Gransnet forums

Chat

I have never been drunk in my life, is this unusual?

(138 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 25-Sep-21 16:14:01

Just a random question for a Saturday.

Have you ever had one too many? grin

Allsorts Tue 28-Sep-21 07:26:21

Didn’t touch drink until about 30, Still not really bothered, but I do love a nice glass of wine and maybe the odd g and t. Remember once having just a couple of sherries, the ceiling came down to meet me and I was violently sick, it put me off it for life. I might have more than a glass if at a party but always stop if I feel remotely squiffy.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Sep-21 07:40:25

If you have reached a certain age and never been drunk would advise not starting now because like other things getting drunk is best left to the young. grin

Naninka Tue 28-Sep-21 10:07:31

Drunk as a skunk!
Lol. Rarely these days but can attest to a misspent youth!! I have a hole in my savings to prove it!

Milliedog Tue 28-Sep-21 11:48:12

Never been drunk in my life though I love a glass of wine, a G and T or a sherry. There were alcoholics in my wider family and I have always been afraid it might be genetic. Also, I'm a Christian and the New Testament is clear on never getting drunk on alcohol, so it's not even an option for me.

effalump Tue 28-Sep-21 15:26:26

I used to like a drink and occasionally get merry. However one year I had so much to drink that as I arrived home, I projectile vomited all the way to the loo (too much info?). After that I kind of wondered how those guys who drink heavily with their mates and throw up in the street regularly cope with that. I decided then and there to stop drinking and have been 99.9% teatotal for at least 15 years. The o.1% is for the glass of sherry I have at Christmas. The thing is, I really don't miss it at all. In fact if I'm with people who are getting tipsey, it's quite funny to watch them.

Vetnry Tue 28-Sep-21 15:27:33

I am fortunate in that I inherited a very poor tolerance of alcohol from my Mother - couple that with a job where you have to be available 24/7 - that means I rarely drank at all ‘till I retired. The last time I had a genuine hangover was as a student. To be honest now I do have the odd glass but hate even the remotest feeling of intoxication. I dread the possibility of losing my self control - my flash point is low enough as it is.
And there are so many less destructive things available to us that give a 10 times better buzz.

rosie1959 Tue 28-Sep-21 15:37:17

One thing I have noticed from comments on this thread is many admit to being tipsy rather than drunk sounds much nicer lol Where as in fact if you have had enough to feel tipsy you are in fact drunk
Now I have gone through all stages so have a wide experience drank very little until my late thirties was sometimes a little ‘tipsy’ then spent around 4 or so years as a practicing alcoholic have been sober now for 20 years still an alcoholic but don’t drink any alcohol

Gabrielle56 Tue 28-Sep-21 15:38:05

Drunk as a skunk from 14-50 with 8 years sober in middle when had DS X 2 .then hysterectomy stopped it in its tracks! Why? Dunno, hormones ?! Whatever the reason I can now either have one, a couple or none for months.....like a normal person .weird or what?

Eloethan Tue 28-Sep-21 17:47:28

I have only had one occasion when I was very, very drunk. That was in my late teens. But I have been drunk on several occasions (not falling down drunk or outrageous behaviour drunk - just suddenly hearing voices a long way away and feeling very disconnected) - not recently though.)

anniesgrannie Wed 29-Sep-21 15:18:22

Never, are we in the minority?

Lucca Wed 29-Sep-21 16:06:54

rosie1959

One thing I have noticed from comments on this thread is many admit to being tipsy rather than drunk sounds much nicer lol Where as in fact if you have had enough to feel tipsy you are in fact drunk
Now I have gone through all stages so have a wide experience drank very little until my late thirties was sometimes a little ‘tipsy’ then spent around 4 or so years as a practicing alcoholic have been sober now for 20 years still an alcoholic but don’t drink any alcohol

Well done !

Smurf52 Wed 29-Sep-21 19:13:14

I got merry (and on occasions drunk!) on social occasions from teenage to around 60. I’m not that keen on alcohol since reaching my late 60s, apart from one occasion a couple of years ago. My DiL and I had a girly night in. I was getting merry on Prosecco. Then she plied me with shots. The next thing I know, my partner had to come and scrape my unconscious body off the floor. Since then not a dribble of alcohol has touched my lips!