Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you dislike people who disagree with you?

(181 Posts)
VioletSky Sun 17-Oct-21 22:29:19

Do you dislike people whose values or views don't align with yours?

Or do you dislike people purely because of how they speak to you, differences of opinion aside?

Answering my own question:

I tend to look at people more for what we do have in common and think, oh well we agree on this topic and they had interesting contributions or they gave some lovely comforting advice on that topic so generally won't be rude first and I do work hard not to be rude at all lol.

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Oct-21 09:25:42

oops forgot to include you Doodledog.

lemongrove Mon 18-Oct-21 09:38:18

Unsure if you're talking about real life or forums OP.
Anyway, in both, I have no problem with those I don’t agree with and think there will be some subjects where we will find common ground.
Have noticed on GN posters saying things like ‘Never thought I would agree with ( insert name of poster) but on this I do’.
I always think that’s strange and a bit passive/ aggressive tbh.
There will be many things we can agree on, so I simply say I agree with them ( even though I may not, on the subject of politics.)
There seems to be a lot of hate shown to anyone who is a Conservative, and to Conservative MP’s on this forum, and no
( or very little) of the same directed at any other political stripe.Have noticed it getting worse and worse.
Not sure if it’s simply a result of the Conservatives winning every GE for a long time or something more unpleasant.
I don’t mind what politics or views friends and neighbours and fellow forum members hold, we are all very different and should be able to rub along.
It matters more to me that I like them and they are good decent people.

VioletSky Mon 18-Oct-21 09:41:55

Politically I have always described myself as a moderate, I think I'm part of that generation that's a bit of an equal split on a lot of issues.

Listening to my children and AC I'm starting to think I'm much more left leaning than I thought but I still like people who I don't agree with because I don't think it's always as simple and black and white as we think how people react to things.

Outright bigotry makes me unlikely to want to connect with people on a personal level

hollysteers Mon 18-Oct-21 10:03:59

No usually but my closest very clever male friend, who I call !bloody awkward’ to his face, always seems to take the opposite point of view whatever it is for the sake of it. I keep off some topics as it can get heated.
Luckily we have lots of things we are both interested in.
I think he enjoys the mind bending debates and saves them for me.

Yammy Mon 18-Oct-21 10:25:02

I always had to be tolerant at work, so got used to different views accepting them or coming to an arrangement.
I find people difficult to accept who have firm views on religion and lecture you expecting you to convert. 'DH worked with many people with different religions and we had to entertain, I tried to adapt the menu to be inclusive. Two of my friends were from minority religious groups and took some rap especially at bring and share buffets etc.
I do think I have got more bolshie as I have got older and will now air my views much more firmly and much to DH delight answer someone on the T.V. back or tell the washing machine to be quiet.

M0nica Mon 18-Oct-21 10:31:41

I like or dislike people based on their actions. I dislike those who behave with contempt to other people

But in talking about liking and disliking, we are forgetting the third position on this, which is indifference.

To respond to Blondiescot I do not like animals, I do not dislike animals, I am generally indifferent to them but I abhor animal cruelty. I believe that animals, especially farmed animals have rights to a decent life and a fast end. This has led me to first buy only organic meat and to narrow it further to now only buying local meat farmed to 'Pasture for Life' standards, I rarely eat meat when eating out unless the meat is fully sourced and that meets my personal standards.

These like/dislike/indifference boundaries are very personal and complex and it is difficult to make simple judgements. I can say that I would find it almost impossible to find any common ground with prosletising people of srrange beleifs. The classic example being Anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists.

M0nica Mon 18-Oct-21 10:34:55

I like or dislike people based on their actions. I dislike those who behave with contempt to other people

But in talking about liking and disliking, we are forgetting the third position on this, which is indifference.

To respond to Blondiescot I do not like animals, I do not dislike animals, I am generally indifferent to them but I abhor animal cruelty. I believe that animals, especially farmed animals have rights to a decent life and a fast end. This has led me to first buy only organic meat and to narrow it further to now only buying local meat farmed to 'Pasture for Life' standards, I rarely eat meat when eating out unless the meat is fully sourced and that meets my personal standards.

These like/dislike/indifference boundaries are very personal and complex and it is difficult to make simple judgements. I can say that I would find it almost impossible to find any common ground with prosletising people of srrange beleifs. The classic example being Anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists.

ayse Mon 18-Oct-21 10:44:59

Blondiescot

I'm with GagaJo on this. I can get along quite happily with people who have differing views on many subjects - but there are some where I draw the line, and that includes bigotry of any kind. I'm also always very sceptical of people who say they don't like animals. I know I'll get stick for saying that, but to me, it says a lot about them as a person.

I agree with your (plural) views on racism, sexism, far right politics etc. Narcissists are very damaging and I try to avoid them.

Generally speaking I’m a friendly type and will agree to disagree on most other issues. It’s not worth the angst to make problems.

Redhead56 Mon 18-Oct-21 10:47:20

If we all thought the same it would be a colourless world. I wouldn’t dislike someone just because they disagree with me.

I am passionate about certain subjects but I appreciate other opinions. I am rather a direct person I don’t like people who waffle just get to the point is my motto. I don’t like snide remarks I would react straight away with a sting.

If I don’t like someone I wouldn’t be having a conversation with them in the first place. I have no tolerance of loud ignorant people I would give them a wide berth.

Hetty58 Mon 18-Oct-21 10:53:40

VioletSky, I'd be bored rigid if everyone agreed with me. I do like people to have their own views and opinions - and voice them - but also listen to mine.

I do struggle when their views go against all logic and plain facts, though, especially when they can't even explain them, just say 'That's my opinion'.

Whether I like people, or not, isn't related to whether they agree with me.

