Gransnet forums

Chat

Where would you spend the winter?

(49 Posts)
TillyTrotter Sun 10-Oct-21 10:39:12

If you could spend the winter somewhere to avoid the chilliness of the U.K where would it be?
Or do you love our seasons - even winter?

love0c Sun 10-Oct-21 16:37:06

floradora9 I have just been looking at a holiday there. Which resort would you recommend?

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:42:48

Right here - with lots os crisp snow and cold, crisp, sunny weather.

Lucca Sun 10-Oct-21 17:20:24

Italy. Or maybe…..Italy.

TillyTrotter Sun 10-Oct-21 17:25:05

Would you go to Lucca, Lucca.
(I have been several times to that lovely walled city).

blue25 Sun 10-Oct-21 17:32:07

Portugal. January & February are awful in the UK, so we usually spend these months abroad.

SueDonim Sun 10-Oct-21 17:42:07

California.

Lucca Sun 10-Oct-21 17:57:05

TillyTrotter

Would you go to Lucca, Lucca.
(I have been several times to that lovely walled city).

I would ! Or pretty much anywhere (not Naples, not Rimini etc)

adrisco Sun 10-Oct-21 18:06:24

New Zealand. On the coast.

TillyTrotter Sun 10-Oct-21 18:08:31

Tuscany for me ? Lucca in the summer.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:14:48

Tilly, Tuscany can be VERY cold, snowy and windy in winter. Monte Amiata is a ski resort- and the country roads are so bad! You'd need a 4x4 ad snow tyres. But yes, must go once in winter and see how it is. Our favourite area is Val d'Orcia, Pienza.

Lucca Sun 10-Oct-21 18:18:31

Kali it does not matter if it’s cold and snowy, the food the culture the architecture the scenery are wonderful

PaperMonster Sun 10-Oct-21 18:28:58

Another one for Florida here.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:40:17

Agreed on that one Lucca - just mentionned it as many could get the idea Tuscany is warm in winter- it is not smile

PamelaJ1 Sun 10-Oct-21 18:46:37

In Australia with DD.
We decided to spend Jan and February there every year.
Started last year and ended up locked in a hotel room in Perth and desperately trying to find a flight back. We knew nothing of Covid when we went.
I’d be off in January if possible.

TillyTrotter Sun 10-Oct-21 18:58:31

Kali - a place we have stayed in many times near Florence has photo’s framed on the wall of snow over the swimming pool cover and garden.
It is difficult to imagine when we have been in July and it’s 34+ degrees.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 19:00:25

All the roads around where we go, near Pienza- have the snowtyres/chains and snoflakes signs everywhere- and as you say, it makes us laugh - we go in September and it is still very hot.

Urmstongran Sun 10-Oct-21 19:44:36

Malaga.
Less expensive than the UK. Plenty of sunny days in winter. Lovely to walk around in the daytime, enjoying the warm winter sun, seeing the sunshine sparkle on the Mediterranean along the paseo and enjoying the quiet time of the year when there are less visitors. It doesn’t get dark till after 6pm when the cars switch their headlights on. So different to here in the UK when lamps are lit at 4:30pm and curtains drawn. (Although let’s be honest, that’s very nice too). Then stay in of an evening having enjoyed the sunny day. Cosy down for the evening with TV.

Jaxjacky Sun 10-Oct-21 19:57:38

As winter includes Christmas, then here, at home, with our family.

MamaCaz Sun 10-Oct-21 20:22:00

Urmstongran

Malaga.
Less expensive than the UK. Plenty of sunny days in winter. Lovely to walk around in the daytime, enjoying the warm winter sun, seeing the sunshine sparkle on the Mediterranean along the paseo and enjoying the quiet time of the year when there are less visitors. It doesn’t get dark till after 6pm when the cars switch their headlights on. So different to here in the UK when lamps are lit at 4:30pm and curtains drawn. (Although let’s be honest, that’s very nice too). Then stay in of an evening having enjoyed the sunny day. Cosy down for the evening with TV.

Ah, the Paseo Maritimo - I remember it well.

I spent a winter in Malaga as a mature student, in '95/'96.
The temperatures suddenly dropped at the start of November, and I remember putting on multiple layers of clothing to try to keep warm in my rented room in a (then) typical unheated El Palo apartment.
I resorted to running my hair dryer to try to warm my room, until my landlady realised what I was doing.
Luckily, she took pity on me and rooted out an old heater for me to use.
She wasn't so understanding when she found my fellow lodgers (native Spaniards) running the toaster all evening in our shared kitchen for the same reason grin

But I also remember how in January it could be very cold and rainy one minute, then warm enough to sit outside a cafe in shirt sleeves only minutes later when the sun came out.

What was great was being able to go into the centre of Malaga on a dark winters evening, to a restaurant, the bars, the theater or whatever, and not feel threatened making my way home even near midnight. Whole families, including babies in pushchairs, were still, on the streets until really late!

Urmstongran Sun 10-Oct-21 20:57:07

Still the same re safety nowadays MamaCaz. Another reason I love it there.

Yes it rains & can be cold. We wrap up but just know that in a day or two the sun shines and is WARM again! Bliss.

None of the wall to wall grey and unremitting bad weather we get here during winter. Days of hoods up, brollies opened, dashing about whilst looking at the pavements so we don’t slip.

A blue sky, lighter nights, ‘longer’ days and general warmth. Good for the bones, Vitamin D levels and general well being.

Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 21:00:58

Jaxjacky

As winter includes Christmas, then here, at home, with our family.

Yes indeed- we will travel to be with family, because this is what matters - as they can't come to us this year.

hollysteers Sun 10-Oct-21 21:12:18

Rome, I love capital cities with lots going on, I’m rather bored now with my seaside home of many years, but have found plenty to occupy myself. Its not the same as a city though.
I do like the seasons here, but our winters are too long for me and I hate the wind!

Jaxjacky Sun 10-Oct-21 21:24:10

Kali2 we spent 2015-2018 from March to October in France, coming home was for the family, we then stayed here.