Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's warm and welcoming kitchen for kindly folk.

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 14-Oct-21 12:58:04

Help! The old kitchen door is locked. I'm wandering hither and thither like a lost soul. Has a new kitchen been opened please? I hate being this side of the door.

soop Fri 15-Oct-21 17:29:04

My very best wishes to you lovely lot for the pleasant weekend you so richly deserve.

Thank you for your company. smile moon

brook2704 Fri 15-Oct-21 18:11:55

Just like you say soop no news from the NHS for ages and then when you’ve sorted something else out they get in touch! But the main thing is that you’re finding out if anything can be done to help - so let’s hope it’s a good outcome
Beautiful flamingos grandmafrench thanks for the picture. I hope your blood test went ok today and it wasn’t vampire like
Keep resting Blossoming in preparation for the party tomorrow
Hopefully the week of looking at bare walls and sparse furniture will pass quickly ann and the decorators are there
soon
Just in from a busy day, the DGC have been safely delivered home and DH and I are in need of a rest! Of course I love them both to bits but DGS who’s just 8 has been pushing the boundaries today and playing me up. Managed to sort him out eventually and we had a lovely time at Brodie Castle, a local NT property. But then on the way home in the car they were both messing about, bickering and teasing each other - how I wish I had a partition in the middle of the back seat to separate them! Anyhow we got them home and now it’s time to relax and enjoy the evening - might just need to open that bottle of ? now too …

muse Fri 15-Oct-21 18:20:32

Early visit for me. Busy afternoon: Roasted a big tray of peppers, leek and potato soup, crusty rolls, rhubarb and orange crumble and all prep done for a curry tonight.

I plucked up courage to look at the photo MrM took at the surgery yesterday ?. Ulcer is improving but his skin will take about a year to completely recover.

Oh it's grand to blether Grandmabatty.

Jax Christmas food shopping ? but you have set me off. Crispy duck will be on my list but just hope it lasts until Christmas. I hear Mr.Blossoming needs a shirt ironed. Is your iron still out?. I know it's one of your favourite tasks. ?

Lots of buses coming along together at the moment Yia. soop, you've made a good decision. MrM sorted out the flu and booster vaccine yesterday with the nurse and today we get a text to say we can book a day at our village community hall. That's us sorted too Charleygirl.

I'll join you in a glass brook. Have a quiet night.

I'm locked into iPlayer tonight and then some more of Our Yorkshire Farm. Just discovered it.

Dogsmakemesmile Fri 15-Oct-21 19:17:27

That is great news soop as I presume you are now faced with options rather than inertia. Will cross my fingers that you get the news and treatment you want.
muse rhubarb and orange crumble sounds amazing.
Fresh bed linen, radio four on.. I'm already in bed. Waiting for Question Time. Today was a beautiful day. Clear blue sky and non stop sunshine. Wishing you all a good evening and peace of mind.

Jaxjacky Fri 15-Oct-21 19:31:50

Funny muse, not…iron gone away, although for Blossoming I would make an exception.
Sued what good news from your son, anticipation or what? ?‍❤️‍?.
ann our decorator rang today, he’s coming next week to do some, a week early, minor panic here.
And GrandmaSomerset if anyone deserves a slight slip in their amenable disposition it’s you, don’t feel bad, your love and care shine through x
Can’t believe it soop, talk about ironic, I would guess the private date may be on less shifting sand than the NHS one.
Lovely catch-up in the pub, but definitely chilly outside, dinner is ready. TTFN x.

