Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you feel you have aged since the pandemic

(92 Posts)
Audi10 Wed 20-Oct-21 18:06:26

Obviously everyone ages as the years go by, we cannot stop our body clock, but despite being careful isolating self distancing etc etc, I feel I have, I don’t suffer from anxiety but I do tend to think is this really me lol,

fluttERBY123 Thu 21-Oct-21 15:10:01

I feel I have aged. Not physically. There are just lots of things I no longer bother to do. Small things but there seems to be a gradual letting go. I feel more and more distanced from the family, not that I see them any less but they are all.busy and growing up. I hope it works out that I fade away and become memory. That's a quote I rather like from somewhere.

katy1950 Thu 21-Oct-21 15:36:48

Yes without a doubt I feel anxious, and have lost all my confidence it's sad

Lizzie44 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:22:04

I recognise much of what others have said - the lack of energy, the listlesness, at times the tears. Looking back to the first lockdown I've noticed a rapid acceleration in ageing - physical and mental. I used to be very energetic, got through the household chores with ease, took part in group activities. travelled a lot. I laughed when I was first described as being in the "elderly, vulnerable" category, but now I've lost my confidence and do sometimes feel vulnerable when I'm out and about (juggling mask, hearing aids and glasses) in what sometimes feels like an alien landscape.

I've become more forgetful, often struggle to remember names etc and wonder if it is the start of something more sinister or just stress. I'm aware of time running out, or at least time in which I will be healthy and sound-minded enough to reclaim my pre-Covid life.

And then there is the guilt. I have a kindly Mr L, two supportive (though geographically distant) DDs, a lovely home and money to call Waitrose to my door in times of lockdown. Yet sometimes I whine like a spoilt child because I can no longer swan off on holiday. I try to be better than this and I count my blessings. I have it easy compared to the many suffering since Covid, whether losing loved ones, struggling financially, coping with illness, disability...

queenofsaanich69 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:32:50

Definitely lots more wrinkles,now glad to wear a mask !
Isummer sending you hugs

Fae1 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:36:06

Definitely! At least 10 years ?

bobbydog24 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:41:38

I lost my husband in the autumn before the pandemic began so lockdown was particularly harrowing for me being totally on my own for the first time in 51 years. I also stopped wearing makeup going out, I felt it was a waste of time with a mask covering most of my face.
I think most people, young and old have if not aged they have changed in the way they live their lives. Unfortunately I don’t think the pandemic has brought the best out in a lot of people.

Sadgrandma Thu 21-Oct-21 16:53:03

Yes I've definitely aged during the pandemic. Fortunately I've avoided Covid but have developed a problem with my hip meaning I now have problems getting around. I'm awaiting a hip replacement. I now feel very miserable as I shuffle about and my grandmother looks back at me from the mirror!

Moth62 Thu 21-Oct-21 16:59:55

Yes, definitely aged, both mentally and physically. I am due shortly to do a long train journey (last did it in Dec 2019) that I have undertaken without a qualm hundreds of times with babies, young children, pushchairs, luggage, etc. I am already getting nervous about it. I almost cancelled the whole trip. However, I really feel it’s important to push myself out of my comfort zone and try to climb out of my shell. But it’s still a scary thought

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 21-Oct-21 17:01:18

I’m so sorry bobbydog?.

I have definitely aged. Put on weight which makes my arthritis worse and have become more reclusive. I know the remedy is in my own hands but the news being so grim and the opportunities for gardening becoming fewer as the weather worsens just make me want comfort food. I like all the worst things!

Kali2 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:06:51

Not since the pandemic, but since Brexit really. The disappointment in the UK I love has truly hit me, big time- and same for my OH. The pandemic just made it even worse.

Pedwards Thu 21-Oct-21 20:56:02

I don’t necessarily feel that I have aged and did actually enjoy parts of lockdown, but I feel differently about things now than pre pandemic. It’s difficult to explain and I’m not sure it’s purely Covid. I don’t think it helps that we have a completely incompetent government who are wrecking the country and since Trump there is little world leadership. It all makes me feel quite sad and I worry for the future for our children and grandchildren. Covid and lockdown has just added to this.

Sorry for this sad outburst, I’m normally very upbeat and optimistic. A few more weekends away over the next couple of months with friends will hopefully help.

MayBee70 Thu 21-Oct-21 21:47:42

I know exactly what you mean, Pedwards….

