)
Top of the range non stick cookware ( the joy of no more soaking!)
Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner (hate’hoovering’, this makes it tolerable!)
Flash speedmop
Slow cooker
Much wanted Kitchenaid mixer-my joy!
Things I wish I hadn’t bought (and no longer have…!):
Soup maker (prefer to make soup on top of the cooker the old fashioned way!)
Electric mop (Flash speedmop rules!)
Electric brownie maker (make these all the time-but the oven in the best and only way!)
Biscuit press (never got the hang of it)
Spiraliser-too fiddly.
Egg boiler (really?)

NotAGran55 Mon 27-Sep-21 21:03:08

Weighted blanket has radically improved my sleeping.
Yoghurt maker , delicious organic yoghurt every week
iPad mini , on it now!
Joseph potato ricer, perfect creamy mash and fun to use.

Amberone Mon 27-Sep-21 21:17:48

Casdon

Amberone mine is a Bosch Easyhedgecut, it lasts 4 hours, I use it on shrubs as well.

Thank you Casdon Will have a look

Alishka Mon 27-Sep-21 21:52:56

My Walk and Rest shopping trolley/seat. I've had so many people ask me where I got it, I wish I'd had commission! btw, if you want to check it out, it's made in England (that pleases me), and, for the topers among us, you can get 6 bottles of wine in onegrin

Mistyfluff8 Tue 28-Sep-21 06:22:38

Cassini what size was your Lakeland drier and did you buy the cover please .Interested on getting one have a small one which was a cheap one from the Daily Mail .Have a Hoover tumble drier meant to collect water absolute rubbish so just use it for finishing off towels

Socksandsocks01 Tue 28-Sep-21 08:38:08

Laptop and mobile. Opened up a whole new world. Sewing machine as I've recently took up sewing.

Karen22 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:26:14

Latest thing I've found are microwave steamer bags, brilliant , they cook veg/potatoes so quick and there's no washing up, much healthier too.
I also love my slow cooker and electric toothbrush

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Sep-21 10:38:37

We just recently bought a defrosting tray (unfortunately made in China but what can you buy that isn't these days?) and it's so useful. I bought a frozen block of pastry yesterday lunchtime to make a pie for our dinner. It was rock hard at 1pm and perfectly workable a couple of hours later. Brilliant! (Other makes are available.)

Shandy57 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:49:56

That's nice lizzypopbottle, I put my things to defrost on the washing up rack.

Gabrielle56 Tue 28-Sep-21 15:03:22

Air fryer(for so many things )
Dishwasher(a mere 8 years ago!!)
Huge verandah (conservatory) spend so much quality time there
My tablet( on it now-indispensible!)
Regrets?
So much makeup that I rarely use now and cannot bring myself to chuck!
So much nail varnish ( have covid nails now ,ditched the gels)
So many clothes I now know I never needed, (just sent over 145kg to children's society shop!)
Rubbish end of line Dyson just had to replace after 18months as it's rubbish on mixed surfaces, I have to lift it up!!
All the stuff I bought whilst 'bored' in lockdown I'm now having to ditch and the wasted money!

Elusivebutterfly Tue 28-Sep-21 15:31:22

I have a Ninja multi pot which has seven functions. The most useful to me are the air fryer (replacing the oven for smaller amounts), slow cooker (replaces the separate slow cooker) and pressure cooker (much faster than the slow cooker). I have used it to saute and still to try out steaming. It does combine several gadgets in one.
I would hate to be without my smart phone, laptop and dishwasher.

effalump Tue 28-Sep-21 15:35:49

The only thing on your list that I have had for sometime is the stick blender. I had some of the other cookware items but none of them lasted long, I either binned them or gave away.

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Sep-21 16:31:40

Ah! But, Shandy57 this gadget somehow absorbs the cold from the frozen stuff and defrosts it in double quick time. There's no risk of spoiling it, as you can do in the microwave. It's brilliant if you're in a hurry.

Ethelwashere1 Tue 28-Sep-21 18:59:04

Im glad i bought my slow cooker, makes great hot meals while im out.
My 4 cats
Veg chopper (for the soup)
Halogen cooker, saves using my big oven for one
My tablet and smartphone.
My kindle, although i do love books too.

3dognight Tue 28-Sep-21 21:12:38

A good block knife sharpener.
A stick blender.
A slow cooker.
A wood burning stove.
Wooden floors.
Shark vacuum cleaner.

Rosycheeks Wed 29-Sep-21 10:55:42

Blossoming what a lovely thing to say about MrB. I will say the same about Mr Rosiecheeks.

Mamma66 Thu 30-Sep-21 06:54:13

Slow cooker which is used on a weekly basis throughout the colder months. But the thing I absolutely love are our Samsung the Frame TVs which look like a framed picture when turned off. The attached photo shows our TV in picture mode. They have some free artwork, you can add your own photos, or for £3 a month you can have access to hundreds of pieces of artwork. So much more attractive than an ugly TV. I love it. They used to be eye wateringly expensive and whilst they’re still pricy it was so worth it