Grandmafrench Fri 15-Oct-21 19:58:52

Evening to all you Kitchen lovelies

Brook you need a black cab! Simple! That'd reduce the GC annoyances somewhat. Anno, yes right stretch of coast but nearer Montpellier than Perpignan. The Flamingos are so lovely - and very pink in the evening sunshine.
Yia I just laughed out loud. I am yet to have a photo of me which I'm pleased with, let alone release to the public. Yikes!
Glad you had a great time. Nice time ahead for you, Blossoming, tell your foot quite enough nonsense now - it's party time. Charley very impressed by your vaccine organisation. I've an appointment in 2 weeks, my DH shortly after that. We'll buy our flu vaccine and when we're all done with No. 3., we'll book a Nurse to come out and deal with that.
GrandmaB what a chatterbox. Actually your telephone chat doesn't even come close to my record one : the end of last year, 11 hours with my Son. OK we did break for supper, but otherwise kept going. Only my DH creeping upon me with a cup of tea at 3.30am finally persuaded us to stop. That was some catch up!! Hope that goes some way to explaining why I love to talk to Kitchen peeps.

Happy that you are now covered in medical opportunities, soop, even happier that you are going to give your Private Consultant a chance to get to the bottom of the problem. (Oh, that's not even funny, but you know what I mean.) It's high time that somebody gave you the information you need. Not long to wait now for some sort of resolution that you've been waiting so patiently for. GrannySomerset when you care and you work and hope like you do, it's understandable that you're going to blow a gasket from time to time. Be kind to yourself, lots of deep breathing and a cup of tea and staring into space until you get yourself together. He needs you and there's no way you're letting him down. x

Hugs to you, Panache

NannyT hope that the leak has been stemmed and all is calm chez Topsy. Enjoy your Norfolk trip Gill. I seem to remember the lovely Dragonfly is going down to Sussex this weekend. Enjoy it and I shall keep everything crossed that you don't have problems with petrol. Think that parts of the South East are still affected - certainly in the Brighton area.

I really love Duck, Jax. We used to have ducks - but only for eggs and entertainment! All kinds of ducks, all kind of characters and behaviour. Never a dull moment. I must write all my stories down, they'll still be making me laugh in years to come, I reckon, and I can see why it's true when they say, 'never work with children and animals'.

Today started early with a blood test, then a late breakfast, then some gardening, dog washing, laundry, late lunch - home made courgette and parmesan soup - I've just remembered there's a mango with my name on it somewhere in the fruit bowl, a long email to my Optician in England to ask him to work wonders finding me the right frames for 2 new pairs of glasses and two spare pairs in older frames and new lenses in my Raybans. He works so quickly and is full of good advice which I'm afraid I don't get here, so it's worth the trouble of posting off stuff to England. Then we went for a lovely sunny walk through the vines. The hunters will probably be back again tomorrow hunting something invisible with their bored dogs. We'll wake to the jolly sounds of birdsong drowned out by the Battle of the Somme, so shall gather the rosebuds while we may!

Some wonderful English goodies we'd ordered arrived the other afternoon. Beautifully packed, it was like Christmas morning. We don't worry about buying English stuff but some odd things you can't get here or easily replicate. Now we've plenty of stuffing, stem ginger in syrup, baking powder and yes.....Self-raising flour.

Saturday again tomorrow.....already. Weather looks good and maybe a beach picnic will be a plan. Have a good evening, everyone.
Keep safe, see you soon.
Warm hugs from Occitanie, Anno - no longer called Languedoc Roussillon, I'm afraid.
????

Nannytopsy Fri 15-Oct-21 20:59:06

Evening everyone! The plumber came on time, sorted the problem quickly ( a valve in the pipe) and left. The car has a new timing belt, lots of plants repotted, tender things in the greenhouse and suddenly two DGC overnight!
Rugby on pause, waiting for DH to come down from the story.

Nannytopsy Fri 15-Oct-21 21:05:22

Sorry, had to dash because I could smell the chilli and it was starting to catch!
I hope you all have a peaceful night, especially GrannySomerset.

Grandmajean Fri 15-Oct-21 21:23:27

Short mail tonight folks but have read all of yours and mostly positive news.

Two youngest GC and DS just gone home ! The children have been here since I brought them at 4pm. DS joins them for tea as DIL works late Friday. Helped with the 9 year old's homework about Winston Churchill and watched the 6 year old do a made up dance among other things.

