Gransnet forums

Chat

have you got your heating on yet?

(139 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 05-Oct-21 14:20:17

I have resisted the temptation to put mine on. I find that when i am doing things round the house and garden that layers are keeping me warm enough. Thicker PJ's at night keep me warm in bed, wool socks and fur lined slippers keep my feet cosy. When i sit down in the afternoon/evenings, i make a hot water bottle which i put in the small of my back and with a throw and the sitting room door closed i feel quite cosy and warm enough. I am scared of running up a large bill and as there is only me in the house i can complete these economies without affecting anyone else. I will feel easier once i have my winter fuel allowance as i will set that aside to pay towards my gas bills.

ayse Tue 05-Oct-21 14:28:49

My heating is timed and low and comes on now and then. It’s difficult as DH is far less mobile than me and feels the cold even if he dresses up. He’s no help as he leaves all the doors open and stands at the backdoor, wide open so he can see what’s happening.

I’m very concerned about our fuel bill come the winter. I can generally make do and go to bed if necessary but DH just carries on regardless.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:33:07

No, not yet, as it's not got really chilly here. I have got some fluffy blankets out to wrap up in if I sit down for long!

tanith Tue 05-Oct-21 14:41:09

No I’m usually fine till November I’m not a cold morsel and keep busy during the day and just wear a jumper and a small blanket on my lap if it’s cold in the evening.

BigBertha1 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:44:13

Yes of course its on its October

Elless Tue 05-Oct-21 14:47:06

We did put ours on the other night. OH is on blood thinners and he really feels the cold whereas I'm still having hot sweats grin, we had a delivery of wood for the log burner last week in preparation.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:50:43

I spent £30 on new throws and blankets - so the dog and cat can have 'newer' old ones now. I got them from:

www.onlinehomeshop.com/blankets-throws

and I'm still saving if it means another few weeks without the heating on!

Biscuitmuncher Tue 05-Oct-21 14:56:11

I've still got my windows open

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 14:56:50

BigBertha1

Yes of course its on its October

That was a bit insensitive Bertha. So many on here can’t afford to say that. I’m one of the lucky ones but try never to forget it.

Blossoming Tue 05-Oct-21 14:59:34

It was on for an hour yesterday morning.

rosie1959 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:02:19

No heating yet no particular need not usually on until November

MerylStreep Tue 05-Oct-21 15:13:21

It’s always on but clicks in when temperature drops below 21.

Jaxjacky Tue 05-Oct-21 15:15:29

I don’t think it was insensitive Germanshepherdsmum. The question is ‘have you got your heating on yet?’ It was being answered.

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 15:19:28

Not yet. Our apartment is well insulated (a new build 12y old) and the balcony windows and door face south. I’m sat on the sofa behind glass in the sunshine right now wearing short sleeves! Not bad for 5 October anyway. With the proposed hike in energy prices I’m glad we’ve only got a small place to heat.

Rosalyn69 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:21:00

Oh yes.
I still have my windows open which is probably not ideal but I feel better with fresh air.

Kali2 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:22:12

Just about to light the wood burner smile

AngieA463 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:26:31

No, and still using summer duvet/nightie combination

Blondiescot Tue 05-Oct-21 15:27:29

Why 'of course' just because it's October? Ours most certainly won't be going on some for time yet - and we're in Scotland. We do have a wood burning stove in the living room though and plenty of free wood in a number of log sheds in the garden, so we can put that on if really necessary. Couldn't possibly afford to have the heating on as early as this, especially with the hike in energy prices.

Charleygirl5 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:29:08

I gave in at the end of September but mine is on at 18C. I found myself shivering during the day and I had warm clothes on so I am afraid I succumbed. At least with a smart meter, I am informed of my bills monthly so I will know at the end of this month if turning the heating down a degree may help the bills.

Poppyred Tue 05-Oct-21 15:30:17

I’ve had it on twice this month…so far. Will only put it on when necessary. Extra socks and cardigans/ jumpers first.

Rosalyn69 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:31:11

I feel guilty now for putting on the heating. ☹️

TillyTrotter Tue 05-Oct-21 15:35:08

Yes for about an hour in the early morning. Don’t like main part of house temp. to drop below 19 degs.
We have one of those smart meters that states usage by the day, and we have only the heating and a gas oven coming off gas.
It is registering 0.86p per day this week.
It is worrying not knowing how cold the winter will become and for how long.

TillyTrotter Tue 05-Oct-21 15:36:43

It should do Charleygirl, although energy cost is increasing by quite a bit so you may not notice. ?

Greyduster Tue 05-Oct-21 15:40:55

We put ours on yesterday for an hour while we both had showers and then turned it off as we were going to be out all afternoon. This house is well insulated and never feels particularly cold, but it will certainly be on by the end of the month after the boiler has been serviced. DH made the remark “I might get a onesie this winter.” I fell about laughing at the thought of him parading around in a onesie!

maydonoz Tue 05-Oct-21 15:48:43

Yes our heating comes on for an hour in the morning and evening and we'll increase the time as and when the weather gets colder.
I close all the windows before the heating comes on then open them in the morning when it's off.