Gransnet forums

Chat

A bit of nostalgia. Remember these!

(269 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 30-Sep-21 22:49:28

Embassy coupons. Green shield stamps. A pair of nylons.

A Ten shilling note. Winkle picker shoes. LSD.

A fountain pen. Brylcreem. Winkle pickers.

Bouffant hair style. A spin dryer. 33 RPM records.

A wind up record player. Stiletto heels.

DanniRae Sun 10-Oct-21 19:17:06

My mum used to buy Friars Balsam and I spent many hours - or so it seemed - with my head, covered in a towel, over a bowl of Friars Balsam and hot water breathing in the steam for my catarrh problems. I'm not sure if it helped?

Grannynannywanny Sun 10-Oct-21 11:12:34

My Mum was a great believer in bread poultices for drawing out an abscess and it did seem to be effective. Bread soaked in hot water and applied between 2 layers of gauze then a bandage layer to retain the heat.

annodomini Sun 10-Oct-21 11:00:53

Oh bow I miss kaolin poultices...not! When I was six, I was rushed into hospital with pneumonia and a huge poultice covered my entire chest. Somehow I recovered. At 14, an ear infection developed into an abscess behind my ear. Mum administered kaolin poultices to 'draw out' the infection. By that time antibiotics were available - by daily injection but the GP lanced the abscessshock

lemsip Sun 10-Oct-21 10:40:55

I had mumps and dad put a kaolin poultice on it in a scarf tide on top of my head, what a picture!

if I ran an errand for a neighbour and got a few pennies I would get myself a single sachet of Sunsilk shampoo.... sometimes I got silvikrin for a change.....There was one called Gloria in a see through bubble.....anyone remember

nanna8 Fri 08-Oct-21 12:18:44

A swing lady who used to be in a little hut at the side of the swing park. No one under 7 was allowed on the slide. In those days kids went to the park on their own without mums and dads present. I think we were a lot more resourceful.

mrsmopp Fri 08-Oct-21 12:06:34

The council.cut the grass in our playing field. We dragged the cut grass into a huge pile in front of the swings, then leap off the swing and land in the grass pile. Over and over.
Our clothes were stained green from the grass. Oh the joy of it!

baubles Fri 08-Oct-21 09:02:42

What a lovely thread, I’ve come over all nostalgic.

For very bad scrapes my mother would apply a kaolin poultice, I had one in hospital when my very long appendectomy wound got infected. For any sores in the mouth there was gentian violet and others have mentioned the cod liver oil and the orange juice which was doled out on a daily basis. Rose hip syrup was another one.

I remember Sing Something Simple on the wireless on a Sunday evening, the clothes drying on a pulley in the kitchen, coal fire blazing, steamed up windows and a pot of soup on the cooker.

Ink wells and nib pens for handwriting practice at school.

JackyB Fri 08-Oct-21 08:52:58

My mother kept sugar and a couple of other things in National Dried Milk tins. I think they eventually went rusty. I remember the blue and white design.

She kept a blue bag somewhere under the sink to apply to wasp stings.

I have a photo of me in a party dress aged about 9 with my lip all swollen up after some treatment at the dentist. I had been given cocaine as an anaesthetic. My mother was livid about the swollen lip

Roller skates with lots of nuts and screws and leather flaps which tied like shoe laces and kept coming undone. I never did learn to skate.

nanna8 Fri 08-Oct-21 03:13:30

Neck o’ mutton stew with carrots potatoes and onions. Pretty tasteless but by the time you ate it the mutton was nice and tender . Cheese and potato pie when mum ran out of money at the end of the month.

Granmarderby10 Fri 08-Oct-21 00:02:04

Camp coffee reminds me of our holidays in a touring caravan. We had it made with hot milk.
The particular smell of the gas mantle lights in the caravan. Hearing early morning sounds of people chattering on the way to the wash rooms and to collect water, while we were still tucked up in sleeping bags.
The smell of the fresh grass through the opened windows while parents filled the kettle and fried eggs and bacon. That first cuppa, always so good.