Tired now - think a bit of tele then bed.

Pleased for you Soop - hope your problems soon solved.

Loved yesterday's flamingoes Grandmafrench

I'll have some of that crumble Muse

To all the other lovely people on this thread - have a good night.

Urmstongran Fri 15-Oct-21 21:33:38

‘Evening All’.

What I’d like to know soops is why you think Blossoming would be ironing ironing Mr.Urm’s shirts at her house?
‼️

Rumours have been known to be started on far less ... maybe I ought to check his wardrobe.... He must have heard there’s a ‘PARTAY’ over at Blossoming’s way tomorrow. (Spoiler alert: he’s not one for dancing Blossoming). At least your poorly foot would be safe.

I’ve had good news today regarding some blood tests so I’m a more relaxed bunny tonight. Health anxiety robs me occasionally of all sensible thought. It’s stupid how I can get myself so wound up and in knots but luckily I have friends who can bring me down from the ceiling.

I’m another with fresh clean sheets tonight on the bed. Small pleasures. But in life they add up don’t they? That’s what counts.

brook2704 Fri 15-Oct-21 22:24:39

So pleased you got good news today from the doctors Urms you can try to stop worrying now ? …. well you could if it wasn’t for Mr Urms and his shenanigans around at Blossomings!

annsixty Fri 15-Oct-21 22:29:30

Just back from a super evening with my friend”across the road”
I had a voucher for 25% off the food bill from the Beefeater group so we decided to take advantage.
We had a really lovely meal, and dare I admit it, a bottle of lovely red between us, including a pudding each.Cost with generous tip, £35 each it was so worth it for the relaxing feeling we both came home with.
She has a close and attentive family but we have still decided to go out together before Ch…….S as much as we can, pack all our living into the time we have left, however she is not 80 yet so she has so much more time than me.
Sleep well everyone and enjoy tomorrow as well as you can.

Blossoming Fri 15-Oct-21 23:52:29

He’s in for a shock if he’s expecting ironing Urms ??

brook2704 Sat 16-Oct-21 16:34:25

So pleased you had a lovely meal out yesterday ann sounds like it was just what’s needed
Ive just come in now after a busy day in the garden, I was making the most of the bright dry weather and cutting back plants that have finished flowering and general tidying up. The leaves haven’t really started falling much yet so that job will still need to be done later.
DH was at work this morning for a couple of hours and then he’s been carrying on with painting the fence this afternoon. It’s honestly taking ages, he’s got a paint sprayer but says it’s using too much paint and not doing a very good job so he’s back to the old paintbrush. I’m saying nothing ?
I’ve got loads of things to use up in the fridge following DS visit earlier this week so tonight it’ll be a real mixture of things to eat - a bit of a buffet really with a few chips to go with it … as you have probably guessed by now I’m not very good at cooking but admire all the lovely kitcheners who can rustle up a meal in no time - I must try harder but life gets in the way and I always end up doing other things
We’d bought some really nice bar stools from John Lewis but when they arrived and DH assembled them one was really wobbly. We contacted JL and they were out of stock for a replacement so we had to return them for a refund and start looking for some different ones. That’s another job for this evening

Blossoming Sat 16-Oct-21 16:48:14

Good evening lovely Kitcheners. I’m getting ready for the party as it’s an hour’s drive away and we’re picking up my brother on the way. I didn’t think my foot was swollen, but I can’t get my black ankle boot on and I didn’t want to force it, so it’s the black suede knee boots instead. Will catch you all later, TOYA.

annsixty Sat 16-Oct-21 16:49:15

Good afternoon all.
A pleasant day here in Stockport but I need the heating on.
I am alone now until Tuesday evening as my GD is away for a long weekend.
I had prepared my evening meal short of cooking it this morning so little else to do now.