Lexisgranny Mon 18-Oct-21 10:53:47

I don’t dislike anyone because our beliefs and opinions differ. Everyone is entitled to their own view. I do dislike being hectored by some who are convinced that their own opinions are the right ones, and that one is somehow inferior because one doesn’t agree. However it would be a sad world if we all agreed about everything and am all for healthy debate just so long as personal remarks are not brought into it.

VioletSky Mon 18-Oct-21 10:56:09

Hetty58

VioletSky, I'd be bored rigid if everyone agreed with me. I do like people to have their own views and opinions - and voice them - but also listen to mine.

I do struggle when their views go against all logic and plain facts, though, especially when they can't even explain them, just say 'That's my opinion'.

Whether I like people, or not, isn't related to whether they agree with me.

I totally agree lol

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Oct-21 11:14:09

Is it not a tribe thing?
I think people gravitate towards others who they share something(s) in common with.
Hobby, sport children etc.

In days gone by, I would be up for a debate.

As I suffer from anxiety, so I avoid newspapers and television news.
Read headlines online once a day.

Now I prefer the quite life and look for the common ground when discussing with friends and family.

ayse Mon 18-Oct-21 11:20:08

MOnica,

I’d just like to make a plea to consider where Anti-vaxers get their information. There are approximately 12 powerful and wealthy people who have made a huge amount of money by promulgating their views via social media. Three are named as Robert Kennedy jnr. Del Bigtree and Joseph Mercola. One of their close supporters is Andrew Wakefield, who said the MMR vaccine caused serious damage to children and is now practicing in the USA. The ‘conspiracy theories’ have been linked to a scenario document produced by the Rockefeller Foundation and World Economic Forum debates on the future of capitalism. Both these documents have been conflated to produce a world conspiracy theory.

This whole mess is so difficult to debunk. As my youngest said, many of the people convinced by this have been brainwashed by everything they have read and have lost the ability to make critical judgment. They are metaphorically down a rabbit hole. It’s so sad to see.

I’ve spent a deal of time researching these people and the documents they use as proof. They have a whole web of presenters and other professionals who use many online platforms to spread anti-vax amongst other conspiracies. It’s these people that have caused this whole movement. It just shows how social media can be used and manipulated by those whose primary aim is to make money.

jaylucy Mon 18-Oct-21 11:23:09

Depends on the disagreement !
If they express an opinion that I strongly disagree with , they won't be a friend for long anyway

VioletSky Mon 18-Oct-21 11:23:43

I have an anti vax friend (aquatance) who always posts things like "if you don't like what I have to say, unfriend me!"

I haven't but lots have and it just makes me sad.

timetogo2016 Mon 18-Oct-21 11:25:57

Not in the slightest.
I do however dislike people who are aggresive in their opinions and try telling me my opinions are wrong,that i don`t tolerate.

Mollygo Mon 18-Oct-21 11:37:41

I fifth it Rosie, Doodledog, Chewbacca and Iam especially your point Doodledog.

Scones Mon 18-Oct-21 12:14:22

I like people who are kind. Those who present their thoughts with kindness and respect for the views of others. I suppose it's a natural progression that those who are kind in their deeds are kind in their opinons and so they tend not to be bigots, racists etc.

Lemongrove's point about 'hate' shown towards Conservatives is interesting. My personal opinion is that Conservative policies seem to me to be less than 'kind' - they seem more focused on money than kindness and I that clashes with my own set of principles. In the past perhaps my reaction to that has been to be less than kind and I need to revisit that as I'm not happy about it. Maybe the generally fierce reaction to Conservatives comes from this, from a clash of ethics compounded by the frustration of the fact that the current system means that despite the majority voting for other parties (including kinder parties) the Conservatives keep winning.

Also, I do observe much sneering towards 'lefties' and criticisms of 'woke' etc...so it's obviously a two way street. I wonder what ethic it is within Conservatives that makes them direct this distain towards the left.

M0nica Mon 18-Oct-21 12:17:17

These like/dislike/indifference boundaries are very personal and complex and it is difficult to make simple judgements. I can say that I would find it almost impossible to find any common ground with prosletising people of strange beleifs. The classic example being Anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists.

Lucca Mon 18-Oct-21 12:23:50

lemongrove. “ Have noticed on GN posters saying things like ‘Never thought I would agree with ( insert name of poster) but on this I do’.
I always think that’s strange and a bit passive/ aggressive tbh.

How strange, I find it the opposite !

Kali2 Mon 18-Oct-21 12:25:54

lemongrove ''There seems to be a lot of hate shown to anyone who is a Conservative, and to Conservative MP’s on this forum, and no
( or very little) of the same directed at any other political stripe.Have noticed it getting worse and worse.''

This is nonsense. Strong disagreement is often expressed about our current Conservative PM, the ERG and the Government, and what they are currently DOING. And it is getting worse, because they are DOING worse, day in, day out.

Many of our True One nation Conservative friends and family feel the same, and increasingly so. As said earlier, the gap is closing, and is becoming abundantly clear, between the promises made and the reality. Brexit which is turning out to be so different to the promises, and so damaging in 100s of ways. Many Conservative are seeing their businesses going down the pan too- perhaps the GAP is becoming wider within the Conservative Party, rather than outside.

Chewbacca Mon 18-Oct-21 12:30:07

I claim Brexit bingo!

Lucca Mon 18-Oct-21 12:31:01

This subject (the OP) was discussed in woman’s hour today in fact, sparked by the David Amess murder. There was an ex Labour MP who spoke with the greatest affection about him, pointing out that in spite of their greatly differing political stance they became great friends.

Lucca Mon 18-Oct-21 12:31:45

Do let’s not turn this into the same old same old…..