Kate1949 Wed 06-Oct-21 23:13:39

We thought Camp coffee was exotic!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Oct-21 22:55:41

Oh yes, odorono.
Gibbs dentifrice toothpaste.
Drene shampoo.
Camp coffee (still use it in cakes).
Evening in Paris and Goya Black Rose perfume (Mum).
Miners and Outdoor Girl makeup from Woollies, black eyes, pale lips.?
Diamond mesh stockings.
Mary Quant coloured tights (being at school I couldn’t afford MQ clothes).
Trying to cut my hair in a Vidal Sassoon style (unsuccessfully).
Really sticky hair lacquer in squeezy bottle (Woollies again).
Rawhide, Bonanza, Laramie, The Cisco Kid, so many cowboy programmes in the 50s/early 60s.
Sunday Night at the London Palladium and the dread of school next day.
Meet the Huggets on the radio Sunday lunchtime.
Calling lunch dinner, and dinner tea.
Wandering the lanes picking flowers, couldn’t risk it today.
Tinned spaghetti on toast.
Fish fingers when they first came out.
Surprise dried peas - lovely!
Mum’s apple pudding and custard, wish I had the recipe.
Ice inside the bedroom window.
Liberty bodices.
Those woolly hats with loops all over.
Fake fur hoods (what did I look like?).
Going home for lunch every day then finally being allowed to stay for school dinners.
Bunty and School Friend comics, later Honey and Jackie.
Lovely black fake fur coat and beret, bought in pieces from Honey magazine and Mum sewed them together for me.
Blue suede knee boots, would have loved the pink too but couldn’t afford both.
Gosh, so many memories. What a lovely thread.

mrsmopp Wed 06-Oct-21 22:46:40

We used Camp coffee to flavour our home made sponge cakes. We never drank the stuff. We only ever drank tea.

lemsip Wed 06-Oct-21 21:37:00

oh yes, we used odo ro no deodorant back in the sixties....A white cream in a little pot.

Hellogirl1 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:21:55

We used Camp coffee at the canteen where I worked, it`s disgusting stuff!

Kate1949 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:56:22

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Camp coffee. I loved it. We have a retro tea shop near here and they serve it. I tried it for old times sake. Yuk.

mrsmopp Wed 06-Oct-21 09:48:13

O Do Ro No
- funny name for a deodorant!

Shelflife Mon 04-Oct-21 23:53:41

So familiar mrsmopp, I remember those words so well. Mum always stopped whatever she was doing to sit and listen with us. A very happy memory .

creativeness Mon 04-Oct-21 19:18:43

Almost all of the above Aqua Manda perfume hooped petticoats long straight hair backcombing

watermeadow Mon 04-Oct-21 18:27:25

I was a greedy child and still remember my first chip (age 7), first taste of coffee (age 10), first pot of yogurt (age 16)
My first pair of tights came at age 18, long boots the same year. Petticoats a bit later along with make up and jewellery, years after most of my friends. At age 20 came mini skirts and long straight hair.

Granmarderby10 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:24:37

? ??

Lucca Mon 04-Oct-21 10:23:18

NotTooOld Sun 03-Oct-21 22:48:21

Oooh, yes, talking of catalogues, we used to get hold of old sewing pattern books. We would cut out the dress pictures and set up a 'clothes shop'. We also designed our own paper dresses and added them to the shop rail.

Moth62 Sun 03-Oct-21 18:57:36

My auntie bought me my first proper nylon tights (American Tan) costing 9/11d - Prova brand from British Home Stores.
My mum had a big old mincer that she clamped to the table.
The excitement of getting the latest Burlington catalogue from the lady who lived nearby and looking through it cover to cover, even the boring houseware stuff. She used to give me her old ones and I cut out pictures of furniture snd pasted them to the inside of a shoe box to make a house.

Witzend Sun 03-Oct-21 16:43:35

Not exactly nostalgia, but, ‘Sit up straight! Take your elbows off the table! Don’t talk with your mouth full! Put that down and cut it!’ etc. from my father, who was extremely hot on table manners.
OTOH I was v glad later in life that I knew how to behave - especially since an older friend of ours had such appalling table manners, there was always a fight as to who was not going to sit opposite him. It was not a pretty sight, or a pretty sound, either.