I had my Covid booster this afternoon at the GP surgery, I had to queue for about 15 minutes but there were chairs outside and everyone was very chatting, jovial almost so the time soon passed.
I am glad I have had that and the flu jab before winter sets in.

You all sound very busy with GC, I loved mine dearly but am glad the minding days are over, I couldn’t cope now.

Away now for a phone char with my D.

Have the best weekend you can everyone.

brook2704 Sat 16-Oct-21 17:13:57

Enjoy the party Blossoming!
Good news about the covid jab Ann all done and dusted now and like you say all ready before the winter sets in

soop Sat 16-Oct-21 17:38:49

This is a very, very late hello and farewell from me to you lovely lot.
It has been a day of busy-busy and comings and goings. I shall do very much better tomorrow. I promise.

TOYA smile moon

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:40:37

brook I have two bar stools and each has a back and they are much more comfortable. Mine take up too much space and I end up dumping stuff on them- not a pretty sight.

I am so lucky, no reaction after my booster yesterday- I hope it stays like that. I am about to cook my supper and I may open a bottle of wine, sit down and watch TV which I will enjoy tonight for once.
TOYA

Urmstongran Sat 16-Oct-21 19:00:07

‘Evening All’.

Just back from a long leisurely stroll around Urmston with Himself. All the bars & restaurants are buzzing ... well it’s Saturday I suppose. Quite a few advertising for bar staff. Wonder if Himself would like a part time job?
?

I’ve had my ‘flu jab at the surgery this afternoon. I went, leaving Himself to the torture of the Man. Utd game on the box!
?

No wine for me. I’m being good. I need to lose weight. I’m giving my head a wobble and reframing it as ‘I want to be more healthy’. Hence the walk earlier. Small steps ...

Enjoy the party Blossoming. Shame about the boots but comfort comes first after an injury!

You really seem to be enjoying life more these days annsixty you are so much more upbeat. SKIing is doing you (and your friend) the world of good!

I like the sound of your evening Charleygirl5. Feet up, TV on, glass to hand, cosy down - what’s not to like on a Saturday night?

Our Yorkshire Lass has just rung. We are driving over tomorrow with her grandpa for lunch in a nice pub we’ve not been to before, near to where they live. I’ve been sent a link so I’ve been salivating over the menu. Yippee, no cooking tomorrow for me! No wine either ...

GrannySomerset Sat 16-Oct-21 19:03:38

DH appears to be suffering from a booster reaction after 2 days. He is not eating (!) and struggles to stand so I am devoutly hoping this is all it is and not a sudden deterioration in his Parkinson’s. Will cope somehow until Monday when, if he is no better, I shall insist in a GP visit. Am so hoping this is not a permanent change as it will mean carers and life becoming very difficult. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

aggie Sat 16-Oct-21 19:07:57

Got my ?for you GrannySomerset , Parkinson’s is a series of plateaus I’m sure it is a reaction and will pass

brook2704 Sat 16-Oct-21 19:14:32

I hope your DH is feeling better soon GrannySomerset and it’s nothing too worrying. I’ll keep everything crossed for you

Susan56 Sat 16-Oct-21 19:38:00

GrannySomerset, my fingers are crossed for you??????

Just a quick visit from me as our busy week has caught up with me?We are just about over the virus we had after three weeks so feeling under the weather and a busy week has done for us.

TOYA and will be back to catch up on everyone’s news tomorrow.

Dogsmakemesmile Sat 16-Oct-21 19:50:42

Fingers crossed for you GrannySomerset. A hard time for you.
Had our usual jaunt out and this time I went into a charity shop and bought books, a glorious bunch of dahlias (or do I mean chrysanthemums?) in the greengrocer and a stash of stuff in Boots. Lovely morning. Just done our on line shop. For once I am not remembering products I meant to order but slipped my mind...
DD is in Paris and WhatsApping photos/videos. So far I've enjoyed parts of the Louvre and seen the Eiffel Tower. TOYA

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion