Gransnet forums

Chat

have you got your heating on yet?

(140 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 05-Oct-21 14:20:17

I have resisted the temptation to put mine on. I find that when i am doing things round the house and garden that layers are keeping me warm enough. Thicker PJ's at night keep me warm in bed, wool socks and fur lined slippers keep my feet cosy. When i sit down in the afternoon/evenings, i make a hot water bottle which i put in the small of my back and with a throw and the sitting room door closed i feel quite cosy and warm enough. I am scared of running up a large bill and as there is only me in the house i can complete these economies without affecting anyone else. I will feel easier once i have my winter fuel allowance as i will set that aside to pay towards my gas bills.

Sara1954 Thu 07-Oct-21 20:47:53

I thought I would probably put it on this week, but when I ordered more oil, and realised how much it had gone up, I thought I’d hold out a bit longer.

dogsmother Thu 07-Oct-21 20:53:37

Well with gas switched off and rads removed…… we are awaiting electrician to come and put new oil/ electric rads in and then perhaps I will have heating to put on !

Forsythia Thu 07-Oct-21 21:09:33

We’ve put flanellette sheets on the bed. They make a big difference at night for keeping warm. Bought from John Lewis a good few years ago and very hard wearing.

mokryna Thu 07-Oct-21 21:47:12

Sitting here with an electric throw over my knees. It served me well last winter, fully recommend one.

Mollygo Sat 09-Oct-21 09:17:48

Came back after a few days away thinking the house would be cold, but it wasn’t.
We bought fleecy bedding for winter last year-what a pleasure. The sheets and duvet cover are never cold to get between. We put them back on during the cold wet snap and bed has never been so appealing.

halfpint1 Sat 09-Oct-21 09:57:39

Here in central France it's been unseasonally cold all week,10 degrees this morning,so yes my heating is on

StoneofDestiny Sun 10-Oct-21 23:14:06

No / house is so hot I’ve got windows open. We live in a very highly insulated house and it’s south facing. Half the back of the house is glass - so like a greenhouse for a lot of the year. Downside is summer can be too hot.

Kim19 Fri 15-Oct-21 14:44:46

Nope, still managing to resist and, happily, I'm not at all co!d

Witzend Fri 15-Oct-21 17:36:31

Ours is going on at about 5 or 6 pm lately. It’s not automatic, we use the thermostat thingy. We turn it off again at around 10.

123kitty Sat 16-Oct-21 13:39:13

DH and I snuggle up on the sofa under a warm throw, but still have the heating on.

misty34 Sat 16-Oct-21 23:42:02

Mine is set to come on at 18 degrees. It hasn't hit that yet. I just wear jumpers and have been washing the throws and blankies [as we call them]. Dog has his supply too. I could not afford to have it coming on at a higher heat. When I was working it was on a timer but now I am up from 6am to 12 pm could not afford to run all day. So far so good.

Teacheranne Sun 17-Oct-21 01:15:43

misty34

Mine is set to come on at 18 degrees. It hasn't hit that yet. I just wear jumpers and have been washing the throws and blankies [as we call them]. Dog has his supply too. I could not afford to have it coming on at a higher heat. When I was working it was on a timer but now I am up from 6am to 12 pm could not afford to run all day. So far so good.

Where do you live Misty34? Here in Greater Manchester my heating has kicked in for quite a few mornings as the temperature has dropped below 18 degrees - mine is set at 10 degrees overnight until 6am then 18 degrees during the day until 10pm. I increase it to 20 degrees in the evening when I sit down if my nose feels cold.

I have no intention of changing that pattern, luckily I have sufficient income to cover the increasing energy costs but I do appreciate that not everyone is as fortunate as myself.

I received a FB post today about a local food bank that is very low on certain supplies as there is already a huge demand on their services so I’ve ordered a number of items off their list on my online grocery order so I’ll drop them off next week. I support this food bank as it serves people in my local area and my WI have regular collections for them.

BlueBelle Sun 17-Oct-21 08:21:32

My heating is a gas fire and no I haven’t put it on yet I use a hot water bottle at my back in the evenings when I m sitting that does me fine
My daughter has central heating but never has it more that 16 18 is the highest she would ever go in mid winter she can’t afford it any higher and she’s in a good job We both have big old houses though
I think the higher you have it the higher you need it

I m still sea swimming so I guess the house does feel ok ?

Cabbie21 Sun 17-Oct-21 08:46:18

I am really glad of a bit of heat to dry the washing and the towels in the bathroom. I am happy to put layers on to keep warm in the evenings, so only a couple of radiators are turned on at the moment, when it drops to 18.