Margiknot Thu 21-Oct-21 22:17:48

I too have felt that life in general has become narrower- less positive since the brexit vote ( and the lack of civility and divisions that accompanied and followed it - and then Covid! I think I’ve lost confidence in both myself and to some extent humanity in general rather than physically aged!

jeanio Thu 21-Oct-21 22:18:25

I thought it was just me, when I look in the mirror now I see a wrinkly old lady and never felt like that before ,although I am in my mid seventies. I've also put on some weight.grrr.

lemongrove Thu 21-Oct-21 23:05:45

The honest answer to the OP is no, I don’t, thankfully, but only have to look at GN some days to age very quickly.....the sheer amount of anger and general moaning must put years on many people.

Kali2 Thu 21-Oct-21 23:07:42

You have no idea the responsibility some of the 'head in the sand' and blind support of this Government contributes to this anger. As for general moaning comment- what a good example.

lemongrove Thu 21-Oct-21 23:17:58

Will not be engaging with you on this topic or any other kali

lemongrove Thu 21-Oct-21 23:20:34

jeanio

I thought it was just me, when I look in the mirror now I see a wrinkly old lady and never felt like that before ,although I am in my mid seventies. I've also put on some weight.grrr.

Most people have put on some weight this last year jean one of the unfortunate by products of lockdowns.
I am now walking so much more, as I think exercise is the key more than food itself.

Nannina Fri 22-Oct-21 00:06:01

I shielded for nearly a year and a week before shielding ended was diagnosed with arthritis of the knee and hip and two weeks ago was diagnosed with emphysema. I think this is the ageing process rather than the pandemic but diagnosis and treatment has beet adversely affected by Covid.

Neva2bananna Fri 22-Oct-21 00:45:25

I am of the mind that the pandemic took a lot of my vitality out of me. Days of self isolation cocooning inside 4 walls has seen me chose my comfort in food and the consequent weight gain. I feel incredibly lethargic and although circumstances have denied me the pleasure of being a Grandma/Nanna, I am certainly of the age that many of my friends are and so this led me to register with this group and I am so glad I did!
I find that everyone I have read about and listened to has been so very kind and courteous to one another. This is so comfortable and I want to thank each and every one of you who takes the time to just be kind. Sadly this seems lacking in younger groups. Do we become gentler with age or are we of a different generation who were just born with more consideration for others?

nanna8 Fri 22-Oct-21 05:18:53

Today was our first day of (relative) freedom so I went out with DH and sat in a pavement cafe and had lunch in the sunshine. I can't tell you how happy it made us both. We saw friends we hadn't seen for months, just to smile at and chat. What a relief.

Cabbie21 Fri 22-Oct-21 09:04:33

It has certainly done me good to get out and about more in recent months. On the whole I can’t say we have suffered too much in lockdown and are still being very cautious.
The other day I went for a walk in a country park, had lunch outside, then ticked lots of things off my to do list back home. It felt good, so I have resolved to be more active.
DH on the other hand, stated yesterday that he doesn’t care if he never sees people again. That quite spooked me, and I said I felt that would be a diminished existence. We need to be as active as we can whilst we can.

luluaugust Fri 22-Oct-21 09:20:28

Yes I feel as if I have aged, I carry a kind of sadness about how things were before. Like fluttERBY the GC are now all grown up and time has moved on, the AC are all in full-time work so the family side of things naturally means less contact. Friends are now more hit and miss, health problems mean there is less getting together. A long winter I fear even though we are thrice jabbed and flu vaccinated.

Marmight Fri 22-Oct-21 09:30:44

Yes. I seem to have been inflicted with ‘can’tbebothereditis’. Too much time alone, too much overthinking, too much dwelling on the past, too much wondering ‘what if’, too much eating, too much sitting has rendered me thus. I also seem to have developed a few irritating but non life threatening ailments too. However, it’s been nearly 2 years and who knows how much we would have aged & changed in that time under normal circumstances?

MerylStreep Fri 22-Oct-21 09:42:24

lemongrove

Will not be engaging with you on this topic or any other kali

You know it makes sense ?

In answer to the OP, no. When lock down hit I carried on seeing 2 daughters as their mental health was far mor important than any virus i might catch
One elderly neighbour in the early stages of dementia needs constant help.
We had a lot of road/ garden get togethers. I carried on my garden jobs all the way through etc etc.
Very busy in my own home doing all the paint work. Spending hours on the phone keeping friends spirits up because I’m a glass full person.